Recoil damage

Coldfinger

I was wondering if anyone has had any good scopes come unglued under moderate recoil. This scope recently became distorted and a lens is definitely loose in the objective. I was shooting a lightweight 7wsm with 180 grain Berger's. Recoil is stout but manageable. Weighs in at 6.3 pounds minus scope. Scope is VX3LR 4.5-14-40. I'll contact scope manufacturer tomorrow but was wondering if this happens often. I was still able to hit 200 yard gong just couldn't tell where the edges were so it pretty much kept it's zero.

Most of my damages are to my hat brims...not that the rifle is bucking....free slide backwards....jusy glad the brims are there...even if they ate tattered now....but that's earned...not like going to a store and buying a tattered brimmed hat.....

I've seen it when people are using lead sleds and the rifle cannot recoil freely.
I was shooting standing up with bipod feet on my grill just singing my 200 yard gong. It may have been assembled at 🍺:30 on a Friday night. I'm sure the manufacturer will back it they always have in the past.
I watched a guy chasing groups with a lead sled and 300 RUM. I refused to use it but it shot great when the rifle could recoil. All I could think was that poor stock and action screws watching him shoot. Never did buy one.

I was wondering if anyone has had any good scopes come unglued under moderate recoil. This scope recently became distorted and a lens is definitely loose in the objective. I was shooting a lightweight 7wsm with 180 grain Berger's. Recoil is stout but manageable. Weighs in at 6.3 pounds minus scope. Scope is VX3LR 4.5-14-40. I'll contact scope manufacturer tomorrow but was wondering if this happens often. I was still able to hit 200 yard gong just couldn't tell where the edges were so it pretty much kept it's zero.
I took a video of the scope sounds like a baby rattle. I don't see how to load a video

Any scope can go, some brands more than others. I've had two scopes stop working, one was a cheap interim scope I was not surprised about and the other was a high end Bushnell. The cheap one had an extra piece of something appear in view and quit holding zero or tracking true.

The Bushnell stopped tracking true. Unfortunately I found this up dialing elevation to shoot at a deer with a smokeless muzzleloader and it caused a poor shot. I felt the shot was solid so I quit hunting and went home to the range. The scope wouldn't move when dialed, but it would move to roughly where it was supposed to have gone after recoil of the subsequent shot. Bushnell fixed the scope and it remains in service, just not on a rifle I expect to be twisting turrets on much.

Even quality scopes can shoot loose. I would not call it common, only had it happen to two scopes, both with over 10,000 rounds on them, but I can also see it happening much sooner under the right circumstances or if the scope had a defect to start with.

My Nikon 4x32 on a 22rf lost zero and wouldn't hold zero after 2 boxes of ammo.
The erector had broken in 2. You could only see it if you reflected a bright light off of it.
That is my only scope failure. But I did destroy a Tasco scope when the rifle fell out of it's bag and the diopter was snapped clean off.

Cheers.

Does this rifle have a muzzle brake? Always wondered what brakes are doing to our scopes.
A brake reduces the stresses on a scope, the same as it does on your body. Scope does not care that the brake is really loud. In all cases, less recoil is easier on the firearm and its components.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.