Remington 700 quality

Would you buy a Rem 700

• Yes

Votes: 555 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 190 25.5%

• Total voters
The trigger concept is pretty basic, and it spans across all makes and models. If you can't get the factory trigger to adjust to your liking, it's time to start replacing parts. It's no different for Savage, Ruger, Sako, etc. You're actually quite lucky you've got a Remington that has a whole world of aftermarket parts to modify your gun to your liking. The pickings are quite slim with others.

The point is, you buy or change what you need to make the gun work the way you want it to no matter what brand name it is and no matter the part.

You shouldn't be expecting a factory rifle to come straight out of the box and do 100% of what you want especially at our a higher than normal performance expectations.
my problem is if i buy a rifle with an adjustable trigger but it is defective and doesn't adjust at all, having a company rep tell me i should just buy an aftermarket trigger isnt what i would call good customer service. it's not that the trigger wouldn't adjust to my liking it's that it doesnt adjust at all

I have owned alot of remingtons and other brand rifles. By far the remington will hands down outshoot any rifle i've owned out the box. In todays economy alot of people cant aford high end guns. Thats why all the gun companys are makeing cheaper guns.

I had a rem 700 sps varmint .308 with a B/C medalist stock on it. When I did my part it would shoot sub 1/2 moa with my handloads and easily 3/4 with Fed GMM 168s out to 200 yds. By the time load development was over I had decided to give the gun to my brother as a wedding present. My Sav. 110 with a custom barrel in 6.5 284 has yet to impress me over what a remington with a factory barrel can do. I do like the ability modify my savage without having to take it to a smith but I sure do miss my remington. just my 2 centsgun)

I didn't get in on the Poll but I bought my first Remington about a month ago and couldn't be happier! The most accurate rifle factory rifle in my inventory. First range trip, it printed a 3-shot 1/2" group. It is a 300 Win Mag from Cabelas; their BDl, Fluted model in 300 Win Mag. Hope their quality is good; planing on adding more Remingtons in the future.

I just bought a 700p in 308 & paid through the nose for it. Brand new, I had to re bed, re crown & do a trigger job. Trigger practicley had to hit it with a hammer to make it break." I hate to exaggerate" Recomended retail in Australia is $1700 + or - .Can you believe that?

I just bought a 700p in 308 & paid through the nose for it. Brand new, I had to re bed, re crown & do a trigger job. Trigger practicley had to hit it with a hammer to make it break." I hate to exaggerate" Recomended retail in Australia is $1700 + or - .Can you believe that?

Yikes!

Remington's been struggling as of late with trigger issues in the courts. For years gun makers solved their legal problems by producing firearms with very stiff triggers. Finally Savage changed all that and now most of them will sell you a decent factory trigger. I'm no engineer but apparently it's not impossible to design and mass produce firearms with good triggers.

$1700 is a lot of lettuce just to roll the dice. Most gunsmiths love Remingtons. Their racks are full of them.

i've owned several remington 700's over the years and had good ones and bad ones. i owned an older 700 varmint special that i purchased new but without wood stock.i purchased an hs precision tactical stock for the barreled action and did an adjustment on the factory trigger.this rifle was chamberedin 6mm rem. and it shot very well with my handloads. i seen consistent 3 shot groups in the sub .2 range with the factory barrel and hanloads. i loved this rifle and shot hundreds of ground hogs with it at some respectible distances before the barrels throat finally started to give out.i traded that gun off and purchased a new model 700 in .243 that shot like total crap ,even after an entire year of working up loads for it. my old 6mm rem 700 was made in the late 80's and the last 700 i purchased was a 2009 model.i also owned a few savages during the same time and all of them shot great.i have stayed with savage ever since.

not ment tobe a negative comment, so nobody take it that way. OK? We all talk about this rifle or that rifle shooting a half inch group or whatever, and then we say it was a three shot group (I know of one guy that actually posted a two shot group once!). Five and ten shot groups are kind of the norm for group sizes (some groups like ten shots in 22 rimfires). I have a target somewhere in the house that has four shots at well under .100", but the fifth shot is almost 3/8th's inch out of the group. I also know that had the last shot even touched the other holes it would have been nothing more than a fluke incident, and had it done that I would never have posted it anywhere due to all the ribbing I'd catch from folks that know better.

On another well known board for target shooters and such, a well known shooter made comment that there was no factory rifle of anykind that would shoot groups under a half in consistently. Well I was determined to take him to task on this subject after he said six targets (he later said ten to others). I shot three five shot groups near the low three to high two's mark. I felt I was going to show him a thing or two. Low and behold there was a flyer in the fourth group (I didn't call it) that made the group show about .65". The next two groups were right back into the low threes again. I discovered it was harder than I thought it would have been.

My lone 700 will print groups in the threes under perfect condition, but honestly it's pure luck! .45" it will do regularly for about three groups, and by then the copper fouling is starting to rear it's ugly head. But I'm also not whining about it as I rarely shoot seven shots when I hunting coyotes with it. In otherwords plenty good enough. But I also know it's a factory tomato stake

We're all human, and thus we also can jerk the trigger or something else with bad results. Just the nature of the game. I quit hunting woodcock because I got tired of buying 20 gauge ammo and comming back home with nothing but a shotgun to clean (I still think they wear a bullet proof vest!!!). I just laugh about it, and chalk one up for all the woodcock.
gary

Yikes!

Remington's been struggling as of late with trigger issues in the courts. For years gun makers solved their legal problems by producing firearms with very stiff triggers. Finally Savage changed all that and now most of them will sell you a decent factory trigger. I'm no engineer but apparently it's not impossible to design and mass produce firearms with good triggers.

$1700 is a lot of lettuce just to roll the dice. Most gunsmiths love Remingtons. Their racks are full of them.
I love rems also, they are simple & effective, easy to work on ect. I understand they are an entry level long range rifle in the states. I'm prepared to do some work on them. No factory rifle suits everyone. My gripe is the way they are sold over here like they are the holy grail or something & the mark up is horrendus.I also bought a rem 1187 s/a shotty. Cost me $2000 because its restricted. I am a farmer so i can have one. But 2k? I only got 1 choke with it. I emailed rem & stated this & compared to mosseberg you get 5. They didnt respond they just put me on an email list for product updates.What do you do hey?I think i'll probably buy a custom aftermarket rem 700 action next time from someone else.Thankyou for your interest. Reguards A/Shoot

I voted no, but it's mainly that they don't offer lefty's much at present. I have 4 including my 7stw, but only two are lefty. As long as ruger, tika, and browning are offering equal or better quality with more choices for me, they'll get my dime.

G'Day Fella's,

My last two Rem 700 purchases were a Stainless SPS in .223 and a Blued MLR in .338Lapua.

After a little bit of work that I completed myself, the .223 shot an 8 shot 0.400"/10mm group with 55grn B/tips @ 100meters ! I'm Very happy!!!

I'm still in the process of completing a similar amount of preparation work on the .338 at present (and getting my R/dies, components etc together) but I'm hopeful!

A local gunsmith/mate that has re-barreled a few current manufactured Rem 700's and he has told me of some pretty horrendous factory threading of barrels and receivers!!!

Doh!
Homer

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.