Rem 700 short action - 7mm-08 build

I am looking at the Athlon ARES ETR. I get 40% off and it is a 3-18x50.
I have the 4.5-30x model, it's good. Much better glass quality and image appears a lot brighter than the price would indicate, definitely a big step up from the lower tier Athlon scopes and worth the price increase.

I have the 4.5-30x model, it's good. Much better glass quality and image appears a lot brighter than the price would indicate, definitely a big step up from the lower tier Athlon scopes and worth the price increase.
Looking at specs, I missed the weight on it. I was hoping for something a little lighter. Back to search.

I already have it all worked out. Going with an EVO action, Proof Research blank, Timney trigger and a Magpul Hunter stock. Bamban, the guy who "spins" barrels for me, is doing the work pro-bono for an old Air Force buddy.
Excellent...thats how we do it in the neighborhood of friends, and gentlemen, a little horse trading, some free work, accumulate and assemble the items needed...and have fun doing it.

So, looking at doing a 7mm-08 build with a Rem 700 action. Looking at actions available for purchase, it is about the same price to buy a Remington SPS rifle and use the action - about $600. Am I missing something?
Or a Mac Bros for $775 ....this right here

I bought one of these. Haven't mounted it up yet, but it looks ok.
It is also free shipping.

Reticle

Last edited:
Looking at specs, I missed the weight on it. I was hoping for something a little lighter. Back to search.
Do you have a particular weight you're targeting?

The Leupold VX-3HD is a solid performer, 20oz in 20x.

I can get this for 40% off. Diamondback has done me well in the past.
I have the HST in 4-16x, it's also a good scope. Dials feel good for the price, tracked well enough for my use, used it for over a year before moving on.

I personally like the Leopold better because of the Firedot reticle some of their scopes have in them. It looks like a standard duplex reticle (which I've always preferred on hunting rifles), but it has illumination that is ONLY a red dot centered on the cross hair. It's just enough of a light boost for those shaded late shots as the sun is dying out without making the entire reticle light up and show me all the junk I don't really want to see anyways. 200-300 yards is where I'll set up MPBR and don't want a bunch of stadia lines or BDC drops in the way.

Recent Posts