7mm Rem Mag reloading starting point

Txcntryboy2008

I am looking at starting to reload for my 7mm rem mag, I haven't got any rounds through this gun yet, I'm not sure what it likes or any of that. I am looking for suggestions on a starting place, such as what grain bullets to use. I have some factory Norma ammo I plan to shoot first, then I will reload them. I will use this rifle for hunting only, maybe the occasional targets stretched out just for fun, maybe.. I really like the performance that I have gotten from the Hornady ELD-X, Sierra GameKing and BlitzKing, and also Nosler Partitions in most other calibers I've had, that's mostly all I've reloaded off the top of my head. I would also take some suggestions on what powders that you've had successful loads with as well.

With the components being hard to find right now, any suggestions on what to look at and where to maybe get the components? I have been interested in the Barnes bullets, but I have no experience with them, and I don't know anyone personally with it either.

I appreciate your thoughts and comments. Have a blessed day.

Last edited:
Powders, bullets, primers, brass have all been impossible to find, for the most part. Some have gotten lucky and found some here and there, but usually they sold out in minutes. H-1000, IMR 7828, RL26, get high praise when used with 160-180 grain bullets. I personally shoot the 160 grain Nosler Accubonds with IMR 7828 (ssc). If you have some ammo, I would use it sparingly. No idea when Ammo & components will be available

Powders, bullets, primers, brass have all been impossible to find, for the most part. Some have gotten lucky and found some here and there, but usually they sold out in minutes. H-1000, IMR 7828, RL26, get high praise when used with 160-180 grain bullets. I personally shoot the 160 grain Nosler Accubonds with IMR 7828 (ssc). If you have some ammo, I would use it sparingly. No idea when Ammo & components will be available
Thanks, I appreciate it

I'll add a little to what @LaHunter said,.

There a couple more options for powders and if you look hard and daily you will find some powder and bullets.

These other options are IMR-7977 and RL23 for the 150gr to 168gr bullets. For the 180gr bullets you can try RL33 and IMR-8133, these have a little more juice for these heavy bullets.

I prefer the 160gr to 180gr bullets for the 7mm Rem Mag. So far my personal favorites are the 162gr SST, and the 168gr and 180gr Berger Hunting VLD's

I am looking at starting to reload for my 7mm rem mag, I haven't got any rounds through this gun yet, I'm not sure what it likes or any of that. I am looking for suggestions on a starting place, such as what grain bullets to use. I have some factory Norma ammo I plan to shoot first, then I will reload them. I will use this rifle for hunting only, maybe the occasional targets stretched out just for fun, maybe.. I really like the performance that I have gotten from the Hornady ELD-X, Sierra GameKing and BlitzKing, and also Nosler Partitions in most other calibers I've had, that's mostly all I've reloaded off the top of my head. I would also take some suggestions on what powders that you've had successful loads with as well.

With the components being hard to find right now, any suggestions on what to look at and where to maybe get the components? I have been interested in the Barnes bullets, but I have no experience with them, and I don't know anyone personally with it either.

The 168gr Barnes LRX + most of the powders mentioned above should produce some great results. I have had great accuracy results from the LRX in my 6.5 PRC and the TTSX in my old 300 WSM. Another powder line to look for is Vihtavuori N565 and N570. N565 is similar to H1000/IMR7977 in burn rate. N570 is similar to Retumbo/IMR8133 burn rate. The hardest thing to find right now is going to be primers and powder. If you find powder I'd pop for an 8 pounder if its H1000, IMR7977, RL26, or N565. Any of those will work great in a 7mm REM. If you find mag primers I'd buy at least a 1000 count brick. That will come close to shooting out a barrel. Brunos has been getting 7mm Bergers in. I just bought a 100 count 180 VLD Hunting for my son's 7mm LRM.

What animals at what distance are you planning to hunt? Also, what twist is your barrel?

The 7mm Mag is incredibly versatile, and with the current component scarcity, knowing the above information would really narrow the range of "what to try" suggestions.

162 eldx 68.5 grains of H1000 Fed 215 in Hornady brass. Shoots 2950 fps at just under 1/2 moa out 800 consistently for me. Like all of the above, some of the popular powders are extremely hard to get right now, unless you are rich and don't mind getting price gouged on gun broker. I had a bid for $550 (felt dumb doing it too) on an 8 lb jug with 1 hr left in the auction and lost by $300 by the time it was over. Retumbo is another good powder if you go with Berger 168 or 180 class bullets, just pay attention to what twist rate your rifle is and keep that in mind when you buy your bullets so you don't waste money on something it won't stabilize.

Last edited:
I have 2 7mags and both like different powders. My Tikka Roughtec likes IMR 4320 with 150 bergers and my Chrisriensen likes IMR 4831 with 150 TSX barnes. Both will shot inside 1.25 @ 200 all day long. So you will have to find out witch powder your likes and what grain bullet you are going to use. The bigger the bullet the slower the powder! As you can tell i like 150's it gives me good speed and still plenty of range and knock down. Just my 2 cents. Have fun finding out what your baby likes.

I have been loading Berger 168 vld hunting bullet on my 7 mm with reloader 19 63.4 grains and getting good groups 1" and less @ 100 yards,great bullet for hunting both my grandson got there elk cow's one at 700 yards the other grandson at 615 yards with the 168 grain Berger vld bullet

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.