Reloading same weight heads but with different manufacturers?

91 grains of H1000 is probably going to be the sweet spot for my NM with the 265 ABLRs.

The question I have is one of my favorite loads out of my .338 Lapua is 96 gr. H1000 with a 250gr SGK. I would like to experiment with other 250gr. heads.
Hodgdon is telling me max. charge for a 250gr. head is 98 grs. of H1000 and Berger is saying a max. charge of H1000 for their 250gr. head is 90gr., as an example.
I am wondering why such a difference in charge for the same weight head? I certainly don't want to lose velocity or performance.
Different tolerances? Can different manufacturers change pressure that much with same weight heads?
Thanks.
I load a 338 RUM for my sons longrange rig. I use 225gr Nosler Accubond's and over 100gr of retumbo. For 3250fps... it's an absolute HAMMER!

If I was shooting hogs with 338 LM, I think I would be shooting one of the big HP match bullets...especially if you are stretchin out the shots!

You dump that much energy in a pigs shoulder...going to be a bad day for that pig!

I went to the range today to try out my test loads.
Savage 110BA LE, 1:9, Nightforce NXS 8-32x56

I started with the Barnes 225 gr. TTSX. Using H1000 Powder.
The 3 charges I tested were 96, 97, 98Grs. 1.25-2.5" groups was the result.
I was getting 3024, 3050 and 3084 FPS. Max charge for this head was 98.8 grs. (per Barnes data)
I was a little disappointed on both speed and accuracy.

The Berger 250gr. Elite Hunters where charged 88, 89, 90grs. 90 max per Berger. They gave me .75-2".
The 88gr. gave me the best accuracy but was only 2680 FPS. Max charge for this load is 90grs.
which gave me 2750FPS.

My current load is 250g. SGK, 96gr. H1000 @ 3050FPS. With sub moa.

I was really hoping for at least a 3150fps, accurate load with the 225's
and to get a good Berger load going at least 3000fps.
I am thinking there is a little room to work with on the Berger charge. 2750 seems a little slow for max
load.

Going to do some more research and testing.

The question I have is one of my favorite loads out of my .338 Lapua is 96 gr. H1000 with a 250gr SGK. I would like to experiment with other 250gr. heads.
Hodgdon is telling me max. charge for a 250gr. head is 98 grs. of H1000 and Berger is saying a max. charge of H1000 for their 250gr. head is 90gr., as an example.
I am wondering why such a difference in charge for the same weight head? I certainly don't want to lose velocity or performance.
Different tolerances? Can different manufacturers change pressure that much with same weight heads?
Thanks.

it certainly can change pressure greatly to do this. Case in point, when I was new-ish at this, I discovered my max load for 208 amax in .300 win was over max(Stiff bolt) with a 200 grain wood Leigh weldcore. Even though it's a bit lighter, way more bearing surface and more importantly much thicker jacket. Match bullets have thin jackets that do not resist engraving and thus create pressure as much as "hunting" Bullets.
If your only gripe with Sierra match kings is a failure to open up I'd suggest Berger or a tipped match bullet, hornady eld m comes to mind, not sure if Sierra makes a TMK for 338" but that'd do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.