Deer rifle build.

jahollis2

Planning on building a rifle for deer and hog hunting. Going to be using a remington long action. Shots will be no longer than 350 yards, wanting to use either 6.5 or 7mm with a low recoil and muzzle blast. Planning on something the grandkids can shoot. I'm thinking 140gr bullets or less. Factory ammo a plus and I can reload. Been debating on 6.5x55, 6.5-06, 7 mauser, or 280??? I have thought of 6.5 swede ai or 7mause ai. But I think that might be more trouble than it's worth. What is yalls suggestions?

The long action is the catch. My first thoughts are 6.5 Creedmoor with 110 to 120 grain bullets to keep recoil down for the grand kids. Second thought is 7mm-08. On a long action, I would think the 7x57 or 6.5x55 would be sound choices. Plenty of kill power, good bullet selections with both, mild report, and not so big to scare off the kids. For simplicity sake, I wouldn't AI anything. You also didn't mention whether it was a standard or mag bolt face, but assume standard with the rounds you mentioned. Ive had good success with the Creedmoor and 110 Lehigh at modest distances. Recoil is noticeably less than 140 class bullets. Kills deer just fine. Also the 120 Barnes TTSX has good field reports so far. With any of the 7mm versions, its a little harder to get lighter bullets that aren't designed as varmint bullets. If recoil mitigation is high on the list, I would steer you towards 6.5s of some version to get the slightly lighter bullets.

If your not worried about head stamp, Powder Valley and Grafs has 8X57 Mauser PVRI Partizan (PPU) casings.

Simple run through a full length sizer.

My daughter is recoil shy.
I built her a 7X57 on a Mauser action.
120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips are just the ticket!!

I'd go 280AI. I have a 6.5x55 (partially AI'ed and throated for SA). In order to get it to run with the good European brass, you need to buy a PTG bolt or have the standard Remington bolt face opened up.

I was very impressed with a friends 280AI. You can load anything down, but with the 280AI you can load it up to almost 7RM levels.

Also, with any AI you can toss in a factory standard round and it will work and you wind up with AI brass at the end.

I'd go 7mm-08 or 280 Rem.
All reloading components are available.
Factory ammo is readily available.
Easily effective for 350 and in with low recoil and muzzle blast.
Can load heavier bullets if needed for bigger game.

I like many other cartridges as well but several have downfalls with component availability and as mentioned earlier, for simplicity sake, may not meet all of the criteria on your want list.

I have a 308 and a 7mm-08 on long action hunting rifles with long COAL's and they run fine.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
280 Rem for the long action. It's practically perfect in almost every way since you have a long action.
280AI is exceptional, but it may make the grandkids skittish.
The 7mm-08 is better for all criteria given except the action length.

260AI, 24" SS bbl., Muzzle Brakes and More brake, 120BT, Timney trigger, McMillan stock. One and done except for a scope. MTG

Planning on building a rifle for deer and hog hunting. Going to be using a remington long action. Shots will be no longer than 350 yards, wanting to use either 6.5 or 7mm with a low recoil and muzzle blast. Planning on something the grandkids can shoot. I'm thinking 140gr bullets or less. Factory ammo a plus and I can reload. Been debating on 6.5x55, 6.5-06, 7 mauser, or 280??? I have thought of 6.5 swede ai or 7mause ai. But I think that might be more trouble than it's worth. What is yalls suggestions?

If you don't mind, why are you wanting to use the 6.5 or 7mm's?

Thinking outside the box, I'd say 25/06, 270 or 06. You could always load them down a bit using H4895 to start them off and it's a heck of a lot easier to find the casing's or the factory ammo if you choose to do so.

Just a thunk, sorry but I just had to suggest it.

I've killed deer with multiple calibers and looked long at 6mm or 25 cal. Just like a bigger bullet diameter. Don't really want to use a brake due to how loud they are. There effective, I just have sensitive hearing. Would the 284 be worth considering??? Lack of factory ammo but should be easy to find brass.