Remington 700 quality

Would you buy a Rem 700

• Yes

Votes: 555 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 190 25.5%

• Total voters
Remington is my first choice. I've had to put a Houge stock on my SS 243, the one it came with was noisy. I consider it a reasonable tradeoff. It is a very accurate rifle. I am about to buy a Sendero in 264 Win.

* you just answered some of the comments posted here. Whatkind of groups are you shooting with your .243 at a hundred yards or more?

* Your about to enter into a new adventure with the .264 mag. A similar case to the 7mm mag and the 270 WBY mag and the .257mag. Keep us posted on your latest conquest (I'd rather had the 7mm myself, or better yet the 7mm WBY mag)

gary

i think what bothers me the most is to spend so much and get so little. I'll check out the cases, i hope to shoot it tomorrow.

Try different bullets...Different wieghts, makes, I've seen 1gr of powder make a big difference!! As has all reloaders, sometimes you have to FIND what the GUN Likes!!

This gun cost $3000 . Ishot sunday and i got a group of 1.8". I am going to try some other ammo to see if it makes a difference. When i hand loaded, ever thing makes a difference. I don't have time anymore so i buy loaded ammo. I have been shooting berger ammo, i am going to try federal premium i have had good luck with their 7mm rem mag.

The groups I get from my 243 at 100 yd. run in the 1/2 in range.Some days I do better than others,my eyes are not as good as they used to be. I did get a .67 in. group at 300 yd last fall. I use 95 gr Nosler BT's with 43.0gr Reloader 22. They crono at 3050 fps.

No, probably not for awhile. I've purchased 4 new 700's in the last 4 years, and have bought at least 15 in the last 20 years. All have timney/jewell triggers, and that's all i've done w/them. The best shooting are ADL's, one in 7mmRM and a 22-250, 3/4moa any day kind of rifles. From the last 4, one is a sendero sfII in a 300wm, which is right around 1moa w/factory and slightly better w/hand loads. One WAS a 300 wmag sps, which was embarrassingly inaccurate. It's been sold. One is a sps and shoots great. The last is an XCR Tactical Long Range 700 in 300wm, which was shipped back to Remington after the bolt and 1st and only round that was fired couldn't be extracted. I think Remington will make this gun right, but I probably won't buy another.

i also bought a 700 xcr in 300 ultramag and it would not shoot. i sent to a good gunsmith who accurized it and it shoots about a 1 1/2' group now. i have two xcrs and have had similar problems. i wonder if it is caused by the hardening process.

i also bought a 700 xcr in 300 ultramag and it would not shoot. i sent to a good gunsmith who accurized it and it shoots about a 1 1/2' group now. i have two xcrs and have had similar problems. i wonder if it is caused by the hardening process.
What metal part do you think would a bad hardening process effect that would cause poor accuracy?

i just bought a rem 700 AAC SD in 308 w/xmark pro trigger. the trigger is useless. will only adjust from 4 1/2 to 5 lbs. i had planned to build off this rifle eventually but hoped i could shoot it while i saved the money to do it. after reading comments on line about the x mark i know to send it back is a waste of time and the rem rep said he had never heard of anyone else having this problem even though there are tons of people posting this comment on line. then he said"well you can send it in if you want but not just the trigger has to be the whole gun and anyway most people just buy aftermarket for these guns" coulda had a savage!

anyway most people just buy aftermarket for these guns" coulda had a savage!

The trigger concept is pretty basic, and it spans across all makes and models. If you can't get the factory trigger to adjust to your liking, it's time to start replacing parts. It's no different for Savage, Ruger, Sako, etc. You're actually quite lucky you've got a Remington that has a whole world of aftermarket parts to modify your gun to your liking. The pickings are quite slim with others.

The point is, you buy or change what you need to make the gun work the way you want it to no matter what brand name it is and no matter the part.

You shouldn't be expecting a factory rifle to come straight out of the box and do 100% of what you want especially at our a higher than normal performance expectations.

most barrel makers use some sort of "pretreat" steel right from the start, and depending on the steel lot; they may never change during machining. But still a cheap Chinese bar of steel will be nothing like something out of a certified lot of steel. In otherwords you get what you pay for. Stainless steels are even worse in quality. European stainless steels used to be the best there was, but now are amonst the worst. Companys save tooling cost and wear by going with a very high sulphur content stainless steel, and as the metal heats and cools they tend to deteriorate.

I once heard what the exact alloy number was that Remington and also the one Savage used for their actions. (chrome moly) It's kind of a custom designed alloy, but still very similar to 4xxx pretreat steel. Using this stuff puts you way ahead in the normalizing game, and that's money. The stainless actions all pretty much use 416 or something very close to it. But just because it's a 416 stainless steel does not make them all the same (sorry P.O. Ackley but you were wrong on this one).

If the problems in the Remington actions evolved around heat treating (they don't do as much as most think they do), the warpage would be less than .007" in the reciever. But with a pretreat steel that comes off the truck at 30Rc, your already there. Barrels will probably have to be straitened slightly after drilling, and may have it done a final time after being rifeled. But if they are using the hammer process they maybe be indicing a large amount of stress, and then as the barrels heats and cools it changes all over the place. I would think they would use a softer grade of steel for doing this process, and then normalize them prior to a final heat treat.

But knowing a little bit about what's going on in their plant, I'd say that the steel and heat contribute very little to the problems. It's their tooling and the way they take care of it. To be exact they simply don't take care of their tooling at all. You change the oil in your car and keep the front end aligned just like clockwork. They never check alignments on their equipment, and do very little to keep their machinery running the way it was intended to.
gary

the coating process on the barrel and action. I don't know much about it but it is unusual that all the problems I have had is on XCR"S. I have a number of 700's and I have not had those problems.

Barrels will probably have to be straitened slightly after drilling, and may have it done a final time after being rifeled. But if they are using the hammer process they maybe be indicing a large amount of stress, and then as the barrels heats and cools it changes all over the place. I would think they would use a softer grade of steel for doing this process, and then normalize them prior to a final heat treat.
Years ago, Remington barrels were button rifled; thanks to Mike Walker's work in getting that rifling process costs down to reasonable limits. They were the most accurate ones they made and very responsible for the Remington 7XX model's popularity and great factory rifle accuracy.

Some years ago, they changed to hammer forged barrels. No rifle competitor winning and setting records uses hammer forged barrels that I know of; button or cut rifled ones bring home the trophies. Winchester's hammer forged barrels used in their post-'64 Model 70 .308 Win. target models were pretty good, but not the equal of the button rifled ones on Remington 40X target rifles.

Savage button rifles their barrels.

Years ago, Remington barrels were button rifled; thanks to Mike Walker's work in getting that rifling process costs down to reasonable limits. They were the most accurate ones they made and very responsible for the Remington 7XX model's popularity and great factory rifle accuracy.

Some years ago, they changed to hammer forged barrels. No rifle competitor winning and setting records uses hammer forged barrels that I know of; button or cut rifled ones bring home the trophies. Winchester's hammer forged barrels used in their post-'64 Model 70 .308 Win. target models were pretty good, but not the equal of the button rifled ones on Remington 40X target rifles.

Savage button rifles their barrels.

sometime back the guys at Precision Shooting did a comparison thing, and swore up and down that there was little difference. BVut that artical was so flawed that it was a joke, or probably put on by somebody on Remington's payroll! I think the last button barrel I ever saw on a Remington was on a 722 and a 40x (maybe). The Remingtons I had in the late 1970's were hammer forged
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.