Reloading manuals

Yorkplates

Why do I need more than one? Is it imperative or just a good idea to have the reload manual from the bullet maker I plan to use? I recently picked up one from Nosler. I'm not so interested in a bunch of load data, but rather a very detailed step-by-step usage guide for the equipment.

I have been given several reasons by experienced reloaders but the one that has proven itself is that the onformation in reloading manuals will have come from different conditions (barrels, chambers, brass, environmental conditions, etc...) These conditions will reflect differently on the load data represented. I have three manuals (sierra, nosler, and lee) and am looking to get another two at least (any suggestions?). One thing I have found is that your rifle may be very close to the load data in one manual but very different than another, then when you switch one of the variables (bullets mostly) the information may be closer to a different manual. If you are just looking for a step by step procedure they should all have similar basics, however if you are lookiing at getting into benchrest type reloading you may need to out source your information to a board such as this one. I have found that the basics can be covered in the books but the experience/information that is relayed through these boards is second to none.

For example:

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=66442&an=0&page=7#66442

Good hunting!

If your new to reloading and looking for detailed step-by-step usage guide for the equipment and procedures the Lyman 47 and 48 editions are pretty comprehensive on know how.

Load data is different between manuals for all sorts of reasons. For the stuff I reload, I have found the velocities listed in the Nosler manual to be overstated.

Hi sniper2
Are you referring to RCBS LOAD, if you are whats your opinion on it? I only ask because when i posted the question "Does anybody use RCBS LOAD" some months ago, i had no replies.
I would be gratefull for any information, thanks

Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.