Remington 700 quality

Would you buy a Rem 700

• Yes

Votes: 555 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 190 25.5%

• Total voters
I bought a Rem 700 Police Tactical in the mid 90s for some dept. shoots. It was before I reloaded and only used Federal match ammo without much success. Groups no better than 3'' so i did not keep it long. Bought a new then .260 in a TC and it will still shoot a .75 all day and is my Daughters rifle now.
The reason im typing this today is my New in the box CDL in 300wsm is the worst copper eating machine I or my gunsmith has ever seen. I didn't catch the copper fouling at first because my bottle of Sweets went bad and was hardly showing any cooper " my bottle had a crack in the cap" and was several years old. I took it to my GS and he showed me the bore at the muzzle and with the naked eye it looked like someone had an cooper colored crayon in it about 30 shots worth. It took 2 hours for him to clean it and a pile of patches. I brought it home to start the process all over again and on the first shoot from a clean bore it looked it the GS never cleaned it. I had picked up a bottle of Butches bore shine and got to scrubbing and waiting, and some more and some more. It took me 45mins to get that 1 shot out. I shot it two more times and two days and 4 hours later its about 95% clean. Right in front of the throat and about 6'' from and to the muzzle is were I meet most of the resistance. I contacted Remington about it and they said to send it to them, so we'll see what they will do.
Hi George, when you get your new rifle in try this. Clean it very clean. Next thing to do is get some flitz and polish the bore until you think it is bright as a new dime. I have done this on many new Rem. barrels and they will shoot and clean like a custom barrel. I recently got a new 308 ADL and followed my procedure as usual. This rifle will shoot 5 shots with 168 Bergers into 1/4" if i do my part. You can get rid of the Sweets also. I use a product called TM bore cleaner that works great. Hope the next one will be better for you. ..... SEMPER FI

Hi George, when you get your new rifle in try this. Clean it very clean. Next thing to do is get some flitz and polish the bore until you think it is bright as a new dime. I have done this on many new Rem. barrels and they will shoot and clean like a custom barrel. I recently got a new 308 ADL and followed my procedure as usual. This rifle will shoot 5 shots with 168 Bergers into 1/4" if i do my part. You can get rid of the Sweets also. I use a product called TM bore cleaner that works great. Hope the next one will be better for you. ..... SEMPER FI

I do the same thing, except I use JB Bore Paste rather than Flitz. It works well too, and I have noticed that the copper fouling is not bad at all.

Interesting thread, I can't comment on current 700 quality but can say that I own 3 "older" 700's and they all shoot under 1". My newest is an original 700 ti in 7-08 and my current 120 load shoots @.520 and is a dream to carry. My only concern is when I get around to trying 140's is the mag. only allows max oal at 2.800 the bullet will sit deep. My second is an original Mt. rifle, .30-06 from early 80's and it has shot any bullet weight I have tried under 1" with most loads being closer to .50"(165,180,200). My third was a model 78 sportsman that became a 35 Whelen AI and it shoots 225 Barnes XLC's at 2880 fps @ .625. All have had very little work done to them other than making the triggers better and making sure the barrels are floated, and working hard on load development.

My brother ordered a 700 in 25/06 and a heavy barrel 308 within the last 6 months, both of the crowns were damaged, that's why I buy Tikka's now.

many moons ago I bought a 700ADL in .270 Winchester. Rifle shot 3/4" groups with Remington factory loads, and I was pretty happy. Later on I came into a new in the box 6mm heavy barreled rifle, and it shot groups close to .60". At the time it was shooting very well. Then I bought a .223 700VS years later. It was a rock solid 4.25" gun with hand loads. Build quality sucked on a good day. But I thought it was just one bad apple out of many good ones. Later I learned that I had joined the masses with rotten apples. My dealer (a pretty reputable bunch said it was just the end user, but soon changed their minds, when I shot better than they could. Pulling other new ones off the shelf, and looking them over it seemed like they were constantly returning them be fore being sold. The dealer almost quit carrying Remington's due to customer complaints. Just prior to that I bought my first Weatherby. A Vanguard in 30-06, and it shot 3/4" groups with Remington 150 grain core locks. But most of all it came with a proof target. Later I buy another, and it shot the same (25-06) or better. Even later I buy a Winchester heavy barrel mod. 70 in .223. It was a rock solid 2.5" gun! Got rid of it as fast as I could! Even later I buy a mod 70 in 22-250, and it was not much better, but I liked the stock better than either of the others. I built a 6BR off the action. This rifle is a solid .33" shooter. (a better operator might get another .100" out of the group size). While all this is going on, I buy three Savage rifles in 22-250. The worst one shot .30" groups and the best one was a solid low twos shooter. Did nothing to any of them, other than mounting a scope. The middle rifle started loosing it's throat after about 1200 rounds, so I did a barrel set back with a new chamber. Groups were only slightly better, but lost most fliers. Looking back, I think most work was a moote point, and maybe should have shot it another five hundred rounds. But it was also a learning experience just like the .223 Remington. It now shoots mid fours with a reworked factory barrel and a lot of elbow grease. The average guy will never want to invest that much time and effort into the cause. I'm stubborn!
gary

I have had Remingtons, savages, and a sako. I have yet to see one last or work better than the other over the years.
Bought a savage 110 in .243. Nice gun shoots well, but stock wood fibers compressed and had the front action bolt coming through the receiver and keeping the bolt from closing. Good barrel, but have had action/bolt issues.
Remington 700 shot easily under 1 moa at first. Then the factory walnut stock warped, tried a plastic stock , accuracy never the same.
Currently at gunsmith getting new barrel, stock ,muzzle brake ,etc. will probably have total of $2500-$2600 total (including rifle purchase ) in this gun to shoot 1/2 moa. This is a 10-15 year old 700, cost me $800 new.
Remington 700 with laminated stock shoots 5/8 moa , no problems to date.
Sako , which cost a good bit more than the Remingtons and has a 1 moa guarantee, shot 3/4 moa on it's best day but more often than not struggles to get to the 1 moa group. Had work done to rifle and now have $3000 total in this rifle. Can now shoot 4 shot group that can be covered with a dime.
If you are looking for a rifle with custom rifle performance, get a custom rifle.
If you can't afford a custom and want to build over time so as to lessen the pain of an all at once purchase, get a remington. Sako parts cost too much. Have purchased extra magazine , scope mounts and rings. ( Can't just buy any old aftermarket mounts ) and had sticker shock on each product.
There are custom rifles on the market for under $4000. These days, you'll have that in a Remington build if you include the rifle purchase, so why bother?
If you want a good $100 to $300 yard rifle, pick something off the shelf you think looks nice and go shoot, however if choosing a wood stock, get a laminated stock. They hold up better and resist warping especially in a climate with weather extremes.

I have had bad experiences with Remington. I have seen wicked accuracy problems in the one (and last one) and my grandfather who is a 700 nut. Brand new 6mm cdl sf limited edition is lucky to get 1 1/2 @ 100 yards. His new browning x-bolt 7mm will out shoot most of his remingtons by quite a bit. The only 700 in his cabinet that will come close is his 6mm rem in a bdl varmint. I believe that there are some better guns out there(just my opinion). The only thing i would want with a remington is for a build. Only thing i like about them is there action.

Well an update from my previous post about sending my rifle back to Rem. I had ordered some Tubbs final finish bore lapping loaded ammo. As bad as the bore was I figured it couldn't hurt! I followed the instructions and noticed an immediate Improvement in the amount of copper fouling. The bore scope showed it still was a little rough, so we hit it with a round of JB and went to the range. I had not done load work up yet so I started with some federal 150 ballistic tips. 6" group and still fouling like crazy. Scrubed it clean and tried some 165 fusion and got it to some. Scrubbed some more and shot the fusion again, printed about an inch. Backed up to 300 yard mark and grouped an inch again. I scrub some more still copper like crazy but it ended up shooting .75 with a led sled shooting off the tail gate. It is showing potential but it has been one hell of a ride. I am posting this from the deer stand with the Piney Woods Thumper in the stand with me. I gave it that name because of the recoil, it weighs 8.5lbs with scope and its a 300wsm.

I think everybody makes a lemon from time to time, but they must own up to it! I once was given a brand new Ruger in 6mm for my birthday. It was a rock solid 3" gun with hand loads (various 85 / 87 grain bullets). My brother gave it to me and said no way; "it'll shoot better than that." I fumbled with it for about six weeks, and then he had his turn. It wouldn't shoot. He in turn gives the gun to Eric Woods (still the best gunsmith I've ever known), and he literally rebuilds the entire rifle as a favor for all the reamers I'd ground for him in the past (hundreds of reamers). He first reworked the factory Ruger trigger into something I'd have bet the farm couldn't have been done. He said the chamber was out of spec, and the Ruger mounting system was not right. God only knows what else he did, as I don't know. The first group I shot with it was a 3/4" group, and by the end of the day it was shooting 3/8th's groups (all five shot). Later I came into another Ruger in 6mm, but this one had the standard barrel. It shot 1.5" groups with bad bedding. I did a very minor rebedding of the front screw area and some minor recoil lug area. Nothing else. It shot 3/4" groups without any serious load development. I might had had two and a half hours of work in the rifle, max.

The Winchesters I've owned were rather consistent as non shooters. Nothing you could do would make them shoot well, but the basics were there. The second one in 22-250 was rebarreled into 6BR, and shoots well. I've since learned a few things about them, and now think I could make them shoot a little better yet. I think every rifle design is a learning experience.

Now I often look at good used rifles, but will not look at any Sako unless it's an older chrome moly action. They made a run of them in stainless steel with some junk metal. I don't know which is which, so I avoid them. The blow ups I've seen are pretty ugly. If it's a Remington, I know upfront that the action has to be trued up. Not a big deal, but also a given. (Winchesters are no better by the way). Their barrels suck, but so do a lot of the others. Yet I simply can't get around the trigger issues. I own a couple Howas (actually Weatherby branded), and they just shoot. Have not done anything to them. All are skinny barrel hunting rifles, and shoot better than I'd have expected. My MK. V.'s are 3/4" rifles out of the box. They almost look identical except for the stocks. I got what I expected from them. I've had a couple Remington's that shot well, and one that didn't. But I'm not afraid of them. Brother inlaw orders in a Savage F116 in 30-06. He takes it out and shoots 3/4" groups with Federal Supreme factory loads. He says he's shoot sub .60" groups with hand loads. I order in a 22-250 single shot Savage with the varmint barrel and laminate stock. Trigger is horrible, but I did some work and got it down to about 3 lb. The rifle shot lid twos. And would occasionally dip into the high ones. It was the first Savage my local dealer ever sold, and the factory sent the wrong rifle! I ordered in a single shot action, and they sent a standard varmint rifle. A guy bought it as we were reboxing it to send back. I got mine two weeks later. Even later I end up with that rifle, and still own it. It shot mid threes when I first got it, and now is a low three's gun. Even later I buy a single shot mod. 12 in 22-250. It started out shooting in the high threes right out of the box. It now shoots mid to high twos (five shot groups) as the factory shipped it. Kinda reached a road block here, as I just can't make it shoot better. I've learned a little bit thru the years, and think a different barrel is the answer. Mainly a 24" heavier contour.
gary

i must admit i was worried as i had paid for a rem and then read this thread but i'm
not any more .

Attachments

• IMG_0670 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0670 (Small).JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 66
So, I am not the only one that has experienced poor quality from Remington lately.
I have a XCR-II in .338 WM. It has been sent back to the factory twice now with less than 2 boxes of shells through it. Both times it has been for bolt problems. I have shot both factory and reloads. I had to actually run out and buy a Tikka T-3 Lite in .338 WM for a bear hunt last fall because the Remington would not function properly. Wish Remington would just refund me the money I am out. Will not purchase another.
The Tikka is a pretty nice rifle out of the box.lightbulb

So, I am not the only one that has experienced poor quality from Remington lately.
I have a XCR-II in .338 WM. It has been sent back to the factory twice now with less than 2 boxes of shells through it. Both times it has been for bolt problems. I have shot both factory and reloads. I had to actually run out and buy a Tikka T-3 Lite in .338 WM for a bear hunt last fall because the Remington would not function properly. Wish Remington would just refund me the money I am out. Will not purchase another.
The Tikka is a pretty nice rifle out of the box.lightbulb

What Remington claims, but just can't seem to get right, those Finns have been doing for many years. Tikka... good choice. The Tikka Factory must have a shortage of apathetic crack-heads. They should send a consultant to NY to see what they're doing wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.