Reducing Recoil on Rifles

Just to add more information to help people decide how they want to reduce recoil, we did lots of testing to give a definitive comparison of the different type of recoil devices.

We ran actual rifle test with the different types to see where they fell in the actual recoil reduction. some devices actually just add weight to the rifle reducing the felt recoil. Some devices simply add more square inches to the but plate lowering the felt recoil but not the actual recoil (Like recoil pads) and only reduce recoil buy a small amount.

We have the details and performance of each device in order in the FAQ
section of our web site that may help. No devices were targeted and all results were actual.

http://www.jecustom.com/index.php?pg=Home&cmd=Cell&cell=FAQ

The FAQ Section starts out to describe what recoil is and how it works, and then goes into the performance of each device. I realize that some will disagree with the outcome or the percentages. (I Did until I saw the test performed) and the wide range of recoil reduction. test were made using a machine that did not care what device was used and only showed the total amount of recoil and the percentage of reduction that the device produced. all test were performed with and without the device on the rifle so that a direct comparison could be made.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

Adding weight to the rifle will reduce recoil on a linear basis. Adding 10% to the rifle will reduce recoil by 10%.
You can put a brake on it. They will reduce it quite a bit depending on design.
Less ejecta from the muzzle. Lighter projectile, lighter powder charge, faster powder which equates to lighter powder charge.
Less muzzle velocity.

I am trying to maximizing portability and mobility by minimizing weight everywhere I can. I like the total weight with scope to be under 10lbs and prefer the balance point to be just a little ahead of the trigger if at all possible. So just adding unnecessary weight to dampen recoil probably wouldn't work for me.

375rifleman
On an existing rifle, with light weight a priority, install a quality muzzle brake and use good hearing protection. No better bang for buck/weight that I can think of.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.