Illinois deer rifle

No one has asked what I would deem to be the most pertinent question: "Do you plan to use factory ammunition or reload for it?" That question is the crux in cartridge choice as far as I'm concerned. I'm in Iowa and have been killing whitetails with single shot pistols there (and in MN) since 2002. If limited to a straight wall cartridge in a single shot and you reload, I would reach for the .357 Remington Maximum. There is a HUGE selection of available bullets for reloading that will kill deer nicely, from 158 gr. jacketed up to a practical useful limit of 200 gr. in this cartridge. The best bullet I've used is the 180 gr. Speer FNSP. Because your daughter is involved, don't be scared to get a brake (use hearing protection!!!). I've killed deer well past 200 yards with the Max and have yet to "catch" a bullet in a deer, which tells me that I haven't hit the yardage limit yet. You could have some lighter loads for your daughter, like a 158 gr. Hornady at 1600 fps, that would be very easy on the recoil and you could load up the 180 gr. to 2100-2200 fps depending on barrel length. I'm getting 2100 fps with 30 gr. AA1680 our my 18" barreled pistol.
If you don't reload, then the .350 Legend is the way to go, hands down. Start her with lighter bullets and limit range to 100-150 yards. Placement is everything. Guys here in Iowa have been complaining that the .350 Legend isn't sufficient, which is ridiculous. I would argue that their bullet placement isn't sufficient. The advantage you have going this route over slugs is less recoil and not spending $5 to pull the trigger. If you reload and go with the Max it's even less money which means more practice. Any .357 Mag rifle can become a .357 Max simply by running the chamber reamer into it and throating it properly. If you go this route and can't find components, PM me. I've got quite a few jacketed bullets of various weights from when I was teaching Grace to shoot my Encore pistol for deer hunting. I've also got several hundred of those 180 gr. Speer, though I've seen them in stock recently. Have fun! Pictured is Grace with her latest Iowa buck that she shot in December with the Max. Easy 75 yard broadside shot. She punched hit ticket beautifully. Two of her four younger siblings got to sit in the blind with her and watch her shoot. it was a great day. Good luck hunting with your daughter! 11 is the age that I first got Grace into the blind with a gun. :)

Attachments

• Grace 2022.jpg
    Grace 2022.jpg
    730.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Grace 2022a.jpeg
    Grace 2022a.jpeg
    885.9 KB · Views: 85
I was in Illinois/Indiana during the rut this past season and learned about the upcoming change, so I have already given this some thought. I already have a couple of weapons that fall into the approved category, but if I didn't and was putting something together, I would definitely go with a 350 Legend. Hornady puts out a couple of pretty good loads for it too.

I see they make the CVA in a 444 Marlin. Anyone have experience with the 444? Recoil?
It's a thumper and maybe not suitable for your daughter. Inside 100 yds with the right bullet it'll take anything in North America. The 265 Hornady Interlock was made for taking deer with the 444, and a hard cast 300 at 2100 fps will take anything else. Brown bear included.

I see they make the CVA in a 444 Marlin. Anyone have experience with the 444? Recoil?
This isn't a direct answer but hopefully it may help, and hopefully you reload, I do have a 444 in a old converted 94 winchester, and several cva's but not in 444, the win it very light with a steel but plate, I found shooting 240 gr jacketed bullets the rifle is very fun to shoot, however the fun went away when I switched to 300 gr, they thump significantly harder, the cva will be a little heavier with a good enough recoil pad, and a much better than average trigger, having several they are a very handy rifle to have, plus you can get replacement butt stocks easly and cheaply, or at least you could when I got started on them quite some years ago, i started my daughters with a 223 and a 708 I bought a youth model rifle and a second adult model stock which I think was 35.00, so if you reload I would take a serious look at something look the Barnes 220 X bullet or the hammer 205 gr, however if you don't reload I think you are mostly stuck with the 265gr slug,

45-70, 300 grain XTP , R15 , Varget , IMR 4198. Shoot until you know where it hits to 250 yards. Good luck!
While the 45-70 will certainly do the job, when it is loaded up to full power it has some serious recoil. I have one in a Thompson center contender handgun, one in a TC cabine with a 16 1/2"barrel, and one in a lever action carbine. I like to let the pople who tell me 'recoil doesn't bother them' shoot the TC carbine. Some of them can get two or 3 shots off then they are done shooting for the day.

this may not be a popular answer and if you don't have option to use one or want to buy/build one it may not be for you either, but for me I choose the 45 cal smokeless muzzle loader, hands down they trump anything else allowable with the drawback of only having 1 shot and long reload times but a 300 grain pittman aeromax traveling at 3100 fps allows me to point and shoot to 300 yards (6" drop) and way better wind corrections than my savage 220 or the ruger 450 BM,
I made a 250 yds shot on a nice 10 pt last year with mine, simply put in the vitals and pull the trigger and down they go if you do your part
also the max range is well beyond 300 yds if you learn the gun

No one has asked what I would deem to be the most pertinent question: "Do you plan to use factory ammunition or reload for it?" That question is the crux in cartridge choice as far as I'm concerned. I'm in Iowa and have been killing whitetails with single shot pistols there (and in MN) since 2002. If limited to a straight wall cartridge in a single shot and you reload, I would reach for the .357 Remington Maximum. There is a HUGE selection of available bullets for reloading that will kill deer nicely, from 158 gr. jacketed up to a practical useful limit of 200 gr. in this cartridge. The best bullet I've used is the 180 gr. Speer FNSP. Because your daughter is involved, don't be scared to get a brake (use hearing protection!!!). I've killed deer well past 200 yards with the Max and have yet to "catch" a bullet in a deer, which tells me that I haven't hit the yardage limit yet. You could have some lighter loads for your daughter, like a 158 gr. Hornady at 1600 fps, that would be very easy on the recoil and you could load up the 180 gr. to 2100-2200 fps depending on barrel length. I'm getting 2100 fps with 30 gr. AA1680 our my 18" barreled pistol.
If you don't reload, then the .350 Legend is the way to go, hands down. Start her with lighter bullets and limit range to 100-150 yards. Placement is everything. Guys here in Iowa have been complaining that the .350 Legend isn't sufficient, which is ridiculous. I would argue that their bullet placement isn't sufficient. The advantage you have going this route over slugs is less recoil and not spending $5 to pull the trigger. If you reload and go with the Max it's even less money which means more practice. Any .357 Mag rifle can become a .357 Max simply by running the chamber reamer into it and throating it properly. If you go this route and can't find components, PM me. I've got quite a few jacketed bullets of various weights from when I was teaching Grace to shoot my Encore pistol for deer hunting. I've also got several hundred of those 180 gr. Speer, though I've seen them in stock recently. Have fun! Pictured is Grace with her latest Iowa buck that she shot in December with the Max. Easy 75 yard broadside shot. She punched hit ticket beautifully. Two of her four younger siblings got to sit in the blind with her and watch her shoot. it was a great day. Good luck hunting with your daughter! 11 is the age that I first got Grace into the blind with a gun. :)
Taking the kids is awesome isn't it? I have never been one to video anything but as soon as my daughter started hunting I purchased video gear!

That .357 max sounds interesting. I do reload so that isn't an issue. I will look in to this some more. Thanks for the info!

this may not be a popular answer and if you don't have option to use one or want to buy/build one it may not be for you either, but for me I choose the 45 cal smokeless muzzle loader, hands down they trump anything else allowable with the drawback of only having 1 shot and long reload times but a 300 grain pittman aeromax traveling at 3100 fps allows me to point and shoot to 300 yards (6" drop) and way better wind corrections than my savage 220 or the ruger 450 BM,
I made a 250 yds shot on a nice 10 pt last year with mine, simply put in the vitals and pull the trigger and down they go if you do your part
also the max range is well beyond 300 yds if you learn the gun

Well it just so happens I own a really nice TC .45 ML. Never attempted to stretch it out but it will shoot ragged hole groups at 75 yards.

I'm leaning towards the CVA in 300 blackout or .350 legend. I own one in .35 Whelen (wish it was legal). For the price they are a fine rifle. The .444 is interesting but don't think the kids will be able to handle it. I know the blackout is on the weak side.

I was just told that you can use a bolt action magazine fed rifle with the magazine removed and not with you. OR you could modify a bolt action repeater to act as a single shot.

Thoughts???

We are required to use straight wall cartridges in Ohio, I'm using a T/C Encore.44 mag rifle/ and pistol Hornady 240 grXTP H-110 and a .375 Winchester rifle using 220 gr Shock Hammer and RL-7 you won't be disappointed if you try them.

Recent Posts