Rem 700 short action - 7mm-08 build

USAFRet

So, looking at doing a 7mm-08 build with a Rem 700 action. Looking at actions available for purchase, it is about the same price to buy a Remington SPS rifle and use the action - about $600. Am I missing something?

That Remington barrels and stocks aren't worth the action they're screwed on to anymore.

And the actions are barely worth the price.
Barrel and stock are getting replaced. Prices I am seeing at at the same price as the rifle and missing all other parts besides the action and bolt. Still have to get the lug, springs, pins, etc.

Yes, that's the point I was making. The action costs the same as a complete rifle because the barrel, stock, trigger, etc, are trash. Big down hill since the most recent bankruptcy. I gave up on them after a brand new out of the box rifle wouldn't chamber a round.

You could spend a few hundred more and get a better action without having to strip the trash off it. Stillers are on sale at Red Hawk for $900.

Zermatt with a rail and lug for $900:

Kelblys for $1100 with a pinned lug and a rail.

Yes, that's the point I was making. The action costs the same as a complete rifle because the barrel, stock, trigger, etc, are trash. Big down hill since the most recent bankruptcy. I gave up on them after a brand new out of the box rifle wouldn't chamber a round.

You could spend a few hundred more and get a better action without having to strip the trash off it. Stillers are on sale at Red Hawk for $900.

Zermatt with a rail and lug for $900:

Kelblys for $1100 with a pinned lug and a rail.
Those are very nice. A little more than a few hundred. I have a tight budget. Also, this is a hunting rifle for shots no more than 400 - 500 yards, not a precision long range rifle. I am using discounts on the barrel blank and I am getting gunsmithing pro-bono from a fellow Air Force vet. So, in all that, $300 - $600 is the range of the barrel blank I am getting. Just can't afford a blueprinted action.

So, looking at doing a 7mm-08 build with a Rem 700 action. Looking at actions available for purchase, it is about the same price to buy a Remington SPS rifle and use the action - about $600. Am I missing something?
That's what I built mine on for hunting. Turned it into a switch barrel, with 7-08 and 6.5x47, both having 8" twists.

Cheers.

I know what it means to have a budget…but I also know I should have listened to George Garner 20yrs ago and not waste time/money on factory actions.
Recommend you save a bit more, cut out non-essential items for a few months and I bet you would have the extra money needed to buy a better action.

I know what it means to have a budget…but I also know I should have listened to George Garner 20yrs ago and not waste time/money on factory actions.
Recommend you save a bit more, cut out non-essential items for a few months and I bet you would have the extra money needed to buy a better action.
I have a pretty good inventory of factory rifles/actions and see nothing wrong with them, esp. when trued/blueprinted, as well as complete custom rifles. I have a few DIY/semi-custom budget builds (.257 WBY, .264 WM, .270 AI, etc.) using Savage actions (all shoots .5-.75 MOA to 1K yards if I do my part); I learned much and greatly appreciated doing so - very satisfying.

As a retired USAF and GS-12, my budget now is nowhere near when I first started nearly five decades ago, but I still enjoy establishing a realistic budget (custom or not) and saving up for it.