7mm Rem Mag reloading starting point

Long time ago for your post but did you mean 160 partitions? 68 grains is a big load!
Yes, sorry for the typo. I have been using that for 30+ years. It may be over kill for somethings , but shoots well for me.

Yes, sorry for the typo. I have been using that for 30+ years. It may be over kill for somethings , but shoots well for me.
Thanks for the update. So no pressure problems with 68 grs? I've had some well before that high. Currently at 63.4 with 168 VLD's and am pretty happy with 2.7" group at 300 yards. My Win 70 7mm Rem Mag is just an off the rack gun with no tweaks except floating the barrel and bedding the action so I don't expect much better. Shoot well.

I haven't had any signs of pressure. I have a Ruger 77 tang safety that is shoot. It is the first rifle I bought back in 1975 and a Redfield 3x9 box is shell for less than $300.....those were the good ol' days.

7mm rem mag Browning Xbolt Hells Canyon Speed, 26" barrel, 1-9.5 twist

My process as a new loader was a bit slow of a start. I tried to make the 162gr ELD-X work with my rifle. Started with IMR 7977 and RL22. After awhile, it was just a no go.. Played with charges and different jumps. Just a hard no. Then I bought a box of 168grBergerVLD and the magic happened.

168gr Berger VLD Hunter
65gr Reloader-22
CCI BR2 Primer

Instantly noticed a massive improvement as I worked my way up the charge ladder to find myself at a nice 65 grain load. I have not hit the chrono yet but I just purchased one and will be doing a velocity test on it soon. Fingers crossed for low extreme spread and consistent velocities.

Still in development but the day I tested that charge I put 5 bullets in about .5 moa at 100 yards

Last edited:
7mm rem mag Browning Xbolt Hells Canyon Speed, 26" barrel, 1-9.5 twist

My process as a new loader was a bit slow of a start. I tried to make the 162gr ELD-X work with my rifle. Started with IMR 7977 and RL22. After awhile, it was just a no go.. Played with charges and different jumps. Just a hard no. Then I bought a box of 168grBergerVLD and the magic happened.

168gr Berger VLD Hunter
65gr Reloader-22
CCI BR2 Primer

Instantly noticed a massive improvement as I worked my way up the charge ladder to find myself at a nice 65 grain load. I have not hit the chrono yet but I just purchased one and will be doing a velocity test on it soon. Fingers crossed for low extreme spread and consistent velocities.

Still in development but the day I tested that charge I put 5 bullets in about .5 moa at 100 yards
I think Berger made the 7mm 168 VLD for the 7mm REM Mag. The match up so well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.