Same powder mixed from different containers

hvychev77

Hi all, so i've got 2 containers of H4895 opened that i've used for loading for a .308. My issue is now i'm unable to find it locally and i'm wondering if I combine the 2 containers if that creates any risk? I've loaded from both containers with no difference that i've noticed in performance. Would you mix the 2? thanks. hvychev77

if they are the same lot number do it. If not use 1 container up until there is not enough to get a full load then toss that into the remaining container and mix well IMHO

Hi all, so i've got 2 containers of H4895 opened that i've used for loading for a .308. My issue is now i'm unable to find it locally and i'm wondering if I combine the 2 containers if that creates any risk? I've loaded from both containers with no difference that i've noticed in performance. Would you mix the 2? thanks. hvychev77

I have done this under similar circumstances with no issues. I would not mix the more recent versions of Hogdon "temperature stabile" labeled powders with the earlier non labeled versions.

I'm with Grey fox, I mix imr 4350 all the time. I couldn't get 8lb for a while during the shortage and they would only allow 3lbs per customer per day. So I just brought them home put them in my 8lb jug and mixed it real well and never had a problem..

I mix powder lots all the time. One container gets too low to make enough ammo out of, and below the pickup level of my Chargemaster 1500...So I'll pour what's left of one into the new lot, then mix them up VERY thoroughly (Marking my new container as a "Mixed Lot" so I know it has been blended). Chances are that if there's not much of 1 lot, and a whole new container of the other, then it will mix just fine and you're rifle might not even notice the difference.

However, it's always good to do a quick 3-shot group to check. Or run a quick ladder test just to be positive as to whether or not it affected the burn rate, and might have caused a difference in accuracy.

I mix them as a matter of course to keep things consistent. I'd rather have five lbs. of identical powder vs. five pounds where each one varied a bit. That way my load isn't changing every time I open a new container.

I use a bunch of US 869 out of an 8 pound jug. It never empties. Every time I come across a bottle I just dump it in and shake it.

Works well for me.

I use a bunch of US 869 out of an 8 pound jug. It never empties. Every time I come across a bottle I just dump it in and shake it.

Works well for me.

sounds like me with rl22 and rl25. I've never had any issue with lot #'s messing things up but I try not to run my pipes on the ragged edge either so a # either way in pressure matters ZERO to me as long as the accuracy is still there.

I have mixed different lots together with no issues. BUT. . . . .suppose you do this and it turns out to be a "hummer" load? If it is, when you run out,how you gonna duplicate the blended powder?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.