Remington 700 Long Range

I have one in 25-06. Thinking about getting another one in 30-06 for the pile of empty brass I have. Tempted by the 7mm orvthe win mag thought.

Factory trigger was horrid. I tried the common adjustment procedures and parts, no better. Had a reputable smith try it, still crap. Got a trigger tech and love it, if I get another I will order a trigger tech right away. Mounted a SWFA 12X on it. Bedded it with devcon. Currently shooting the speer 120s over max 4831. Works okay at 100, planning to work with it over the summer and use it as my antelope sniper in october.

Attachments

• 20191208_123557.jpg
    20191208_123557.jpg
    906.2 KB · Views: 80
I took one of these and did the Tubbs final finish fire lapping kit. I used factory Hornady Precision Hunter ammo and it shot about an inch before. I then did the 50 shot process. After that the gun shot the same factory ammo at 0.5 moa. It now has a muzzle brake and graphite black cerakote and I also dipped the stock.

Attachments

• 739888A3-4A98-4AF0-B21B-A198375ED0C0.jpeg
    739888A3-4A98-4AF0-B21B-A198375ED0C0.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 82
Anyone ever shot a Rem 700 factory rifle putting at least 15 shots inside 10 inches at a thousand yards?

Anyone ever shot a Rem 700 factory rifle putting at least 15 shots inside 10 inches at a thousand yards?
Don't think I've tried. I usually do a couple 3 shot groups at different ranges. What's your experience?

Don't think I've tried. I usually do a couple 3 shot groups at different ranges. What's your experience?
I tested two Rem 40X target rifles at 1000. One a 308 Win, the other a 30-338 Win Mag. Both started stringing shots as the barrels heated up. Groups were over 20 inches after 10 rounds.

I prefer Win 70 actions as they're over twice as stiff and don't twist loose in epoxy bedding.

The trigger is fine if you get a $7 replacement spring.
I adjusted the lower front trigger pull weight screw on my Model 7 down to 1.5lb and it is sweet. I wish I would have tried that on the prior 3 Rem 700s I replaced with Trigger Tech.

I tested two Rem 40X target rifles at 1000. One a 308 Win, the other a 30-338 Win Mag. Both started stringing shots as the barrels heated up. Groups were over 20 inches after 10 rounds.

I prefer Win 70 actions as they're over twice as stiff and don't twist loose in epoxy bedding.
The steel of the action is twice as stiff!? Twist loose?? Do tell :)
I don't know of any factory standard contour barrels that don't string some as they heat up. I'd like to see your test with the Rem v win70

Mine is the earlier model in 30/06,,, I ran a reamer in it to Leighton the throat for the longer bullets,,, I call it the """Poor-Mans Sherman."""
Added a Jewel target trigger,,, and a few optics to test,,, 3-14',,, 6.5-20,,, 6-24,,, I finally settled on a 3-12x42 since I use it for hunting...

I started off at 100 to 600 metres,,, a few weeks later I did the 1000 meter / 1 km...

My first string of 15 shots was 17 3/4",,, followed by a 10 1/2",,, the next set with less changing winds give me a 9" ish group...

Don't get me right or wrong,,, I had to use a solid bunny-ear rear bag,,, Henery Remple F Class bypod sitting on a heavy iron plate,,, the trick is getting the Rifle planted,,, comfortable behind the gun,,, and lots of trigger control with lots of dry firing... LOL... All those shots were strings of 15,,, that way I get a better reading over the 3,,, 5,,, and 10 shot groups...

Did I just use the word """Groups,""" dang Namit,,, I ment to say water line,,, the vertical,,, I'm long past shooting groups...
If I shoot a nice water-line the holes in the paper might resemble a group,,, that's """if the setup allows for it... Ha...

My next outing was Southern BC to shoot clay bank features at 1700 meters,,, the best bullets for this from the Remmy 700 LR 30/06 P-Sherman is the Hornady ELD-M'S and 185 Juggernauts since its wize to load hot and keep the velocities up,,, they did ok,,, but I was hard keeping the water-line under 22" to 27" with 20 shot strings... The changing winds is the biggest factor,,, that and the temperature increase from morning to mid afternoon...

The 9th or 12th outing I settled on 1280 metres since its about max for these loads,,, 40 meters further then my 32" F Class rig in 308,,, which by the way is 1 to 1 1/2 X's easier to keep planted then the Remmy LR,,, so yes,,, if the rifle will plant 1" lines / groups with 10 or 20 shots,,, then your up and running...

Don't get me right or wrong,,, those above groups happened on those good days,,, some times I was lucky enough to tag the edges of a barn door... LOL...

Shooting discipline makes it happen,,, getting the rifle sorted with trigger,,, proper action torque,,, solid shooting system to work off of,,, optic and chasing the ever changing winds and temperatures through out the day...

This is the biggest challenge no matter what rifle / system we bring to the game...

The Remmy 700 LR when properly set-up can pull it off,,, the real question is,,, can the shooter take this to challange...

Cheers from the North

Have 30/06 and 300wm. Love them both. No issues with either. Shoot well. Heavy, but thats to be expected
I expect it to be heavy, my Sendero was. The Sendero was 300 RUM, and recoil was tame because of the weight. The guy I traded it to, put a brake on it, but it didn't need it.

The 700LR I'm looking at is indeed a .300 Win Mag, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't give the .300 RUM another chance. As best I can remember ,the RUM was about 200 fps faster than the WM.

I appreciate all your replies. I'll be using my Bushnell Elite Tactical scope until I can afford nicer glass.

The steel of the action is twice as stiff!? Twist loose?? Do tell :)
I don't know of any factory standard contour barrels that don't string some as they heat up. I'd like to see your test with the Rem v win70
Yeah, I'm thinking it's not an engine twisting in the motor mounts. He has peaked my curiosity.

I expect it to be heavy, my Sendero was. The Sendero was 300 RUM, and recoil was tame because of the weight. The guy I traded it to, put a brake on it, but it didn't need it.

The 700LR I'm looking at is indeed a .300 Win Mag, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't give the .300 RUM another chance. As best I can remember ,the RUM was about 200 fps faster than the WM.

I appreciate all your replies. I'll be using my Bushnell Elite Tactical scope until I can afford nicer glass.
I have a hard time going away from the rum.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.