Deer rifle build.

Because 98% of people don't do something isn't nonsense that just means you follow the herd. Boat face are not doesn't make a difference. And I will say this the reason I run a long action with that 6.5 PRC is because I also run that same action with a different barrel in a 300 win mag. One action with options. The other reason is that 6.5 PRC when I load it in a short action I don't have the length in my magazine to seat out as far as I want. So what do you have to say about tikkas running nothing but long actions and the military haven't used the m24 chambered in 308 as a long action? My guess is you think that they're nonsense also

You run a switch barrel, gotcha. Completely different scenario than the OP is asking about.

The military doesn't always do things correctly 😂😂🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️...lowest bid over quality all day everyday.

OP also said that they would hand load. Your theory on having to restrict a long action rifle to long action cartridges is nonsense. But I do see that you failed to address tikka

You can very easily run a 260ai, 7/08, creed, etc in a long action. The only nonsense is preaching you can't.
LOL...you are exactly right!
I ran a 6.5 Creedmoor in a long action because that's what I had to build on. Worked fine.
Then removed that barrel and spun up a 7mm-08. Works fine
Had another LA receiver that I put a 308 barrel on and load long... Works fine.
What's another 1/2" stroke when you have "0" mag restrictions.

I also have 7 SAUM, 284 Win, and 6.5/284 on long actions. Not a problem with either.

Just me.

Last edited:
OP also said that they would hand load. Your theory on having to restrict a long action rifle to long action cartridges is nonsense. But I do see that you failed to address tikka

Tikka does it for cost of production. I thought that was easy enough to figure out yourself.

Tikka does it for cost of production. I thought that was easy enough to figure out yourself.
But it's still a long action and they run short action calibers in there so is it nonsense? I find a kind of funny too on how narrow-minded people can be with people thinking outside the box. I'm guessing that maybe We should all just be followers and not leaders That's right That would make a sheep. If being a sheep makes you happy then be a sheep I have no problems with that. But I'll be the sheepdog

Long action + Long action cartridge = Sheep

Long action + Short action cartridge = Sheep dog

What is Short action + short action cartridge = ???

I am re-thinking my suggestion, 6.5x284 may not be 'out of the box' enough. Not sure I could handle folks judging me as a 'follower' or 'sheep' based on my cartridge selection. I want to be a SHEEPDOG too!!

Good grief.

Long action + Long action cartridge = Sheep

Long action + Short action cartridge = Sheep dog

What is Short action + short action cartridge = ???

I am re-thinking my suggestion, 6.5x284 may not be 'out of the box' enough. Not sure I could handle folks judging me as a 'follower' or 'sheep' based on my cartridge selection. I want to be a SHEEPDOG too!!

Good grief
Short action + 22 short, long, or magnum= trailblazer

6.5x284 or even straight 284 would be a good choice but if OP wants factory ammo there is very rarely any of either in Canada, not sure about in the states. 7 PRC or 6.5 PRC would be a good choice if he wants to have the bolt opened

I've killed deer with multiple calibers and looked long at 6mm or 25 cal. Just like a bigger bullet diameter. Don't really want to use a brake due to how loud they are. There effective, I just have sensitive hearing. Would the 284 be worth considering??? Lack of factory ammo but should be easy to find brass.
284 is my vote. It's on my short list.