Rifle decisions

JMack

2 weeks until mule deer hunt....what do u take....

22" barrel 7mm08 140 accubonds easily holds 1-1/2" groups at 300

Or

26" barrel 300rum 200 accubonds or factory Barnes 180s easily holds 1-1/2"-2" groups at 300

And throw this out there....7mm08 shoots the 160accubonds into a cloverleaf at 200 yards but they are slower....

Decisions!!

You are going to hear things like
"whichever you shoot better" and I can agree to that, to a point. I may just say use the one that suits the parameters of the hunt. You may also hear "you don't need such a canon for deer", and they be right. However the higher BC bullets at higher velocity have a better purpose than just delivering more so called energy. They have increased external ballistics, such as decreased wind deflection and bullet drop.

Taking human error out of the equation (like a flinch) or knowing your actual set ups or velocities and just using what I would think were average velocity per bullets in each cartridge:
If the ranges are far and/or the wind is a big factor (as in known to have higher velocities) in the area you hunt, then the .300 all day long. The 160 Accubond from the 7-08 will give you a noticeably higher probability of a hit over the 140 in higher winds at longer ranges, and the 200 Accubond at RUM velocity can double the 160's at longer ranges in some decent winds.
If it's a long range shot take a long range gun. If you say 3-400 yards then eehh, whatever.:D
I agree on taking both, I always take a backup when traveling (sometimes even a spare scope). Then just reach for the one that meets your needs for the day.

Last edited:
Both rifles will cleanly take the game you hunt and at the distance you intend to hunt so It just becomes a matter which rifle you feel most confident in.

As recommended, take both and decide when you get there depending on the terrain and weather which one you feel most comfortable using.

J E CUSTOM

Did I miss the expected engagement ranges? All I see are the rifles' grouping potential at certain ranges.
Or am I reading that wrong?
You are correct rifles shoot similar in accuracy/consistency....slight edge to the 7mm08

I'm expecting shots to be 500 and in likely average to be 250-350. My buddy has been on this ranch multiple times and witnessed shots from 50 to 350

Gotcha
Though no chip shot, 500 and in is not what I'd consider long range. I think the 7mm-08 would be fine, leaning towards the 160 Accubonds. A mid range gun for a mid range shot. But like I stated the .300 offers better ballistics at all range, the further the distance the greater the difference.

Gotcha
Though no chip shot, 500 and in is not what I'd consider long range. I think the 7mm-08 would be fine, leaning towards the 160 Accubonds. A mid range gun for a mid range shot. But like I stated the .300 offers better ballistics at all range, the further the distance the greater the difference.
I was kinda leaning towards the 7-08 160s myself. Save the 140s for coyotes

Both. Never take just 1 unless it is back country. I would carry the lighter of the 2 rifles normally.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts