Reloading Manuals?

I use the purchased electronic version of Hornady 10th, Sierra while supplementing online Hodgdon and Nosler. Comparing bullet lengths and seating depths helps some in getting a starting load. Those solids tend to run different loads to watch for.

I have numerous reloading books and keep the most updated versions on my reloading bench. However, when needing some info I normally grab either the Nosler or Hornady manuals. Hodgdon's on-line data is also very good IMO. You really don't need 5-6-or 7 manuals, especially with all of the manufacturers' on-line information.

However, when needing some info I normally grab either the Nosler or Hornady manuals. Hodgdon's on-line data is also very good IMO. You really don't need 5-6-or 7 manuals, especially with all of the manufacturers' on-line information.
Those three are my go to's for sure. I'm most amazed at how the older manuals are way hotter compared to the newer one's. Easier to start low and go up than start with bolt prying loads with flat primer's and ejector scrapes. :eek:

Lee Modern Reloading is a good one.It has a lot of loads that are from the other manuals.Here is an example
20161230_073637_HDR_resized.jpg
20161230_071948_HDR_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Those three are my go to's for sure. I'm most amazed at how the older manuals are way hotter compared to the newer one's. Easier to start low and go up than start with bolt prying loads with flat primer's and ejector scrapes. :eek:
The new manuals give you "lawyer loads". The old ones give you "actual loads".

I think having a manual for the bullets or powder you shoot is a good idea. I have some really old ones, some about 10 years old, and some new ones. Hodgdon (I buy a new one every 2 years), Berger, Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, Barnes (2 additions), old IMR, old Alliant, Lyman (one of my first, which just collects dust now), Cartridges of the World, etc.

So I am a beginner Reloader. I purchased the new Nosler Manual. I believe I should have a few more for reference to go along with Sierra Online, Barnes Online and Hodgdon Online.

Im considering getting both the Lyman 50th as well as the Hornady 10th, thoughts?

Other than Berger (which they will email) are these good manuals to compliment my Nosler?

Thanks
Steve

For a good comparison between manuals, I recommend a couple of manuals from a bullet maker, and a couple from a powder maker. You will find that bullet makers show lots of different powders with their bullets, and the powder makers will show many different bullets with their powder.
This is done to make there product look best but it does give you a good perspective of how different powders perform and how bullets perform.

If you are ever at a gun show, look for some of the older manuals to find a better cross section of powders and bullets. The problems with this is that they will not have some of the newer powders and bullets listed. The up side of the older manuals is that they were tested using a pressure gun and have real world results, Not calculated pressures and velocities. They are also good reading and have good instructions for the beginner.

Many of the newer manuals are not much more than a catalog to sell there products. So go to a book store or gun show and try to look through as many reloading manuals as possible to find the one that is best for you.

I have over 30 loading manuals that I have collected over many years and often refer to any one of them for different things.

J E CUSTOM

So I am a beginner Reloader. I purchased the new Nosler Manual. I believe I should have a few more for reference to go along with Sierra Online, Barnes Online and Hodgdon Online.

Im considering getting both the Lyman 50th as well as the Hornady 10th, thoughts?

Other than Berger (which they will email) are these good manuals to compliment my Nosler?

Thanks
Steve
Buy load data ...load data.com. You pay an annual fee but have access to ALL MANUALS and updates on new calibers, bullets as the come available. It's about the cost of a new OUTDATED BOOK

Just 3 short years ago, before I purchased any load manuals, I purchased several books that served as an "introduction to reloading." No load data, no advertisements, easy to read and reread. I found those extremely informative at the time and they gave me the confidence and a sense of understanding to SAFELY begin reloading. Inexpensive and nice to be able to share with someone considering reloading in the future...and you WILL encourage others!

I've been loading since the mid seventies and have some older books, interesting that so many of today's loads are so far below what they were 45 years ago using the same powder (numerically) cartridge and bullet weight class. Sometimes I'll go to accurateshooter.com and see how top competitive shooters load theirs. Lawyers have had a lot of influence on publishing load data. Another nod for Quickload, Bryan Litz and I sometimes refer to Nosler online which I find to closer to the old manuals than most of the other online sources. As in all reloading, be patient, pay attention, double check your work, find an experienced mentor if you can and keep records of every aspect of your load so you can duplicate it each time.

I have most all ( except Barnes) that have been printed since the 60's.
My earliest data is dated 1955 that came from Hodgdon and is printed on mimeograph paper. There are powders listed that I have never seen nor heard of. Some of the data has names of that period listed beside it such as Jack O'Connor Roy Dunlap.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts