What to rechamber a 300 Win to ?

G

I've been thinking about rechambering one of my 300 Win mags to something with a little more punch. The barrels is 26" long and has a 1-10 twsit.
I was wanting something that would have minimal case forming like say a 30-8mm mag or maybe a 300RUM but I don't have any experiance with it , what sort of velocity could I expect with 180gr bullets out of a 26" tube

If you are due for a rebarrel, that's one thing. But, if it still shoots, I'd leave it alone. I'm not in favor of punching a factory barrel, buy a new custom barrel. You will be much happier. LB

LB , its a Pac-Nor barrel and has about 2500 rounds through it and the throat is getting long so I figured that I'd just set it back about a half inch and rechamber to a longer rounds to get back into some clean lands and try a new caliber , much cheaper than a new tube

Oh! That's a much different situation, sorry I jumped to conclusions. Your reasoning appears to be sound, except a small reservation would be amount of rounds fired. In that case, there are several possibilities. Personal preference prevails. LB

edited for spelling, please excuse

[ 08-01-2004: Message edited by: LB ]

If your throat is getting worn and it has 2500 rds through it, in my opinion your are wasting good money to set it back and go to a larger case.

Chances are the barrel is showing signs of firecracking forward of the throat and going to more powder will really accelerate its demise. You really need to take a long hard look with a borescope before you do this.

Save the $150 for a new barrel.

BH

LB , its a Pac-Nor barrel and has about 2500 rounds through it and the throat is getting long so I figured that I'd just set it back about a half inch and rechamber to a longer rounds to get back into some clean lands and try a new caliber , much cheaper than a new tube
Might want to consider the rest of the wear, about three inches at least and then its just a good luck deal as to weather or not you get any real life from that tube or accuracy.

Based on that, 300 PRC would be fun if you have the mag room.

30 Sherman Magnum has plenty of performance and you can shoot 300 PRC ammo very accurately in a pinch.
shermanwildcatcartridges.com

OMG HOLY REVIVAL! 18 years!
E9E55535-2260-4CD1-94D4-2E31A3CBDC8D.gif

Recent Posts