Rechamber Dilema Which Caliber??

Clucknmoan

I have been looking to sell my model 700 long action 6.5 284 for awhile now, have dropped the price considerably and the fact is there just doesn't seem to be a market at any kind of decent value compared to what you put into these rifles. I originally wanted to sell it to fund a G7, and I have another 6.5 284 in a Savage. I chose the Savage over the 700 for several reasons, ease of rebarreling and potential sale value, the 700 could fund G7 easier. The savage is just a better option for what I am using that particular caliber for.

I have already got the G7 and its to the point now that I would rather rechamber (I don't need 2 6.5 284's) it the future rather than sell it for next to nothing, makes no sense to me. I need some ideas what to chamber this to.

Below my 6.5 I shoot a 220 Swift for coyotes and other varmints in closer around the house. Above my 6.5 I shoot a 300 WSM. Many smaller rifles than the 220, but nothing larger than the 300 WSM.

Here's what I would take into consideration, please add your input to this as well.

1. I'm not looking for something I can shoot at the range, it has to be practical for hunting.
2. Reloading components must be easy to come by. No sense in planning to build a caliber that you can't get brass for. Also no sense in building something you can't afford to shoot.
3. Long barrel life. One of the reason I chose a savage over the remington for my 6.5 284 was the ease of rebarreling. I do not want to rebarrel this 700 every 5 years.
4. Weight. This rifle as it sits now is on the heavier side. Down side of that is that it's not the best packing rifle for our steep country, but I've done it plenty. On the other hand, maybe because of the weight a larger caliber would be more suitable.

We hunt deer and elk quite a lot, but most of them are shot in the head or neck, usually with the 6.5, behind the shoulder is rare but of course sometimes there isn't an option. We also shoot about every varmint we see. We live out on a winter range in Idaho so any given day there is a good chance at a fox, coyote or wolf, 500+ shots are very typical on varmints. I like flat shooting calibers and I do not particularly like a rifle with major recoil, obviously in the larger ones there is going to have to be a tradeoff there.

Hard to get all the variables out of your head and on paper.

So what would you recommend, a 7mm, another .30 of some sort like a 300WM, a 6mm, .30 plus??

Any info or opinions would be appreciated.

I know I could have said 28-Nosler and I am.

Problem is, you will be spoiled for life.:D:D

Why not use a Remage nut if you like the ease of Savage rebarreling. As for caliber everyone needs an 30/06.

A no turn necked 6 BR will fill the niche, fast twist to handle the bullets over 100 grains...it'll be perfect !

The 6's are very tempting to me and I'm sure there is one in my future. I'm just not sure if thats the right route at this time and with what I have to work with. Seems like there is more practical use for me above the 6.5 right now and with the heavier platform I'm starting with.

I have been looking to sell my model 700 long action 6.5 284 for awhile now, have dropped the price considerably and the fact is there just doesn't seem to be a market at any kind of decent value compared to what you put into these rifles. I originally wanted to sell it to fund a G7, and I have another 6.5 284 in a Savage. I chose the Savage over the 700 for several reasons, ease of rebarreling and potential sale value, the 700 could fund G7 easier. The savage is just a better option for what I am using that particular caliber for.

I have already got the G7 and its to the point now that I would rather rechamber (I don't need 2 6.5 284's) it the future rather than sell it for next to nothing, makes no sense to me. I need some ideas what to chamber this to.

Below my 6.5 I shoot a 220 Swift for coyotes and other varmints in closer around the house. Above my 6.5 I shoot a 300 WSM. Many smaller rifles than the 220, but nothing larger than the 300 WSM.

Here's what I would take into consideration, please add your input to this as well.

1. I'm not looking for something I can shoot at the range, it has to be practical for hunting.
2. Reloading components must be easy to come by. No sense in planning to build a caliber that you can't get brass for. Also no sense in building something you can't afford to shoot.
3. Long barrel life. One of the reason I chose a savage over the remington for my 6.5 284 was the ease of rebarreling. I do not want to rebarrel this 700 every 5 years.
4. Weight. This rifle as it sits now is on the heavier side. Down side of that is that it's not the best packing rifle for our steep country, but I've done it plenty. On the other hand, maybe because of the weight a larger caliber would be more suitable.

We hunt deer and elk quite a lot, but most of them are shot in the head or neck, usually with the 6.5, behind the shoulder is rare but of course sometimes there isn't an option. We also shoot about every varmint we see. We live out on a winter range in Idaho so any given day there is a good chance at a fox, coyote or wolf, 500+ shots are very typical on varmints. I like flat shooting calibers and I do not particularly like a rifle with major recoil, obviously in the larger ones there is going to have to be a tradeoff there.

Hard to get all the variables out of your head and on paper.

So what would you recommend, a 7mm, another .30 of some sort like a 300WM, a 6mm, .30 plus??

Any info or opinions would be appreciated.
So a flat shooting, low recoil, long barrel life, able to take up to elk size game, and readily available components....
6.5-06, 6.5-06 ackley, 6.5 Sherman.

Yup, Its all a contradiction I know, usually is. Now that the Remage idea is being kicked around, barrel life isn't quite the issue is was before.

If I didn't already have a 6.5 284, I'd be looking at the Sherman for sure.

Yup, Its all a contradiction I know, usually is. Now that the Remage idea is being kicked around, barrel life isn't quite the issue is was before.

If I didn't already have a 6.5 284, I'd be looking at the Sherman for sure.

Every choice is a compromise. Change the bolt yes/no. 30-06 based case yes/no. 284 based case yes/no. Tried and true yes/no. New and different yes/no.

Since it's already a 284, you be up and running with little work other than a barrel change. 284 Shehane, 30-284. 270/284 or just a plane old 284.

If you go with a 30-06 based design you could have an '06AI, 280AI, 270AI.

With Hammer, Matrix and Berger bullets you have great long range choices for all of those.

If you switch to a magnum case, your R700 will need a new bolt and "feed lips" work.

For me, every "build" a great deal of the fun is the "what if I do this" part.

For me, every "build" a great deal of the fun is the "what if I do this" part.

Exactly!! Leaning more toward the magnums and yes I understand there will need to be a bit more work done, but that's ok!

7 Dakota, 7 LRM, 7-300 Win and 280 AI all sound like a good time.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts