What caliber to rechamber to?

G

Hey guys , I've got a 26" SS barrel that shoots good but the throat is growing out past where it can be accurate so I was thinking about rechambering to something new.

Its currently a 300Win mag , I was thinking about the 300Ackley or maybe the 300 RUM but was wondering what sort of velocity increase i could expect from the 26" barrel and the RUM case ?

What calibers would you guys reccomend or should I just cut the barrel back some abd rechamber back to 300Win mag

depends on what you want to do with it. personally, the 300wm is fine to stick with. i got a rum for a little extra ***. picked it up last spring and shot the barrel out already. granted i shoot matches with it, so i definitely melt the barrel, but thats something you have to consider. big mags are barrel burners. i plan on still keeping it a rum with the new tube, but will probably limit the amount of matches i do with it. its a beautiful hunting caliber capable of any north american game, and does fine at 1k, for as long as the barrel lasts at least. if you plan on shooting a bit of matches, you're probably better off keeping it a wm, and save yourself a couple hundred rounds of barrel wear.

-brian

I would stick with what is working. Set back the barrel in 300WM. The difference in performance with the RUM is small and barrel wear is higher.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.