Reloading 7mm RM vs PRC starting out

Remington92

I'm narrowed down to these 2 calibers for a new LR rifle but would like a little input from the experts regarding the differences in these 2 from a reloading stand point. From what I understand they both have their issues whether that be contending with a belt or clicker issues. But if we're looking at 2 factory chambered rifles with 1-8 twist is there any reason to pick one over the other? Right now RM looks like it has more component availability but that could change with time. Heck most the big box stores round me don't really stock RM ammo or rifles anymore or not near to the selection that they do PRC. I have 3 other RM and gobs of old brass and rcbs dies already but I haven't reloaded for them yet so I'm basically starting from scratch.

Caliber also somewhat narrows my rifle selection down as well. My front runners are

RM
Browning x bolt
Rem 700 Long range (worried its too heavy)

PRC
Bergara ridge
Xbolt
Savage trail hunter

Xbolts are fine rifles but buy the McMillan or pro only, if there is also the weatherby 307 in that price range that will get the job done. Bergara makes a good rifle as well. It really comes down to whatever you want.

Rifle decisions these days for revolve around what can I do with the rifle after I buy it. Stock, trigger, brake, rebarrel. The xbolt and savages suck for aftermarket parts but they shoot.

if you are going to reload then it's not a big deal either one will do the job.

Ya that's partially wanted to narrow the caliber first then I could narrow down on rifle. Seems like the Rem 700, Bergera, and savage have the most aftermarket for stocks and suck. I heard stocking is doing an xbolt stock as well McMillan when they're in stock.

Remington 700 long range is HEAVY. Have one in 7RM. Came with a B&C stock. Bedded the stock and new trigger. Decent rifle, not spectacular.

Been shooting 7RM for 44 years.

If you can get a rifle you like and components to shoot out the barrel, pick your poison. Not certain if Peterson makes long brass for the 7RM. I'm old and too much invested in the 7RM to change now.

I have a 7mm RM and love it. But after reading about the 7PRC, I have a Ruger ordered that comes with the HS stock. I don't see a downside to the 7PRC so it will be fun to compare and reload for.

I have a 7 PRC and load for two 7 RM. THE 7 PRC won't do anything more than the 7 RM can do ballistically. The only difference is, the 7 PRC was made to seat the bullet out further in the case. But even then, I'm still get right about the same speeds as I am with the 7 RM's.

I have a 7 PRC and load for two 7 RM. THE 7 PRC won't do anything more than the 7 RM can do ballistically. The only difference is, the 7 PRC was made to seat the bullet out further in the case. But even then, I'm still get right about the same speeds as I am with the 7 RM's.
I shoot the 7 prc for target mostly. I use a 180 Berger hybrid and shoot consistently at 3050 fps. I was able to reach 3150 fps with n570 with the 180, accuracy did not hold at those speed and there were ejector marks. I got a 26" barrel that didn't like anything except n570.

A 7rems problem is with heavy bullets, need a custom throat and then it will rock and roll but it's tough to beat the 7 prc for punching paper with a 7 rem mag

Yea, I saw your post with your velocity for your PRC. I'm using a 170 Gr bullet and can't even come close to 3150 FPS. I can get to 3050 where the accuracy is. But if I were to push up to 3150, I would go to eject the case and nothing would be in there lol. It would vaporize.

Yea, I saw your post with your velocity for your PRC. I'm using a 170 Gr bullet and can't even come close to 3150 FPS. I can get to 3050 where the accuracy is. But if I were to push up to 3150, I would go to eject the case and nothing would be in there lol. It would vaporize.
I was having issues with other powders but switched to n570 and it sends them hard. I don't really care about barrel life so it's not an issue. Hopefully get kill some long range rocks with it when it stops being a winter mess.

So, technically the 7 PRC and 300 PRC are better out of the box vs. the 7mm REM Mag and 300 WM, respectively. But not that much better to go ape turd over.

• The new cartridges don't have a belted mag which is a plus…if you don't know how to load belted mags. If you're only shooting factory ammo, then the belted mag means nothing in the grand scheme of things. To me this is a wash.
  • The PRC rifles will likely shoot premium factory ammo better than their older counterparts as Hornady wisely made the SAMMI specs tight. PRCs win here with the off the shelf rifles and off the shelf ammo.
  • While I agree the PRC cartridges are here to stay, time will tell what components will be available for any cartridge in the near or distant future.
If you're into 7mm projectiles…I don't think you can go wrong with either.

With a factory chamber is the prc click problem a big issue? I realize there's reamers that have taken care of this but what about in regards to a factory chambered rifle? So far I'm not seeing much in regards to reloading why one is easier to live with than the other.

If your goal is long range and buying factory ammo then PRC. If reloading and only going to 180gr RM. ADG and Peterson is making both RM- PRC.
If you like New PRC. If you like making old better RM. Hope this helps. 👍