Help me build a mule deer rifle

specter29

Help m build a mule deer rifle looking to stay at 10 lbs bare rifle. Looking for recommendations on stock, action, barrel contour and length, and caliber recommendations. Looking to shoot out to a max of 700yds.

Under 10 lbs for a hunting rig, out to 700 yards, is very achievable. I'd build off a R700 Action, given the ability and availability of custom features. Lots of great barrel makers, although I am biased to bartlien and benchmark. I am actually building a mule deer rifle as we speak, after many hours of research. I chose the 6.5 SAUM (Gap 4s) chamber, which will propel a 130 gr pill at ~3,200 ft/sec, and get you well beyond 700 yards with ease. It should be around 7.5lbs Max, as follows:
1) Rem 700 Short Action - trued
2) PTG fluted bolt w/ magnum bolt face
3) #3 Bartlien barrel, fluted and finished at 24"
4) vias micro break
5) timney trigger (2.5lbs)
6) Manners EH5 (thumb hole) or EH6 (more traditional mountain stock)

Brux 26" fluted #4 contour in 264 winchester magnum in an hs precision sporter stock. I prefer controlled round feed so went with a winchester model 70 classic for the action with a jewell trigger. Bead blasted matte stainless. Looks good and balances perfect for me. I did not have a brake installed.

For that budget, I'd go with a custom action. Have you researched the 6.5 SAUM? Love the performance out of a short action.......ballistics are off the charts. Sherman short mag is another cool chamber.

yep, been handloading for about 8 years.

up to $4,000 - 4,500

what actions do you guys recommend?

I would highly recommend working with your gunsmith on your build too. IIWY, I'd acquire all parts required so all your gunsmith need to worry about is putting it together. You'll be able to pin point the delay in the building process; no excuses on awaiting parts.

There are excellent custom actions (and just as many on barrels) choices to choose from, here's a nice list >>> Custom Actions

I'm currently building on Big Horn Arms SR2 LA. I originally had my heart set on Deviant Hunter | Defiance Machine but I got an excellent price on the SR2 and couldn't resist. I'm really impressed with the SR2 though and can't wait when it is build.

As far as chambering goes, I was going to recommend the .300 Win Mag (1:10" twist barrel or 1:9" twist barrel if you're going to use a heavy bullet that requires it) for the magnum and .270 Win (1:8" twist barrel and you can shoot the heavies: 150 LRAB, Matrix 165/175, and Berger 170) for none magnum. You can also AI it you need the extra OOMP. You'll get roughly 5-6 grains but gain is further realized in brass life. I have Lilja 1:8" 3-groove in my .270 AI and I am very pleased with it.

There are excellent chamberings out there to choose from esp. if you go the wildcat route. It boils down to personal preference ... your personal choice. :D

Your 10 LBS rifle weight goal is fairly easy to achieve depending on the components you end up choosing, i.e., ...

- #5 Lilja 27" is 4 LB (Proof Research makes very rifle barrels Carbon Fiber Barrels - Proof Research)
- McMillan makes a stock that can be made to ~2 LBS
- Jewell trigger is .2 LB

Check out some of the members previous builds here >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/

Good luck!

Ed

Feenix,

I also am leaning toward the 30 caliber with 215 gr Bergers. just not sure which one at this point.

here is what i got it narrowed down to so far with your recommendations.

27"-28" 1 in 9 twist Lilja #5 contour or Bartlien Barrel 3B light bull sporter contour.
Manners T2 or T5 (EH1/EH5 dependant on total weight) stock not sure if i need adjustable or not.
Jewell or Timney Trigger.
Long action way to many brands to pick from (need a lot more research on this one).

Any other Recommendations would be great.

Last edited:
Feenix,

I also am leaning toward the 30 caliber with 215 gr Bergers. just not sure which one at this point.

here is what i got it narrowed down to so far with your recommendations.

27"-28" 1 in 9 twist Lilja #5 contour or Bartlien Barrel 3B light bull sporter contour.
Manners T2 or T5 (EH1/EH5 dependant on total weight) stock not sure if i need adjustable or not.
Jewell or Timney Trigger.
Long action way to many brands to pick from (need a lot more research on this one).

Excellent! Those are very nice choices and I don't think you can go wrong with them. I just ordered a 27" SS Lilja 1:9" 3-groove Sendero contour .308 cal blank for my upcoming project. Should have the barrel in 12-14 weeks.

I know exactly what you mean by choices in actions (Best Bolt Actions - What The Pros Use - PrecisionRifleBlog.com) ... you gotta love that though. :D

You might also want to check out >>> Mausingfield Bolt Action

Since you're leaning towards .300 Win Mag, you might want to consider a muzzle brake too ... lots of choices as well.

Good luck!Ed

Trued remington 700 action 7mm remington mag with dnz mount Vortex scope Alaskan series stock bartlien sporter contour barrel is what I went with only way 9 pounds with 3 rounds in it and issac at Southern indiana precision rifle can set you up

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.