Illinois deer rifle

IndianaMatt

Hey Y'all,

I am planning an out of state hunt to Illinois next gun season. Illinois has a limited list of legal cartridges and must be single shot. What would you all recommend? Below I will post a list of legal cartridges. Let me know what you would choose in rifle and cartridge.

Thanks

Attachments

• IlSingleShotRifle.pdf
    114.4 KB · Views: 716
Are you committed to a new to Illinois single shot cartridge?
I would recommend taking a look at the Savage 220 slug gun. Mine is plenty accurate using 2.75 or 3 Remington accutips and you have 3 shots.
Off the list I would say the 300 BO.
Good luck on your hunt.
Exactly what I have and what I use when I go to Illinois.

500 Nitro Express and I'd run a bonded bullet, not a TSX, I don't think the TSX would open up anywhere near what a guy would want with such a lightweight animal for caliber.

Would be interesting, TC Encore, muzzle brake, wear hearing protection.
Beat me to it! My 270 is obviously far too dangerous to be legal in Idaho (I don't live there thank God). Yay 500 Nitro!

My brother bought his son in law and one for himself, a traditions outfitter g3 in .350 legend to hunt Pennsylvania with. Pretty dang accurate and pleasant to shoot rifle plus very easy to carry

I left out an important piece of info- my apologies. My 11 year old daughter will be using the firearm also.

I understand the Savage 220 is a great option. I just want a rifle. I own a Remington 870 20ga with a Hastings rifled barrel from the Indiana shotgun only days.

Anyone have any experience with the CVA single shot rifles?

I left out an important piece of info- my apologies. My 11 year old daughter will be using the firearm also.

I understand the Savage 220 is a great option. I just want a rifle. I own a Remington 870 20ga with a Hastings rifled barrel from the Indiana shotgun only days.

That I do! Have CVA Scout in 300 BO. The trigger is great! For a single shot break action rifle, it may be the best. Very good accuracy. Handy little gun. Threaded barrel , what's not to like?

Perhaps the 500 nitro isn't such a good idea 🤣

Look at one of them in.44 mag. Recoil will be less than a 20 gauge. Or even.357 mag. Just keep it within its ability.

Recent Posts