Reloading manuals?????

trigger103

Question for you guys. Do you still use reloading manual books? ( nosler, sierra, hornady, berger to name a few). Or do you just use the online information. I see several companies have come out with new books, wondering if I should spend the money or not.

Hornady is my "Go To" with Nosler Following behind.

Both have tremendous online resources to go along with the manuals as well.

There are also some online subscription services that are dirt cheap and can be very helpful especially if you're shooting an old oddball or pretty well obsolete round.

I have older Speer Nosler and Hodgdon books. For all the new powders I look on line. Now that Hodgdon owns almost all of it I need to look at one and probably get it. Yea we will pay big time as they take over every company.

I have older Speer Nosler and Hodgdon books. For all the new powders I look on line. Now that Hodgdon owns almost all of it I need to look at one and probably get it. Yea we will pay big time as they take over every company.
True, they now own Alliant, Ramshot, and Blackhorn powder companies as well.

More consolidation in the industry that might or might not work out in our best interests.

I really like my Lyman book even though its on the conservative side. I also use the Hogdon book as it's my 1 book. The Alliant book is my #2. I also like the all-in-one books. Which I have one I use exclusively for my 30-30.

I won't buy the Hornady book, sometimes my buddy sends me pics of his. Nothing against Hornady but when Winchester/Hornady released the 350unlengendary and said it was more powerful than 30-30 I felt lied to. I love my 6.5cm and it is what it is but I guess I know how folks felt when Hornady came out with the 6.5cm and all the stuff they said. I guess I have a problem a company lying about the power of a cartridge and then expecting me to pay money for a book that I'm supposed to base my safe and responsible decisions in reloading on. Oh BTW there are lies in the Hogdon books too, and the Alliant book is almost always hot. (the Alliant book is free though and has more info than what they have online).
I've found the Nosler and Speer online data to be very good so I'll probably buy those books soon.
Anyway sorry to rant and I don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone for using any book, I just have a pet pieve.

Anyway I think reloading books are important. When you consider that we reload to be able to do something ourselves and be self sufficient it is kinda ironic that someone would rely entirely on the internet for information. What about the day when theres no internet and no ammo on the shelves. What if that's the time you conveniently get a new caliber to reload for? I think everyone should have at least 2 books one of which is a comprehensive manual.

Just my ¢2

Joel

I really like my Lyman book even though its on the conservative side. I also use the Hogdon book as it's my 1 book. The Alliant book is my #2. I also like the all-in-one books. Which I have one I use exclusively for my 30-30.

I won't buy the Hornady book, sometimes my buddy sends me pics of his. Nothing against Hornady but when Winchester/Hornady released the 350unlengendary and said it was more powerful than 30-30 I felt lied to. I love my 6.5cm and it is what it is but I guess I know how folks felt when Hornady came out with the 6.5cm and all the stuff they said. I guess I have a problem a company lying about the power of a cartridge and then expecting me to pay money for a book that I'm supposed to base my safe and responsible decisions in reloading on. Oh BTW there are lies in the Hogdon books too, and the Alliant book is almost always hot. (the Alliant book is free though and has more info than what they have online).
I've found the Nosler and Speer online data to be very good so I'll probably buy those books soon.
Anyway sorry to rant and I don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone for using any book, I just have a pet pieve.

Anyway I think reloading books are important. When you consider that we reload to be able to do something ourselves and be self sufficient it is kinda ironic that someone would rely entirely on the internet for information. What about the day when theres no internet and no ammo on the shelves. What if that's the time you conveniently get a new caliber to reload for? I think everyone should have at least 2 books one of which is a comprehensive manual.

Just my ¢2

Joel
The 350L was especially developed for states that restrict deer hunting with center fire rifles to straight walled cases under 1.18".

I don't really get how you can hold Hornady responsible for Winchester's hype of the cartridge.

If Winchester had just been honest about the cartridge I think they'd have probably done much better with it though.

Question for you guys. Do you still use reloading manual books? ( nosler, sierra, hornady, berger to name a few). Or do you just use the online information. I see several companies have come out with new books, wondering if I should spend the money or not.
Yes! However, I like to cross-reference them with bullet and powder manufacturers' recommendations.

There is something about hard copy books that appeals to me in the reloading room. For the person that is fairly new to reloading I would recommend Lyman or possibly Lee. I do a lot of cross referencing with both hard copy and online manuals. The only problem with hard copy is they can be out of date with new offerings in the market.

Spend the $. I usually can find them cheap at yard sales and flea markets. Great as a cross reference and there's lots of good information other than the load data.
For someone completely new to reloading the Hornady Books have a fantastic introduction to reloading in the front of Book One and have for several decades.

I would call it a "must read" for the novice. It will help them really understand the entire process and what goes into producing really good quality custom ammo safely.