Reloading manuals?????

New manuals are worth it if your caliber is listed and any of the new powders useful.
I'm just picking off things that stand out to me as I read this thread
But what happens in the event of a divorce (she knew) or the web doesn't work, bla bla
I have my notes in my manuals. They left those note pages for a reason

I was aware of that when I changed to a bolt action, but my Ruger M77 stainless doesn't show any high pressure with 28.2 gr H335 under a 50gr Nosler BT. I now remember the most accurate load in my mini-14 was 26.8 gr H335 under the 52 gr Sierra bthp. Thanks for the caution! I was very fortunate to have a very experienced reloader teach and guide me back in the late70's and 80's.
We may have to look each other up at some point. My new digs are about 2.5hrs straight south of you near Big Bend. That's neighbors by Texas standards!

This is probably my biggest thing, looking for a test barrel length, twist and actual rifle or test barrel.
Some of the things I load for aren't in modern books, and IMR ???? Isn't the same road yesteryear.
I only own one SAAMI center fire chamber as far as rifles go. The internet isn't a bad place but the books, even the old ones; help sift the wheat from the chaff
That's the nice thing about all the online resources, especially up to date load data and burn rate charts to help you convert your old loads with obsolete powders to modern powders.

Not to mention the fellas with QuickLoad he are willing to share with those of us who dont
No kidding. One of these days I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get it for myself. As many different rifles and calibers as I load for it would quickly pay for itself.

The problem is I'm not all that computer savvy anymore.

Caution: Typically higher pressure loads are used in semi auto platforms that may or may not be safe in a bolt action.
I kinda think that may not be as pronounced with the Mini 14 fixed-piston gas system vs AR direct-impingement system platform "if" the pressure were higher like in the case of the 5.56x45 NATO ammo. Speer doesn't really bring up any issue in this manual #10, they stated that all loads are below 52,000 cup SAAMI pressure limit when tested. But... as always, you are correct... folks need to think about things and be careful. Cheer.

I kinda think that may not be as pronounced with the Mini 14 fixed-piston gas system vs AR direct-impingement system platform "if" the pressure were higher like in the case of the 5.56x45 NATO ammo. Speer doesn't really bring up any issue in this manual #10, they stated that all loads are below 52,000 cup SAAMI pressure limit when tested. But... as always, you are correct... folks need to think about things and be careful. Cheer.
Well having shot the Piston Drive AR's and Minis since the 90's I'd say the biggest difference is in looking at load data for the .223 vs 5.56 which is loaded to higher pressures because of the intended use in gas guns.

A lot of the older manuals would warn us not to use higher pressure loads in the bolt guns due to the potential for damage/failure.

Honestly I don't pay a lot of attention to it as I don't own any bolt guns in .223 but figure we should always err on the side of caution in these threads because we have a whole lot of novices that tend to take our words as gospel.

I always check online first,but cross reference the loading manuals. The problem is that the manuals don't have the new powders. A lot of new powders have been released in the last few years. Not that we can find them.

Well having shot the Piston Drive AR's and Minis since the 90's I'd say the biggest difference is in looking at load data for the .223 vs 5.56 which is loaded to higher pressures because of the intended use in gas guns.

A lot of the older manuals would warn us not to use higher pressure loads in the bolt guns due to the potential for damage/failure.

Honestly I don't pay a lot of attention to it as I don't own any bolt guns in .223 but figure we should always err on the side of caution in these threads because we have a whole lot of novices that tend to take our words as gospel.
I agree... I was just stating what Speer stated on the CUP and them using a semi-auto for the testing, the manual is 1979... things have changed since then. This manual doesn't "warn" on the concept of higher pressure they just say, "they are below 52,000 cup" or "62,000 psi" which is fine for any of the bolt guns I've used. I have a 1k Rem 700 .223 that I load for, using an 80gr Berger and Sierra, and believe me... I'm up there with the 5.56x45 with no problems, I'm not saying it can't happen to someone else, it's just my experience. I think the high-end SAAMI for the .223 is 55,000 cup The maximum pressure for 5.56x45 is about 63,000 PSI; the 5.56 proof load is 70,000 PSI. If I recall, SAAMI doesn't have specs for the 5.56x45 NATO, because it's NATO, and sometimes looking things up can become confusing between these two cartridges. I digress... the aforementioned is what Speer stated in #10 in 1979 Cheers
Rem 700 LR .223 Rem 1 .jpg
Rem 700 LR .223 Rem 2 .jpg

I'm old I still like paper books
Define old ;~) (I'm 73). Still like paper books too. Got a bunch: Hornady, Lyman, Hodgdon (magazine format), Lee. Digital is also useful. Manulas on my phone lets me look up loads by cartridge, then bullet weight fast as flipping through pages. Put stick on index tabs on my paper manuals but can't carry 'em around with me. I'd rather lie in bed & flip through my paper manuals, tho I'm coming to appreciate electronic books (reduces the bedside book pile).

Retired IT guy, maybe that has to do with it. I also enjoy looking up bullet BCs in mfr's aps, plugging them into Strelock and what-ifing different combinations. Good way to get sleepy....

Define old ;~) (I'm 73). Still like paper books too. Got a bunch: Hornady, Lyman, Hodgdon (magazine format), Lee. Digital is also useful. Manulas on my phone lets me look up loads by cartridge, then bullet weight fast as flipping through pages. Put stick on index tabs on my paper manuals but can't carry 'em around with me. I'd rather lie in bed & flip through my paper manuals, tho I'm coming to appreciate electronic books (reduces the bedside book pile).

Retired IT guy, maybe that has to do with it. I also enjoy looking up bullet BCs in mfr's aps, plugging them into Strelock and what-ifing different combinations. Good way to get sleepy....
When the internet is down your books aren't.😄

All you really need is a sunny day or even a candle to just keep on loading.

I agree... I was just stating what Speer stated on the CUP and them using a semi-auto for the testing, the manual is 1979... things have changed since then. This manual doesn't "warn" on the concept of higher pressure they just say, "they are below 52,000 cup" or "62,000 psi" which is fine for any of the bolt guns I've used. I have a 1k Rem 700 .223 that I load for, using an 80gr Berger and Sierra, and believe me... I'm up there with the 5.56x45 with no problems, I'm not saying it can't happen to someone else, it's just my experience. I think the high-end SAAMI for the .223 is 55,000 cup The maximum pressure for 5.56x45 is about 63,000 PSI; the 5.56 proof load is 70,000 PSI. If I recall, SAAMI doesn't have specs for the 5.56x45 NATO, because it's NATO, and sometimes looking things up can become confusing between these two cartridges. I digress... the aforementioned is what Speer stated in #10 in 1979 CheersView attachment 337551View attachment 337553
SAAMI .223 vs 5.56 NATO

However, it is not safe to shoot "5.56," "5.56 NATO," or "5.56x45mm" ammunition in a barrel marked as being chambered in 223 Remington for a number of reasons. The main reason being that a barrel marked as chambered in 223 Remington will have a shorter throat into the rifling than a "5.56" barrel which may cause increased pressure if the "5.56" ammunition is fired in it. This can result in serious injury or death to the user and/or bystanders, as well as damage to the firearm.

Yes I know it "can be done", that doesn't make it wise or safe and when making suggestions to other for loads it's always really wise to err on the side of caution.

Last edited: