Reducing Recoil on Rifles

375rifleman

Hello, I was just inquiring about what some of the more effective waysto reduce the recoil on riflesome without diminishing the rifles accuracy? Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, opinions, or answers.

375rifleman

I was thinking about possible muzzle brakes and or suppressors, recoil reducing products like Ken rockers bump buster or stock springs,or recoil reducing mercury inserts. I will most be using a thumbhole stock they're very comfortable and I've heard that they also reduce recoil a bit.

Pain Killer brake. I will never try another just because is cheaper and has a good rep again. Learned that lesson the very hard way.

Steve

Hello, I was just inquiring about what some of the more effective waysto reduce the recoil on riflesome without diminishing the rifles accuracy? Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, opinions, or answers.

375rifleman

Adding Barrel weight is one of the best ways to reduce recoil and improve accuracy. As I have always said, the only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle.

If weight is an issue, a good muzzle brake can/will reduce recoil and in many cases improve accuracy of both the rifle and the shooter. the added weight of the muzzle brake on the end of the barrel can improve the harmonics that can also improve accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

Would I be able to take the average amount of recoil reduction that a muzzle brakes is said to provide, say a conservative 50%-60% and then add it to what the average amount of recoil reduction that a recoil pad is said to provide, say a conservative 10%-20% and then add them together for a conservative 60%-80% total recoil reduction? So a hypothetical rifle/cartridge combination that normally produces 100 ftlb recoil energy and 100 fps recoil velocity (I used 100's for easy math) would only produce 20ftlb-40ftlb recoil energy and 20fps-40fps recoil velocity with a muzzle brake and recoil pad?

375rifleman

I am trying to maximizing portability and mobility by minimizing weight everywhere I can. I like the total weight with scope to be under 10lbs and prefer the balance point to be just a little ahead of the trigger if at all possible. So just adding unnecessary weight to dampen recoil probably wouldn't work for me.

375rifleman

I will go through an example of a brake.
10 pound rifle, 100 gr powder 200 gr bullet at 3000 fps
The forward momentum of the gas center of mass is [100 gr][4,700 fps]
The forward momentum of the projectile is [200 gr] [3000 fps]
The rearward momentum of the rifle will be equal to the sum of the forward momentum of projectile plus gas. = 1,070,000 gr fps
The rearward velocity of the free recoiling gun will be its momentum divided by its weight.
1,070,000 gr fps /[10 pounds ][7000 gr/pound]]= 15.3 fps

If we had a gas brake that sent ALL the gas sideways the rifle recoil velocity in this case would be reduced to 8.6 fps

If we had a gas brake that sent ALL the gas rearward, the rifle recoil velocity in this case would be reduced to 1.8 fps.

We are still searching for gas brakes that work that well.

Attachments

• Hayes Elements of Ordinance page 242.jpg
    Hayes Elements of Ordinance page 242.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 76
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.