Remington 700 Long Range

I was playing with a 28 nosler yesterday and wanted to see how fast my new rum load was shooting. Bottom right group was 3060.
8941D912-2DAF-4596-8AEB-A9B12A6C93F2.jpeg

I bought one some years ago as my first long range rifle. Have no problem with it. The b&c stock I added an adjustable cheak rest and then tried a Magpul Arcangle because I wanted a removable magazine and cheak and length
Adjustment, some minor fitting. Price was right. I have had no problems with the trigger. I would like to know more about the $7.00 spring though. This rifle shoots great and seems to like most ammo reloads. Hard to beat the price. Topped with a Night Force nxs scope 5 5 x22. Fun to shoot. The price you stated is good.

I bought one some years ago as my first long range rifle. Have no problem with it. The b&c stock I added an adjustable cheak rest and then tried a Magpul Arcangle because I wanted a removable magazine and cheak and length
Adjustment, some minor fitting. Price was right. I have had no problems with the trigger. I would like to know more about the $7.00 spring though. This rifle shoots great and seems to like most ammo reloads. Hard to beat the price. Topped with a Night Force nxs scope 5 5 x22. Fun to shoot. The price you stated is good.
I would say, buy the $7 trigger spring and see what you think. I have had friends shoot my nice customs and ask what kind of trigger I use. They laugh when I tell them they are oem triggers I've tuned up. And, yes, I have and still own timney and jewell

Last edited:
The steel of the action is twice as stiff!? Twist loose?? Do tell :)
I don't know of any factory standard contour barrels that don't string some as they heat up. I'd like to see your test with the Rem v win70
You can calculate the "stiff" rating (moment of inertia) of receivers or measure how much they bend from an external force.

Why did top ranked high power competitors square bottom sleeve their Rem 700 receivers with 30 caliber magnum barrels 50 years ago?

Thanks. I try to measure everything before taking a pic. Then I know what to do next.
E9BBD787-F337-4FFA-984E-C0513CBBBA51.jpeg

ps- the flier at the top right must have been a strong wind gust and not me :)

You can calculate the "stiff" rating (moment of inertia) of receivers or measure how much they bend from an external force.

Why did top ranked high power competitors square bottom sleeve their Rem 700 receivers with 30 caliber magnum barrels 50 years ago?
I don't know of any that do it now, but correct me if I'm wrong. I'll ask my br buddies.

I don't know of any that do it now, but correct me if I'm wrong. I'll ask my br buddies.
Ask those shooting Rem 700 actions with 30 caliber magnum barrels. Smaller calibers with bullets less than 160 grains don't cause as much torque.

Remington offered to give twenty 40X match rifles to the USA Palma team in the late 1980's. Team captain politely refused because he knew about their flaws.

Mram10us:
"I don't know of any factory standard contour barrels that don't string some as they heat up"

It's not the contour's fault.

Receiver faces are not squared up. Their high point puts more stress on the barrel at that point causing more barrel whip in that direction as metal expands heating up.

People have squared up receivers then shimmed the factory barrel to headspace and no more stringing as barrels heat up.

Last edited:
Mram10us:
"I don't know of any factory standard contour barrels that don't string some as they heat up"

It's not the contour's fault.

Receiver faces are not squared up. Their high point puts more stress on the barrel at that point causing more barrel whip in that direction as metal expands heating up.

People have squared up receivers then shimmed the factory barrel to headspace and no more stringing as barrels heat up.
I'll have to test a pencil barrel on a stock rifle then square it up to see the difference. I'm sure someone already has a test

Last edited:
Ask those shooting Rem 700 actions with 30 caliber magnum barrels. Smaller calibers with bullets less than 160 grains don't cause as much torque.
That's all we shoot 90% of the time. I didn't know they sold anything smaller than 210s for 308 calibers

They seem to be more of what I want than the SPS Tactical. It has a B&C stock, 26" heavy barrel, and it can be had in .300 Win Mag. I can't find much about them passed that. Are they good shooters out of the box? I'm assuming it's a 1:10 twist, but is it 5R ?

I'm sorry to post all these questions, but the folks around this forum have been the best source for "accurate" information :)

I like the all black look.
View attachment 166658

Attachments

• 20190111_082040.jpg
    20190111_082040.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 95
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.