260 vs 6.5x55 vs 7mm-08

If you like the looks of the Remington than go that way. You take a chance with any factory rifle. I have 3 Remingtons and only one of them has been finicky and that is my .300 Win Mag but I have found very accurate loads for it nonetheless. My .243 and .270 are great rifles and shoot awesome. It is your money and you can spend it how you please, but I would be getting a Remington. The nice thing about the Model 700 is the aftermarket. Heck now you can even rebarrel one on your own without a lathe if you use the barrel nut like found on a Savage.

Have you considered other rifles? Browning makes a very nice rifle and I have seen a lot of those that are tack drivers.

Also, you do not necessarily need four rifles. I can get away with two if that's all I had. If I was in your shoes, I would do a 6mm or 6.5 of some kind and then a magnum like a 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Winchester. You can do everything from varmint hunting to long range deer hunting with a mild 6mm or 6.5 such as a .243 or 6.5 Creedmoor. If you plan on big game hunting you have the magnum where you can either load high BC bullets for long range shots or a heavily constructed slug for close range shots on big game like bear and moose.

The Browning is also an excellent choice. Ive loaded for 3 Brownings and all 3 are .5 or under. I own a Browning X-bolt eclipse hunter in a 7mm Rem mag and it shoots on average in the .3s-.5 with the 162 A-max. Its very similar to the cdl-sf and in the same price range. The 60° bolt lift is nice...... but if your wanting something to customize later down the road it may not be the best choice. I really wish they had a aftermarket following.

There are no flies in a 7mm08, its a modern 7x57 in a way. You can go light and fast with 120s or hammer time with 160-175s. I had one for years in a little Kimber 84M. I used the older Light Magnum 139SST. It was a neat little rifle, but a bit light for someone who wants to shoot long range. I know I can only hold a lightweight rifle "just so still", ha. It could be that when I finally get up the ridge my heartbeat is doing the "Conga drum thingy". :) Admittedly, I am a Remington fan and I prefer them, but I seldom leave them stock anyhow. Good luck to you pard.

I ordered a medalist stock for the Tikka T3. I have a neighbor that has a T3 in 7mm-08. Im going to check the fit of the stock on his gun before I order a Tikka for myself. Im sure there will be a little inletting and small fitting issues I can take care of myself. I also know I have ABSOLUTELY no want to keep the Tikka plastic stock that comes on it. Yes it has been redone and I played with it at Scheels, but I'm still not a fan. If I like the medalist on the Tikka, I will just go that route and bed them myself. If I DONT like that combo, It will be time to look at the Tikka Stainless Laminated, or just go to the Remeington CDL SF. Gonna try to NOT get in a giant hurry with this and hope to make the right decision.

I ordered a medalist stock for the Tikka T3. I have a neighbor that has a T3 in 7mm-08. Im going to check the fit of the stock on his gun before I order a Tikka for myself. Im sure there will be a little inletting and small fitting issues I can take care of myself. I also know I have ABSOLUTELY no want to keep the Tikka plastic stock that comes on it. Yes it has been redone and I played with it at Scheels, but I'm still not a fan. If I like the medalist on the Tikka, I will just go that route and bed them myself. If I DONT like that combo, It will be time to look at the Tikka Stainless Laminated, or just go to the Remeington CDL SF. Gonna try to NOT get in a giant hurry with this and hope to make the right decision.

Youll really like the medalist stock. I have them on my remingtons and a BC for my savage. They are great for the price point. I think the easiest thing for you to do is just check load data in a reloading manual. I would consider brass availability, ballistic performance at the max range you want to shoot, and what would be easier for you to reload when making your final decision. I think you'll be happy with any of the three choices you have. At a certain point youll be splitting hairs as far as performance. Good luck with your search.

Youll really like the medalist stock. I have them on my remingtons and a BC for my savage. They are great for the price point. I think the easiest thing for you to do is just check load data in a reloading manual. I would consider brass availability, ballistic performance at the max range you want to shoot, and what would be easier for you to reload when making your final decision. I think you'll be happy with any of the three choices you have. At a certain point youll be splitting hairs as far as performance. Good luck with your search.

Thanks man....
Yeah, I checked and it looks like I can get all the Lapua 7mm-08 brass I want along with everything else I need, so Im probably gonna roll that way!!!! Thanks again

My opinion is 7-08 all the way. I've been shooting one of the old Rem mountain rifles for the last 10 seasons. Reloading for it has been very easy. Not sure I've seen a load that was ove MOA and best load is Sierra 120s at 1/4 MOA. Absolute hammer.

My opinion is 7-08 all the way. I've been shooting one of the old Rem mountain rifles for the last 10 seasons. Reloading for it has been very easy. Not sure I've seen a load that was ove MOA and best load is Sierra 120s at 1/4 MOA. Absolute hammer.

I was shocked to learn how many people are shooting the 120 pills in the 7mm-08. I was originally thinking the barnes bullets in 150 to 160 or so would be the magic, but it seems a whole lot of people are running the 120's in the 7-08. I read a little yesterday from a older thread where a very respected member here has been promoting the 120 ballistic tip in the 7-08 and says he has never seen another pill that even comes close in that cartridge. I know he is VERY knowledgeable, so I plan on trying them as one of my loads for sure. I don't really plan on shooting any elk with this gun as I will have a 300wsm for that, but I plan on putting the 7-08 to work on some pretty big mulies....

As for the 6.5x55, I can't find it in stainless anywhere.....at least not the new T3X with the better ejection port.......thanks

I shoot 162 Amax as well, but the 120s are my best grouping pill. I also shoot a 300WSM with 215s for large or beyond 500 critters and targets.

Both the .260 and 6.5CM were developed with shorter barrels in mind so they are good choices.

The 7mm-08 is generally at it's best with light for caliber bullets in the 120-140gr range and as such you'll have a hard time finding a load for it that equals the ballistics of the 6.5's.

As for brass Lapua has been producing .260 brass for years and it's easy to come by.

There is better support for factory ammo for the 6.5CM than the other two at least here in the US but I'm still stuck on the .260. For a few hundred bucks you can buy a lifetime of factory ammo and brass for the .260 so I have chosen to stick with it.

I recently purchased a .260 in each the Remington 5R and the Ruger FTW and with a little luck it will dry up enough next week for me to get them both out and put a few rounds down range with each of them.

Im not too worried about components as I can get all the components I would want including Lapua brass for any of the three.
Well....they DO have the Tikka stainless 260 in stock.....lol
Decicsions decisions decisions....lol

Just curious, what 260 or 6.5 CM load has better ballistics than a 162 AMax at 2700? I'm holding 1000# of energy to 800 with 21.7 MOA with my 7-08 long range load. Not looking to start an argument, I'm honestly curious. My guess is the 6.5 can only beat out the 7-08 in trajectory.

Just curious, what 260 or 6.5 CM load has better ballistics than a 162 AMax at 2700? I'm holding 1000# of energy to 800 with 21.7 MOA with my 7-08 long range load. Not looking to start an argument, I'm honestly curious. My guess is the 6.5 can only beat out the 7-08 in trajectory.

The 6.5 cm or 260 with a 143 eld-x at 2850 hold 1000 ftlbs at 800

I'm curious what your load is. I am trying to work up a load for the 162 ELD-X in my 7-08 and using 8208XBR.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.