7mm-08ai vs 7mm-08 vs 6.5cm short action

No one likes the 7/08 more than me and the 7/08 AI only adds 75 to 100 ft/sec to the velocity depending on bullet weight. The AI is worth the effort if you reload in case life and velocity improvements.

I also have some short Mags in short actions and they will out perform most rounds for the short actions and the model 7 actions.

If Elk was the game to be hunted and a short action was a must, I would choose the 7 WSM for this reason.
140 grain bullet = 3150+ ft/sec velocity
150 grain bullet = 3100+ ft/sec velocity.
160 grain bullet = 2975+ft/sec velocity.
168 grain bullet = 2925+ ft/sec velocity.
175 Grain bullet = 2800+ ft/sec velocity.

These velocities are with SAMME pressures and do not exceed 63,000
Psi. The only thing I recommend when going to any short mag is a center feed mag box for dependable feeding.

I also built my self a 338 RCM (Looks like the 325 WSM but with a 338 bullet, on a model 7 Remington action that Is a bear with 200 and 225 grain bullets.(2870+ft/sec with the 200 grain and 2700+ with the 225 grain).

Short actions can handle the short mags with very little modifications.
and can still be loaded for deer size game.

Just another option.

J E CUSTOM

The thought of a short mag sounds punishing. I do reload, and I do have a 300wm for long range work. This project is for a more manageable weighted rifle that'll be used for short to mid range.

I like the CM now that it has Lapua brass. I have a feeling 150gr lrab's will be about the limit for the 7-08 in SA of 2.85". Roughly speaking I see the cm as a 4-500yd elk gun and 6-700yd deer gun. Will the extra powder of a magnum be utilized in a short barrel?? And is the increase recoil going to be worth it? What's the heaviest bullet I can run in 708 and keep bearing surface above the neck/shoulder?

What's the going rate on SS brass?

Ss brass is $275/100 and will give double digit reloads at 3000' with a 180 in the 7ss and at 3175 with a 140 in the 6.5. I run the 150's at 3152' in my 21" barreled 270 ss.

Last edited:
Started browsing the Tikkas and got to thinkin, I could buy a tikka superlite 7mm-08 and rechamber it to 284. Remove the bolt stop and I should be able to run almost any bullet I'd like within the limits of a 9.5 twist. OR just buy a straight 6.5cm.

With tikkas barrel lug design, how hard would it be to rechamber one, or rebarrel?

Last edited:
Started browsing the Tikkas and got to thinkin, I could buy a tikka superlite 7mm-08 and rechamber it to 284. Remove the bolt stop and I should be able to run almost any bullet I'd like within the limits of a 9.5 twist. OR just buy a straight 6.5cm.

With tikkas barrel lug design, how hard would it be to rechamber one, or rebarrel?

Just more conversation, not trying to talk you in to anything.

The 7/08 AI is the ballistic equal to the 284 Winchester in case capacity and velocity and with the chamber done right you can shoot factory 7/08 ammo with great hunting accuracy while fire forming to the AI chamber. and now that Lapua makes 7/08 brass it can be loaded to max loads and still get good brass life, especially in the AI configuration.

Elk are very large animals and need lots of delivered energy to bring them down, and even though they have been taken with smaller cartridges, I don't feel its the best idea unless you have no choice and can hold your distances to 2 or 300 yards and place the shot in the spine to put them down.

Recoil is always a consideration but to extend the energy range needed,
recoil will increase. (Unless you add a muzzle brake).

If I only had a 6.5 or 7/08 and was going elk hunting, I would look at delivered energy distances and decide max range for the load and the best shot placement for best chance of recovery.

Wildcats and AI cartridges with 40o shoulder angles help with case volume intrusion by the heavier bullets by adding more powder volume and normally allow the cartridge to handle heavier bullets at the same velocity as the lighter bullets in the parent cartridge of the same length
also.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

I agree, but like I mentioned earlier this is more of a brush gun for deer and elk, so not really trying to stretch it out.

The 708ai is very intriguing, the only reason I'm considering the 284 is bc I already load for it. I figured if I can run 150-160gr bullets the recoil will be manageable and still have plenty of energy for elk.

Between the 708 and the cm with 140gr, the cm wins. I cannot fit a 162gr eldm hornady into the 708 on SA. So that puts me roughly maxed out at 150gr in the 708. Now if I abandon my build and go w/ a tikka things could get interesting. Again, I like the sounds of the 708ai, but already load for 284.

How hard are 7-08ai dies to come by? Or will I have to have one cut?

Way too exciting in New Mexico wind, back east all day. Out here you're liable to be holding off 30" at 500yds. A 140gr CM will save you about 10".

I have both and like a drawer full of wrenches each has there fit I like the 6.5CM for closer in shots on lighter game and the 7-08 for the reach out and touch some one and for the next step there is 308 I do have some heaver cals but they are bruisers and have there place just not used that much I believe you can do no wrong with the 7-08 but it is yours to choose

Yeah, just saw earlier that redding offers dies.

How much less powder does the 708ai take to equal the 284 with 150-160gr pills?

Yeah, just saw earlier that redding offers dies.

How much less powder does the 708ai take to equal the 284 with 150-160gr pills?
I have a 7mm-08 imp. barrel, 20" fluted fits rem 700. I think I bought it on classifieds here with very low rounds fired. Do not remember maker but it was a top name. $300.00 shipped ? PM me if interested!

Will the 6.5x55 fit a SA with 140's+??

Yeah, I didn't think so. I also have a standard bolt face to work with.
Remington actually did a run of short action rifles in 6mm and .257 Roberts. These are off the 57mm case length, and the one I spoke of is 55mm long. Remember we're talking .118" case length difference between the .308 and the 55mm case length. Personally, the standard .284 Winchester will do anything you want.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.