new Remington 700 quality

Robster80

are the newer remington 700's pieces of crap ? ive had a few guys say theyre great and some say to stay away from them. was looking at the SPS stainless models.

I have owned many Rem. 700 rifles over the past 40 yrs. and am a bit anxious in regard to any model that is NOT a 700. I have a Rem. 700, SPS, 300WSM that has been a very good and accurate rifle that I bought 2007. This rifle is the SS model and no problems with it. The accuracy is very good...I hand load for all and the 300WSM,SPS has accounted for 18 african plainsgame animals, an aoudad, mule deer, wt deer, mountain goat and more. I will say this, it is imperitive that a good bbl. break in is necessary to acheive maximum accuracy and all around service work. Perhaps I am a bit to jaded when it comes to Rem. 700 rifles, but there are so many after market accesories and such that they are a very good $$$ value. The SS 700 action is very smooth, strong and accurate right out of the box. Never had a 700 that did not shoot well. Having said this I would not give anyone 2 cents for the newer cheaper Rem. models... 788 and such. Just my 2 cents. MTG

IMHO MOST models are still good but there are a few that have let down on quality from the good old days.

Ive been shying away from them lately....going to Win mod70's and to Stillers

IMHO MOST models are still good but there are a few that have let down on quality from the good old days.

Ive been shying away from them lately....going to Win mod70's and to Stillers

yea ive been considering that model 70 extreme weather. just not used to a 3 ***. safety and im so used to hunting with my older 700's the remington just feels right. i may go take a look at the model 70 again tho.

I hear what you gentlemen are saying. Some of the newer models leave something to be desired. Ya' know, I have an old model 70, 30-06 SPFLD. built in 1952, that shoots 150 gr. Accubonds very well. Yet, when it comes to actually going afeild, I grab one my model 700's in varying calibers. I am not normally brand loyal but do like my 700's. Must be that I am older and set in my ways. There are many very good rifles to choose from. Do your research and choose wisely. MTG

The factory rifles nowadays are consistently better now than they ever were. 20 years ago people felt lucky to have a rifle that printed sub MOA 3 shot groups. It's pretty much commonplace now.

1 MOA or better is the bar for mass produced rifles and most manufacturers hit it with extreme consistency to include Remington even though some do nothing but complain about the QC.

The factory rifles nowadays are consistently better now than they ever were. 20 years ago people felt lucky to have a rifle that printed sub MOA 3 shot groups. It's pretty much commonplace now.

1 MOA or better is the bar for mass produced rifles and most manufacturers hit it with extreme consistency to include Remington even though some do nothing but complain about the QC.

Nailed it! Great post.

guess my concern about the qc was since freedom group bought em out. read they use less quality components, things like that. maybe that isnt true tho.

My most recent 700 will do 1/2 to 1 MOA AT 100 yds.

My understanding is the newer ones are made on CNC machines but I don't know that for a fact.

My sps was a junker. It shot better after Remington put a new barrel on it. One that had all the rifling in it but it sure wasn't a 1 minute rifle by any stretch.

morning I have had 3 788 rem's. I changed the triggers, on 2 I changed the barrels.

they r cheap, the 788 has the fastest firing pin to cartridge time. this was advertised

upon the production of the pine box wonder. I have one in 223AI, 29" shilen select

match barrel. bought the rifle from a LRS in California, shot matches with this

combination. when I got the rifle the stock was totally modified to long range

shooting. put a B&C basic stock. filled the stock with birdshot and glass.

I glass bedded the lug. this rifle shoots bugholes.

Remington has been using CNC equipment since at least 1980, and probably prior. CNC whatever means little if things are not processed correctly. Not really knocking Remington, but last I saw they were still using Monarch VMC's to machine the receiver. Nothing wrong with the idea if everything is done right from the start. Having seen the fixture, I can tell you right away it's a poor design done cheaply. Why they never incorporated a drill guide into the design is a complete mystery. Still you can drill and tap holes extremely accurate if you do it right. Others have said they are single pointing the threads now, but I've yet to see a single action without a tap parting line in the threads. Must only be sold on the east coast and west coast! Besides gunsmiths need the money just like everybody else does.

The only thing that has ever seriously concerned me about a Remington 700 is their safety. It works like a teenager with a part time job. The trigger can be replaced, but no matter what I cannot trust their safety.

Still if you just want a shooter right out of the box that works every time. Then buy a Howa.
gary

Remington has been using CNC equipment since at least 1980, and probably prior. CNC whatever means little if things are not processed correctly. Not really knocking Remington, but last I saw they were still using Monarch VMC's to machine the receiver. Nothing wrong with the idea if everything is done right from the start. Having seen the fixture, I can tell you right away it's a poor design done cheaply. Why they never incorporated a drill guide into the design is a complete mystery. Still you can drill and tap holes extremely accurate if you do it right. Others have said they are single pointing the threads now, but I've yet to see a single action without a tap parting line in the threads. Must only be sold on the east coast and west coast! Besides gunsmiths need the money just like everybody else does.

The only thing that has ever seriously concerned me about a Remington 700 is their safety. It works like a teenager with a part time job. The trigger can be replaced, but no matter what I cannot trust their safety.

Still if you just want a shooter right out of the box that works every time. Then buy a Howa.
gary

You do know that after that incredibly biased and ignorant anti-gun "60 Minutes" special on CNBC back in 2010 (which is what I'm pretty sure you're referring to) that it was actually lack of gun safety, neglect, or modification by a 3rd party (or end-user) that inevitably caused the safeties to fail, that caused harm or death. Also, it was neglect on the user's part for having a loaded and cocked rifle in the direction of another human being. Failure to follow proper gun safety procedures was one of the biggest contributing factors.

But in that interview special, they never asked the people if the trigger had been altered after the rifle was bought. Which was really fishy, or the people on CNBC making the report were actually too ignorant about guns to know any better...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.