What caliber to rechamber to?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Guest, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey guys , I've got a 26" SS barrel that shoots good but the throat is growing out past where it can be accurate so I was thinking about rechambering to something new.

Its currently a 300Win mag , I was thinking about the 300Ackley or maybe the 300 RUM but was wondering what sort of velocity increase i could expect from the 26" barrel and the RUM case ?

What calibers would you guys reccomend or should I just cut the barrel back some abd rechamber back to 300Win mag

2. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

depends on what you want to do with it. personally, the 300wm is fine to stick with. i got a rum for a little extra ass. picked it up last spring and shot the barrel out already. granted i shoot matches with it, so i definitely melt the barrel, but thats something you have to consider. big mags are barrel burners. i plan on still keeping it a rum with the new tube, but will probably limit the amount of matches i do with it. its a beautiful hunting caliber capable of any north american game, and does fine at 1k, for as long as the barrel lasts at least. if you plan on shooting a bit of matches, you're probably better off keeping it a wm, and save yourself a couple hundred rounds of barrel wear.

-brian

3. preacherman

preacherman Well-Known Member

...300 wsm seems to be "all the rage"... might wanna try that one for a change

4. Mysticplayer

Mysticplayer Writers Guild

I would stick with what is working. Set back the barrel in 300WM. The difference in performance with the RUM is small and barrel wear is higher.

Jerry