Rem 700 short Action

Lead_Farmer

Hi i just got my .308 rem 700 short action and was needing some help. I want to reach to about 1000yds so i was wondering bullet weight, barrel twist and maker of quality barrels also barrel length all suggestions welcome.

Honestly you should have got a 300wsm, if you do care to try the 308 you'll need a 28" 13 twist barrel and 155 smk palmas or 155 lapua scenars and varget or H4895 and hope like hell the wind acts right.

Yeah I have 2 308s there not reliable 1k rifles, if you stay at 6-700 yards go with a 26" 10 twist and shoot 178 amaxs, 180 smk's, or 185 bergers, they will do decent on deer sized game at that distance. If your doing a brand new build off of a rem 700 I reccomend having the action trued and the lugs lapped, a tubbs speedlock firing pin assembly, jewell trigger, and hs, bell and carlson or mcmillan stock.

I would not go with a 13" twist for hunting though.

155s are for Palma and F class paper punching and that is ok if that is what you are wanting to do. The guys that do that are using very specific 13 twist barrels with what is called tight bores with 30-34" barrels.

in the 308, go with a 1-11 twist which will shoot the 180-200 grain bullets much better. The berger 185 and the 175 AMAX are favorites in that range along with the 175 SMK

Very good choices in barrels with all of them, Bartlien, Brux, Hart, Krieger, Broughton, Satern, Rock. It would max out the barrel length for hunting at 24".

More importantly is the chamber used that will gives you a throat for bullets upt to 200 gr. You do not want it chambered with a Palma reamer for only the 155s for example.

BH

Hi i just got my .308 rem 700 short action and was needing some help. I want to reach to about 1000yds so i was wondering bullet weight, barrel twist and maker of quality barrels also barrel length all suggestions welcome.

turn your .308 into a 7mm-08 and don't look back! Go with a 1:10 or 1:9 or look into other chambers like a 6.5-284. The 30 cal bullets just don't carry as well out to 1000 yards as a 6mm, 6.5mm & 7mm.

Jon

I cannot say much on what brand to get.but will say that a 10-12 twist will shoot just fine for ya.but most will say to go with a 10 twist for shooting 175-200gn bullets.

now thats been said you can and will say it again,you can push a 200,208,and 210gn bullet from a 12 twist barrel even a 20 inch barrel.it just takes R17 or varget to do it.R17 gets more FPS than varget.most are getting 2400-2500 with varget and 2500-2700 with R17.for me 24-28 inch barrel would be the length to get.you will get the 200-210 bullets to run faster to reach 1000 yards better I think.it just takes a deap chamber to get the max charge to push the 200 or better bullets.for me I use 47.5gn of R17.a riend uses 50gn of R17.most who use varget use 43gn.and win brass is better for the 200 plus loads.it has more volume for the loads.

you can even get the 155s or a 175 gn bullet to reach 1000 yards but the 200 or better just buck the went better for me.

I can even say that the 308 can and will shoot to a 1000.a good friend has did well with his out that fare.it just takes time and effort.even a 223 can make it that fare.there is a write up on this site that say alot about a 223 getting to a 1000 really well.

it just what you want and what you are really going to do with it.even how much time you are going to put into the whole nine yards.

Could try a 6.5 creedmor or a 260 rem. Those are pretty awesome 1000yrd rifles. You could also have a 7wsm built, but would have to get a larger bolt face. PTG makes a replacement bolt, which would solve the bolt problem.

thinks all very great info but what is a 7mm-08?

With the wide range of bullet weights available, the 7mm-08 is suitable for "varminting, game-hunting, silhouette, and long-range shooting."[2] It is also eminently suitable for plains game."[1] For long-range target and metallic silhouette shooting, the "plastic-tipped 162gr A-Max has proven to be very accurate, with an impressive 0.625 BC. This A-Max bullet, and the 150gr Sierra Match King, are also very popular with silhouette shooters."[2]
The 7mm-08 Remington works well in most hunting environments, including dense forest areas and large open fields. It has a flatter trajectory than the .308 Win. and .30-06 Springfield at similar bullet weights because the slightly smaller-diameter 7mm bullet generally has a better ballistic coefficient (BC), and is thus less affected by drag and crosswind while in flight. Its trajectory is comparable to the .270 Winchester.[3]
Its recoil is a bit more than a .243 Win. and less than most loads in a .308 Win. This mild recoil, when coupled with excellent ballistics, makes it suitable for youth and adults who are new shooters; however, the cartridge serves experienced shooters and hunters equally well.
Howard Brant of Shooting Industry magazine wrote: "the 7mm-08 is a real sleeper as far as the hunting field is concerned. It is a grand cartridge which packs more than sufficient wallop to efficiently down all medium-sized big-game animals found in North America and elsewhere."[3]
Wayne van Zwoll of Petersen's Hunting magazine wrote: "Efficient case design and a bullet weight range suitable for most North American big game make the 7mm-08 a fine choice for all-around hunting. Civil in recoil, it's a perfect match for lightweight, short-action rifles. It has also courted favor on metallic silhouette ranges, where its 140-grain bullets reach 500-yard targets faster and with as much energy as 150-grain .308s."[4] He also described it as "deadly" for elk.
David E. Petzal of Field & Stream, wrote, "The virtues of the 7mm/08 include very light recoil, not much muzzle blast, plenty of bullet weight to do the job, and gilt-edged accuracy." [5]
The 7mm-08, with appropriate loads, meets the required standard for moose hunting in Sweden, Finland, and Norway. Such loads allow it, for that purpose, to be compared favourably with the 6.5x55, 7x57, 7x57R, 300 Savage, 303 British, and some 308 Win. and 270 Win. loads; they have killed many moose.
With appropriately constructed bullets, the cartridge is usable on elk, black bears and hogs.
It must be stressed, though, that the 7mm-08 Rem. is unsuitable for use on the three big bears—polar, brown, and grizzly—and on other dangerous game. In a self-defensive situation requiring stopping power on dangerous game at close range, there are clearly much more appropriate options.
Stephen Herrero, a bear behavior expert, cites a study by the U. S. Forestry Service in Alaska that concluded the .458 Win. Mag. with a 510gr load, 375 H.&H. Mag. with a 300gr load, .338 Win Mag. with a 300gr load, and .30-06 with a 220gr load were "superior for protection against bears". [6] Aaron Fraser Pass says that for the three big bears the standard should be a minimum of 2,800 fpe at impact range.[7]

Jon

7mm-08 is a remington caliber that is in the 308 case family with the 243, 260, 308 338federal. And various wild cats. Its decent but the 26 and 30 cal cartridges dominate 1k ibs matches.

So to convert my rifle 7mm-08 i would have to do what? It sounds nice just a little worried about reloading supplies for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.