Illinois deer rifle

It's amazing to me how the original intent of a law always gets pushed to and beyond the meaning…maybe?

muzzleloaders to single shot rifles (SML)
Trad/compound bows to air bows/crossbows
shotguns to rifles

Makes you wonder why the various need for different weapon seasons. Just an observation.

I left out an important piece of info- my apologies. My 11 year old daughter will be using the firearm also.

I understand the Savage 220 is a great option. I just want a rifle. I own a Remington 870 20ga with a Hastings rifled barrel from the Indiana shotgun only days.

Anyone have any experience with the CVA single shot rifles?
*** no accuracy guarantee. Slug gun shoots better. CVA rep said you should have bought cascade xt bolt gun if you want moa accuracy guarantee otherwise single shot is what it is- 450 bushmaster shot high low and never grouped closer than 3" @ 100yds with some shots landing 8" high or low of point of aim. Rep said you can send it in but none on shelf if it safely fires ammo we call it good. Cascade xt shot 3/4" to 5/8" 3 shot groups with 3 different brands of factory ammo. Stay away from ftx bullet doesn't perform well on deer. Bearcreekballistics.com makes some awesome ammo for 350 legend, 450 bushmaster, and 44 mag. Handloading some 240HV bullets for cva bolt action rifle.

45-70 cartridge loaded with a 300 grain Partition in an H&R Buffalo Classic. 1895 Marlin Cowboy with a wooden dowel in the magazine tube also makes a nice single shot, if ur a lever gun guy.Ya can easily mount a scope on either rifle and both will cloverleaf 3's at a 100yard mark. If them deers are out there at 1/4 mile mark, use those Barnes pointy 350gr TSX or similar.

Last edited:
Not sure how accurate this information is but- an Illinois conservation officer told me the rifle had to be permanently single shot. He said his understanding is that it must be impossible to make the rifle a repeater. He did say the law was new and he may not have the facts right.

Anyone here have clarification? If his statement is true it rules out practically every bolt or lever gun.

I shoot a TC G2 Contender in .45 cal. 1.5-6 x42 30 mm Nikon Monarch Gold.

Attachments

• IMG_0580.jpeg
    IMG_0580.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
Hey Y'all,

I am planning an out of state hunt to Illinois next gun season. Illinois has a limited list of legal cartridges and must be single shot. What would you all recommend? Below I will post a list of legal cartridges. Let me know what you would choose in rifle and cartridge.

Thanks
Interesting. I hunted in Illinois for 12 years. Shotgun only back then. I used an 870 pump with rifled slug bbl and shot the federal .45 cal sabot rounds. I could get out about 125-150 yards with a scope. Took one 11 point at 125. I would look at the TC Encore series made by Thompson Center. You can put a light caliber barrel on it for your daughter, and switch barrels for your own use. Its really quick to change bbls. Very handy single shot, breech loader for centerfire cartridges. Last count I had was it was made in 27 different calibers, including shotgun barrels.

At first when I saw this pass I was excited about using my 45-70 or 444 Marlin. Yes I could render either a single-shot.

I still would have to do some modifications, more extensive testing. After thinking some, I'll just stick to my Knight Elite ML. For a host of reasons, I think it's a better choice with that 10 pointer at 120 yards.

The Knight has a great, adjustable trigger, is very accurate & stacks up deer like a single-shot 308.

Last Fall I took 2 shots, a 10 point at 115 yards, then a bedded doe at 75 yards. Both did a short crazy run after the shot, down within 25 yards.

If it was a true free for all, I'd take my bolt in 284 Winchester.

Hey Y'all,

I am planning an out of state hunt to Illinois next gun season. Illinois has a limited list of legal cartridges and must be single shot. What would you all recommend? Below I will post a list of legal cartridges. Let me know what you would choose in rifle and cartridge.

Thanks
2 of my buddies go to OH every year and got hooked on 450 Bushmaster given the limitations. Link below shows IL follows suit with the 450. I know they paid under $400 shipped on sale for their Ruger American 450 rigs at Bud's Guns. Want to say last fall was year 4 with them also use in GA on their property no complaints yet.

Can you use a smokeless muzzle loader during this season?

If yes, what is the minimum caliber the muzzle loader can be?
I don't know the definitive answer, but, if you look at post number 1
by the OP, there is an attachment. Download it. It lists every caliber that can be used with barrel lengths, and notes. It is clear that these rifles must be single shots only. I would start there, and go back to the Illinois DNR regs myself to see, but at least logically if you meet the caliber in the attachment, and its by definition a single shot muzzle loader, I don't see why not? All of these single shot calibers use smokeless powder just in a cartridge vs. muzzle loader. This attachment is straight from the Illinois regs. I looked it up. You need to do more due diligence but I sure would think so?

I don't know the definitive answer, but, if you look at post number 1
by the OP, there is an attachment. Download it. It lists every caliber that can be used with barrel lengths, and notes. It is clear that these rifles must be single shots only. I would start there, and go back to the Illinois DNR regs myself to see, but at least logically if you meet the caliber in the attachment, and its by definition a single shot muzzle loader, I don't see why not? All of these single shot calibers use smokeless powder just in a cartridge vs. muzzle loader. This attachment is straight from the Illinois regs. I looked it up. You need to do more due diligence but I sure would think so?
With out doing a deep dive my gut tells me yes that would be legal.

I'm leaning towards just using the .45 TC ML I have. It works well. I was looking for a reason to purchase a new gun but nothing other than a Ruger No. 1 really interests me in a single shot.

At first when I saw this pass I was excited about using my 45-70 or 444 Marlin. Yes I could render either a single-shot.

I still would have to do some modifications, more extensive testing. After thinking some, I'll just stick to my Knight Elite ML. For a host of reasons, I think it's a better choice with that 10 pointer at 120 yards.

The Knight has a great, adjustable trigger, is very accurate & stacks up deer like a single-shot 308.

Last Fall I took 2 shots, a 10 point at 115 yards, then a bedded doe at 75 yards. Both did a short crazy run after the shot, down within 25 yards.

If it was a true free for all, I'd take my bolt in 284 Winchester.
I also have a .284 Win bolt gun. I made the mistake of building on a short action. If I could rewind time I would pick a long action.