Rem 700 short action - 7mm-08 build

Do you have a particular weight you're targeting?

The Leupold VX-3HD is a solid performer, 20oz in 20x.

I have the HST in 4-16x, it's also a good scope. Dials feel good for the price, tracked well enough for my use, used it for over a year before moving on.

I personally like the Leopold better because of the Firedot reticle some of their scopes have in them. It looks like a standard duplex reticle (which I've always preferred on hunting rifles), but it has illumination that is ONLY a red dot centered on the cross hair. It's just enough of a light boost for those shaded late shots as the sun is dying out without making the entire reticle light up and show me all the junk I don't really want to see anyways. 200-300 yards is where I'll set up MPBR and don't want a bunch of stadia lines or BDC drops in the way.
I was actually looking at that earlier. I was hoping for at least a 44mm objective. That is the only thing that kept me from going that route.

I don't know what your scope budget is, but 500 and in, it's really hard to beat the nightforce 2.5-10x42. I think they do a pretty steep mil discount. https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/nxs/nxs-25-10x42-compact/
Below that I'd go Trijicon Creedo. https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...-Center-Dot-30mm-Satin-Black-Riflescope-.aspx Or the 2.5-10 version.

I'd highly recommend taking a look at the scope testing and eval over on rokslide before you buy a scope. Clear glass is really nice, but a scope that holds zero and can hit what you're aiming at is even more important. It doesn't matter how good a warranty is on day 6 of a hunt when you drop the rifle a foot onto rock and miss everything you shoot at thereafter.

I don't know what your scope budget is, but 500 and in, it's really hard to beat the nightforce 2.5-10x42. I think they do a pretty steep mil discount. https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/nxs/nxs-25-10x42-compact/
Below that I'd go Trijicon Creedo. https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...-Center-Dot-30mm-Satin-Black-Riflescope-.aspx Or the 2.5-10 version.

I'd highly recommend taking a look at the scope testing and eval over on rokslide before you buy a scope. Clear glass is really nice, but a scope that holds zero and can hit what you're aiming at is even more important. It doesn't matter how good a warranty is on day 6 of a hunt when you drop the rifle a foot onto rock and miss everything you shoot at thereafter.
Thanks. Looking for at least an 18x. I have old eyes.

Thanks. Looking for at least an 18x. I have old eyes.
That's fine, just remember scopes are aiming devices first, and magnification devices second. You don't find game with a scope. A scope that can't hold zero through some abuse but lets you count rocks on the moon is worthless.

On the old eyes front, you'd probably be better served by having the parallax and diopter correctly set than an extra 2 or 3 magnification.

That's fine, just remember scopes are aiming devices first, and magnification devices second. You don't find game with a scope. A scope that can't hold zero through some abuse but lets you count rocks on the moon is worthless.

On the old eyes front, you'd probably be better served by having the parallax and diopter correctly set than an extra 2 or 3 magnification.
Yeah, I know I am not finding game with a scope and what they are used for. I also don't buy the cheapest garbage, but what has been within my budget. I know how bad my eyes are (legally blind without glasses) and what it is to try and shoot a 100 yard target with a 6x vs a 12x and how it affects my groups. Been hunting for over 45 years in TN, CO, UT, VA, NC and even 3 years in AK. Both archery and rifle. Qualified marksman on both the M-16 and M-9. So, I am pretty well versed in what works for me and what doesn't.

This thread was about building a custom rifle. Something I have not done before.

Thanks.

Screenshot_20230803_194606_Chrome.jpg

Can you get the 40 perc. discount through PX?
Its not your eyes, dont you know Air Force guys cant shoot? haha. My uncle was AF and I was Army, give him crap all the time. He is an outstanding pistol shooter and competed a lot. Sounds like you will have a great build!

Can you get the 40 perc. discount through PX?
Its not your eyes, dont you know Air Force guys cant shoot? haha. My uncle was AF and I was Army, give him crap all the time. He is an outstanding pistol shooter and competed a lot. Sounds like you will have a great build!
Bwahahah! That was a good one. Nope, can't shoot, but could whip you in a Kispy Kreme contest.

It's through ExpertVoice. They have some good deals with tons of manufacturers. Only for military and LEO. You do have to take little quizzes for discounts, but they only take a few minutes.

So, now I am doing battle of the stocks. I got several folks sent and would like your thoughts...

KRG Bravo Chassis
MDT Field Stock
Graboe Trekker

I love the Mgpul Hunter, however when the nice young man at Carbon Six talked to me, he said that the Magpul Hunter may need to be hollowed out at bit to fit the Sendero barrel. The closest to those are the KRG and MDT. I like the terrain as well, but it is super light. If I were a mountain trekker (pun definitley intended) I would snap this one up. However, when I do my elk disabled veteran elk hunt, I won't be doing a lot of mountain climbing 7 miles in away from everyone like I did when I was in my 20S - 30S in AK, CO and UT. So it is hard for me to spend the extra couple hundred on those.

So, think I am actually going with this scope. I get 50% off...

So, looking at doing a 7mm-08 build with a Rem 700 action. Looking at actions available for purchase, it is about the same price to buy a Remington SPS rifle and use the action - about $600. Am I missing something?
Seems like nothing, other than perhaps I'd think about using a long action for that cartridge, helps with longer, heavier, higher VLD type bullets and gets enough powder into the case to make the 7-08 trot its stuff. Good luck Cheers

So, now I am doing battle of the stocks. I got several folks sent and would like your thoughts...

KRG Bravo Chassis
MDT Field Stock
Graboe Trekker

I love the Mgpul Hunter, however when the nice young man at Carbon Six talked to me, he said that the Magpul Hunter may need to be hollowed out at bit to fit the Sendero barrel. The closest to those are the KRG and MDT. I like the terrain as well, but it is super light. If I were a mountain trekker (pun definitley intended) I would snap this one up. However, when I do my elk disabled veteran elk hunt, I won't be doing a lot of mountain climbing 7 miles in away from everyone like I did when I was in my 20S - 30S in AK, CO and UT. So it is hard for me to spend the extra couple hundred on those.
Actually, looks like the Graboe Eagle Pro fits the bill. Without scope and rings, puts the rifle in at 6.9 lbs. Just about where I want it.

Actually, looks like the Graboe Eagle Pro fits the bill. Without scope and rings, puts the rifle in at 6.9 lbs. Just about where I want it.
Have you looked at Stocky's Stocks? They have a few options you may be interested in. Right now they have free shipping this weekend.