starting out reloading

tired

been shooting for awhile and want to start reloading.I have no equipment.Looking to buy it once and use it fo a long time(quality)I don't have a budget in mind so what do I need to it right? --brands-equipment-prices-

Tired thats a good question! I use a variety of brands from Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Lee and have found all of them to have good quality products but not all their products are good quality! Redding makes great products and are a little on the pricey side for some. I would look into one of the sets availanle from RCBS or Lyman that includes most everyhthing you need to get started and branch out from there with tools to help make the job easier and once you get a little experience under your belt then you will notice other tools that will help speed up your process and increase accuracy even more like uniforming primer pockets and flash holes. I could make a list as long as my leg of the tools I have and use and if you want I can. Look at some sites like midway , mid south , brownells and sinclair Browse through their press kits and setups and find a good package that includes all the things you need to get started and then pick up some good die sets for your calibers. Let me know if I can help you some more. I included the links to their sites in case you didn't already have them.

tired
I was in your shoes about 2 years ago. Just like 7rum said I started with a kit (RCBS supreme master reloading kit) and have been adding tools every since. I think the most overlooked item might be the reloading manuals, I've got three and wish I had at least three more.
Chris

i have been looking in places like midway but i have no starting point strait single pull for each step or a progressive? want to be able to be effiecent at this.

I don't know what to tell you there. The progressive once you become more efficient will turn out more ammo per hour but is more complicated to operate. Most beginers start with a single stage press and also most accuracy buffs will only use a single stage. The progressives are more for the pistol shooter or plinker who is only reloading to save money but they can load very accurate ammo. If I were you and I was a few years ago I would go with a single stage and get efficient with it and once you get your own process set and down to the letter then perhaps look into a progressive press if you want to turn out more ammo in less time.

tired
You can be efficeint with either one, I think the progressive is just easier to do more volume with.

I looked at the progressives but decided I wouldn't be loading enough volume to justify one. I rarely load more than 100 rounds at a crack and if the brass is already prepped it takes about 90 min. to do 100 rounds. (weighing each powder charge.)
Chris

I have been reloading as a hobby for about 9 years now. I started out using the old rock chucker press by RCBS and loved how sturdy and tight it was. When I left for college and now a career, my parents bought me the partner press reloading kit. The partner press will work, but the consistency is much to be desired. I also tried out the new rock chucker supreme press by RCBS. It was a great press, just like its predicessor, but I couldn't find an automatic primer feed for the new ones and ended up buying the old one off e-bay. I like the auto primer feed for when I am prepping large quantities of brass. you don't have to handle every primer and risk getting skin oil or case lube in the primer mix.

Like others have said, reloading manuals, reloading manuals, reloading manuals. to me the time these people have put into testing loads for us to have safety is the best thing ever. I currently have manuals for hornady, speer and sierra, becasue they are the bullets I use. I also have a hogden book, but only use it for reference if I am reloading bullets people give me as gifts from a company that I don't have their book for. THe nosler book and the barnes book are both on my to buy list when I get some more O.T.

I would also recommend that you get a good case length trimmer. I learned with an old RCBS that had a collet type clamp for the shell base, and found it fairly inconsistent. Now I use a Hornaday case trimmer that actually uses the same shell holder you need for the press to hold the case. It keeps the case length within .0015" as measured with my Fowler electronic calipers I got as a gift from work. Dial and Vernier calipers are very accurate as well for measuring case length if you want to be picky. If you don't want to be picky about the case length yet, the good old case length guides you can pick up at the sporting goods store for $5 will work great.

For the powder scale, which is a must have, the beam scales with the pan seperate from the scale hook work great for me. (The partner kit came with the hook attached to the pan, and I ended up moving the scale counter weights almost every time I put it back on the scale.Did not like at all). I would also recommend getting a good powder measure to save time in the process. I reloaded for 5 years without one, but now would never do without again. For rifle cartridges I am very picky about powder weight and check every charge on the scale the measure stays within .1 grains all day and I zero out the load with a powder trickler, in Pistols I load well under the max charge and only check every fifth one to make sure the measure or I don't change the charge. The hours this tool saves me paid for itself the first time I used it.

Tools that are needed but I haven't expeirmented with are a deburring tool, case lube kit, powder funnel, and reloading block.

I'm sure there are more tools that I am not thinking of that are important, but I have to get ready for work. I hope this helps.

Hello Tired

All the advice you receved was good so I will just add to it.

Not giving away my age {old} I started reloading in 1965 and I beleve in the KISS Philosophy
Keep It Simple #%$@&^.

I started with a RCBS Rockcucker and a ballance scale made
by Ohas.

I recomend that you start slow and safe.

Load only one round at a time checking each step {IE ,
Brass prep-sizing,length,deburr & condition.
Primer seating
Powder charge weigh {select a slow burning powder that
fills the case with out overloading .NOTE Most reloading
books will list these as compressed loads.
Seat bullets to factory length,s
Load in a quiet place with few distraction,s
reloading is fun and rewarding BUT IS VERY SEROUS
BE CAREFUL".

Start simple and as you develop your skills you
can think of more speed and equipment.

I hope this advice will help.

I still use a single stage press and balance scale
for my best load,s.

Electronic scales are great for weighing brass & bullets
fast But I Trust the balance scale {An old Reloader Thing}

BEST OF LUCK
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts