Bullet Decision for Texas Deer Hunt

Because the < 100 yd opportunity is much greater than the LR opportunity in most places here in Texas, I prefer bonded and mono bullets for any MV > 3000 in Texas.

If you're concerned that you might need to shoot at much more than ~300 yds, bring both but I'd keep the <= 100 yd bullet chambered.

But I would guess that >> 90% of the time, the 147 ELDM will work just fine.

Because the < 100 yd opportunity is much greater than the LR opportunity in most places here in Texas, I prefer bonded and mono bullets for any MV > 3000 in Texas.

If you're concerned that you might need to shoot at much more than ~300 yds, bring both but I'd keep the <= 100 yd bullet chambered.

But I would guess that >> 90% of the time, the 147 ELDM will work just fine.
I'm pushing that bullet at 2925fps so it'll be under 3,000fps when it hits meat.

I'm pushing that bullet at 2925fps so it'll be under 3,000fps when it hits meat.
That should be fine. For what it's worth, I have found the 140 Accubond to be very efficient for Texas deer in a lot of different guns with 6.5-7mm bores. Good tradeoff for what is your typical "LR" opportunity here and good performance at close range.

It's been my experience that a bullet that expands quickly does not stop short of penetrating the vital area unless it first hits a shoulder bone when shot using a lightweight bullet. An example would be a 110 gr bullet out of a .308 used for varmint hunting might not make it through the shoulder because there is not enough velocity to punch through the bone and make it to the vitals. Kind of like shooting into a steel plate. I have shot the ELDM's without any issue in a variety of calibers. Match the weight of the bullet to the intended game and there should be no issues.
Sierra and Speer 110 grain bullets work wonderful on deer out of .308 up thru 300 Wby speeds. Only problem at 300 wby ya gotta kiss the front quarters goodbye as they're pulverized beyond salvaging! I've used them for a couple decades on whitetails and bears. I've never monkeyed with 6.5 diameter bullets but have on both sides and find they perform just fine! The only tru complete bullet failure I've seen was on an elk it was shot placement not manufacturers fault. 40 yard shot right on the shoulder bone and a 7mag 178 grain Berger vld curled up in a ball. Just like it hit the shoulder joint and literally spun around itself! I found it under the hide a couple inches from the entrance hole!

Recent Posts