merc recoil reducer

Sperz208

I was given a mercury recoil reducer this week and was thinking about trying to install it myself. i have a few old wood stocks and a banged up MSI to practice on i would like to have it end up in my 338RUM its an HS 2000 sporter. My question is how hard are they to install, do i need to worry about drilling the Kevlar and all the other stuff that gos in these things? i have a full shop of tools (mostly wood tools). I would think i would just need to drill a hole 9/16"X5"+ (thats the size of the reducer) on a parallel plane with the stock, then a plug to stop any front to back movement.

I was given a mercury recoil reducer this week and was thinking about trying to install it myself. i have a few old wood stocks and a banged up MSI to practice on i would like to have it end up in my 338RUM its an HS 2000 sporter. My question is how hard are they to install, do i need to worry about drilling the Kevlar and all the other stuff that gos in these things? i have a full shop of tools (mostly wood tools). I would think i would just need to drill a hole 9/16"X5"+ (thats the size of the reducer) on a parallel plane with the stock, then a plug to stop any front to back movement.

That is basically all there is to it except that some composite stocks have a hollow butt stock.
and you would have to address that issue.

I have heard that once you drill into the cavity simply use some insulating foam to fill it
and then finish drilling the correct hole and install the recoil reducer and the recoil pad.

J E CUSTOM

You have the right idea...here's a few tips...

Go buy a high end forstner bit to drill the stock. Forget the cheap ones as they will want to wander a bit while drilling. May want to use the drill press to keep from drilling to one side or another. I drill all mine by hand, even the high end wood stocks. I've done quite a few, I just got comfortable by hand. After you drill the hole, use some epoxy to keep the reducer from moving under recoil. Replace the recoil pad, and you're finished.
Need some pictures of the process, send me a pm with an e-mail.

I have used and had many of these installed for customers in sporting and high volume shooting in shotguns and if you would like to try it (like it sounds) in a cheaper stock on one of your other rifles before you do it on your more expensive rig then drill the hole like described with a forsener bit an inch to 1/2 inch more than you need (in line and as high as you can with aparallel line with the bore) and then turn on the lathe or buy a wood dowel the same outside diameter to keep the reducer from moving forward and aft. dont epoxy in the "try out" stock so that you can install in your desired rifle. but note IT MUST BE PARALLEL TO THE BORE! if not it will now work as designed. Just to clarify the reducer works well in two ways: adding about 9oz of weight (adding weight reduces felt recoil) and by a counteraction of the heavy liquid mercury pushing forward at the rearward movement of the recoil. I have one of these in a shotgun and I can tell you they work. I cant say if they change any harmonics with the gun and change accuracy but i can undoughtedly say that they do reduce recoil over just there weight. if you want to check the difference just put the same amount of lead in the stock and then install the reducer and see for yourself. dont think its magic and going to take all the "kick" away but they do there intended purpose.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.