Really impressed with the Ruger American...

I picked up an American in the Predator 6.5CM after seeing they were on sale at Dicks. I took it apart, took out the little pre-trigger wedge and spring in the center of the trigger (HATE those things), took out the trigger pull weight screw, and clipped the trigger weight spring shorter until I get a perfect crisp 2.0 lb trigger with no creep, perfect break, and no overtravel. Polished all the metal surfaces that contact other metal, and degreased all the shipping oil. Then...I went to work on the stock. Bored out the forend and the first "x" inside the stock where the sling stud goes. Now with bipod with extreme front or rear pressure, I'm not even close to the barrel and stock touching. Polished up a few rough spots from the mold the stock was cast in, and she is running like a top. I threw my Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 on there and it fit just perfectly with my defender caps on. Looks like it will weigh 7.8 pounds with 4 rounds and my Javelin bipod adapter on there after everything is said and done. This will be a backup to my backup, and a truck beat around gun, but if it shoots I can see myself taking it along just for the size/feel/portability! It's also nice to not care if something gets beat-up, not that I'm easy on my nice rifles either. Looking forward to shooting it, chronographing it, confirming all my drops, and shooting something with it! It will make a great little winter wolf gun with the shorter barrel and weight. Strap that baby on a snowmobile, and hit the woods to the highpoints and glass!

6point,

My guess is that it adds 1 1/2 pounds B/C laminated stocks are very heavy.I bought a Browning thumbhole laminated stock for my .300 Win mag A-Bolt and it was too **** heavy to take deer hunting. I just used the plastic stock instead. But boy, for bench shooting that laminated stock, after bedding, is a joy to use.

But I will use a Boyd's laminated stock for coyote hunting then switch it back to plastic for deer and elk since I have to hunt at 8,000 to 9,000 ft. in northern Nevada.

Eric B.

They are nice rifles for the money. I bought one in .308 when they were on sale at Gander Mtn for $299. I haven't fired it yet but I disassembled it and took a Dremel to the stock and widened the barrel channel. After that I filled the forend honeycomb with body filler and sanded it down smooth and contoured it so the barrel stayed floated. It stiffens the stock up great and I have put some pressure on the barrel and it will not touch. I was concerned about rust and the lack of blueing prompted me to do a FDE paint job. :)

6point,

My guess is that it adds 1 1/2 pounds B/C laminated stocks are very heavy.I bought a Browning thumbhole laminated stock for my .300 Win mag A-Bolt and it was too **** heavy to take deer hunting. I just used the plastic stock instead. But boy, for bench shooting that laminated stock, after bedding, is a joy to use.

But I will use a Boyd's laminated stock for coyote hunting then switch it back to plastic for deer and elk since I have to hunt at 8,000 to 9,000 ft. in northern Nevada.

Eric B.

Litehiker,

After doing some dremel work, I don't think I'll go the Boyds route. It's so light and balanced so well for a truck gun! Thank you for the info.

Bringing up this old thread:
I was kinda going through a crisis with my .338 RUM (groups opened from .5 MOA or less to 4-6 moa) with a week left before my elk hunt in Colorado. Searched this and several sites for a replacement but not really finding something that just grabbed my fancy. Then had several offers from local friends and friends on this site to lend me a rifle and ammo (BIG THANKS to you, and you know who you are), but I am rough on equipment and couldn't take that risk. So I decided to buy a budget rifle to get me through this hunt. The only thing I could find, within reasonable driving distance, in a left hand big game caliber (and less than $800) was a Ruger American in 30-06 for $350. I went and got it this weekend and slapped my 2-10 Weaver Super Slam on it. Today I took some 180 grain Federal blue box ammo and did a quick 10 shot fire & clean break in, with very-very little copper deposited and all in a nice 1.5" group at 100. Then started load development with 210 Bergers, RL17, CCI 200...and man was I pleasantly surprised. With very little development (5 rounds of increased powder), it is shooting a legit .5" x 5 round group. I then smacked bullseye at 400 and 550...time to go hunting!

I was kinda going through a crisis with my .338 RUM (groups opened from .5 MOA or less to 4-6 moa) with a week left before my elk hunt in Colorado. Searched this and several sites for a replacement but not really finding something that just grabbed my fancy. Then had several offers from local friends and friends on this site to lend me a rifle and ammo (BIG THANKS to you, and you know who you are), but I am rough on equipment and couldn't take that risk. So I decided to buy a budget rifle to get me through this hunt. The only thing I could find, within reasonable driving distance, in a left hand big game caliber (and less than $800) was a Ruger American in 30-06 for $350. I went and got it this weekend and slapped my 2-10 Weaver Super Slam on it. Today I took some 180 grain Federal blue box ammo and did a quick 10 shot fire & clean break in, with very-very little copper deposited and all in a nice 1.5" group at 100. Then started load development with 210 Bergers, RL17, CCI 200...and man was I pleasantly surprised. With very little development (5 rounds of increased powder), it is shooting a legit .5" x 5 round group. I then smacked bullseye at 400 and 550...time to go hunting!

Nice! I found a RAP in 6.5 CM a couple weeks ago and ended up pleasantly surprised like many folks have reported. I now have 10 shots through it. The first two were to zero and the next 8 printed 1/2 MOA 4 shot groups at 200 yards and then at 330.

Sad thing is, that like most manufacturers, the cool/non-standard rifles only come in right hand models. Which is weird to me as they make left hand actions and stocks, why not just slap the chambered barrel on them?

Good deal B4 although one PM could have saved you a pile of money, I'd have happily loaned you one of my 300's.

That is a great gesture and I thank you. Even though I have done the same for a memeber of this site, I wouldn't ask that of you. I would have been too afraid of something happening to it and probably would have left it in the truck. I'm rough on equipment, that's why most of my stuff gets krylon painted. 2 minutes with a spray can and it's like new again.:D

That is a great gesture and I thank you. Even though I have done the same for a memeber of this site, I wouldn't ask that of you. I would have been too afraid of something happening to it and probably would have left it in the truck. I'm rough on equipment, that's why most of my stuff gets krylon painted. 2 minutes with a spray can and it's like new again.:D
Unless you're letting it fall off of the toolbox while you're driving down the road you're not any harder than I am on them than I am and I know you're the kind of guy who wouldn't send one back busted.

Got to looking for one of the Rum's the other day and found it completely buried under a pile in the backseat. HA!

You ought to know by now I don't ever mind helping any of my friends out when I can.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.