Really impressed with the Ruger American...

Unofficial Gun Addict (UGA)

Heya guys... earlier this year, I bought (2) Ruger Precision Rifles... .308 & 6.5cm. After spending a little time with both... even though I really liked the features and accuracy... I decided to sell both. The reason... I hunt a lot, and these guns felt like carrying a bag of bricks out to my stands. The added weight really could be felt especially when dragging a mutt back out, as sometimes, I hike half a mile to a mile in to setup.

So... even though I really thought the RPR was a special rifle... I didn't see how it fit with my needs.

Recently, a gentleman that I met online asked me about trading a Ruger American Predator 6.5CM for a Glock I had. I bit the bullet.... and am happy that I did. My son and I got out this weekend and were pleasantly surprised by it's performance. Though I really need to get some smaller rings for the scope to bring it down to a comfortable level, it shot quite well using Horandy ELD 140s out to 500. It was so easy to shoot well... that my son and I have decided that the next time we go... we're going to push it out to 1k.

Very impressed with such a light, easy to carry/manage rifle. Tremendous value for the performance... at least in my mind. It's amazing what some of the companies (Savage, Ruger, Remington, Tikka, etc....) are producing when it comes to their standard econ lines. Some amazing shooting rifles out there for a pittance.

Here's a vid of our first attempt at 500 yards. Kudos to Ruger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g-jSDBTw4A

EDIT BY LEN FOLLOWS

[ame]https://youtu.be/4g-jSDBTw4A[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very good shooting. Just couple things, and not trying to be an *** either...
I noticed that on the last shot (at about 4:30) you approached the rifle on the bench and loaded a round before you sat down. Then you gripped the rifle and put your finger on the trigger while still standing with your head turned while speaking to your son. It appears the safety was not on either. That is all bad practice. Seems there's a lot going on on a bench these days, especially when you are filming and talking to someone else. Be focused and be safe.

Last edited:
Heya.... Safety has to come first Barrelnut. I definitely appreciate the feedback and I noticed it as well when I was cutting the footage and made a mental note of it for next trip. The little things catch up with us all one day, so it's best to attend to them as we go. Much appreciated! One reason I keep coming back to this site.

Good shooting rifle and a good review.
I was considering the Ruger when I went looking for a 6.5 gun but hoping I made the right choice with the Tikka lightweight in 6.5 Sweede?
What I did notice in the video was the lack of extraction? Its kinds nice to not have to chase brass at the range but in the field it can be a problem.

UGA, my son bought 2 Ruger Americans for my grandsons. A .223 and a 7mm-08. I loaded some hand loads and we went to the range after break in with Hornady factory ammo the previous trip. I was very impressed with the accuracy and they are easy on the wallet. The stock isn't too great, but we can upgrade when the kids are older.

Good shooting rifle and a good review.
I was considering the Ruger when I went looking for a 6.5 gun but hoping I made the right choice with the Tikka lightweight in 6.5 Sweede?
What I did notice in the video was the lack of extraction? Its kinds nice to not have to chase brass at the range but in the field it can be a problem.

I should have mentioned that in the video that I am doing this so that I don't have to chase them... as we had done a K31 at 100 to get it sighted and I ended up picking up a lot of brass, so I decided to just pull them as opposed to throw them.

This worked pretty well with the American, but with the K31.... it was a pain to work around the scope mount to dig them out... so I just decided for that gun... to yank and chase brass! LOL

So.. no issues so far with extraction. Will definitely mention this next go!! Thanks MachV!

(and the Tikka's are very well made and accurate rifles... I would put the quality of the build above that of the Ruger American personally... just the fit... finish... and feel. I started out considering the Swede as it's been a performer a long ways back.... but just happened upon this deal and decided to take a sip of the Creedmoor coolaid. Had been avoiding it for a long time... but glad I got a taste).

UGA, my son bought 2 Ruger Americans for my grandsons. A .223 and a 7mm-08. I loaded some hand loads and we went to the range after break in with Hornady factory ammo the previous trip. I was very impressed with the accuracy and they are easy on the wallet. The stock isn't too great, but we can upgrade when the kids are older.

Heya Dosh... you might consider bedding the stock.... it stiffens it up surprisingly and may alleviate the need for an aftermarket stock down the road... allowing them to put funds towards something else they need!!

Heya.... Safety has to come first Barrelnut. I definitely appreciate the feedback and I noticed it as well when I was cutting the footage and made a mental note of it for next trip. The little things catch up with us all one day, so it's best to attend to them as we go. Much appreciated! One reason I keep coming back to this site.

Great. I'll be watching your next video. LOL

I very happy with my RAP rifle so far. It's also in 6.5 Creedmoor. It shoots the 140 and 143 grain ELD factory ammo about 1/2". It will put some 140 ELD hand loads under 1/2"....Very cool rifle for the price. I had trouble getting the 140 Berger Hybrids to group last time out, but did a powder change and I'm going to try them out tomorrow...

Heya Dosh... you might consider bedding the stock.... it stiffens it up surprisingly and may alleviate the need for an aftermarket stock down the road... allowing them to put funds towards something else they need!!

I know that Ruger has put a stiffer Honeycomb pattern in the 2016 stocks to attack that problem, but probably not enough. I would be interested in seeing How you did your stock.

I know that Ruger has put a stiffer Honeycomb pattern in the 2016 stocks to attack that problem, but probably not enough. I would be interested in seeing How you did your stock.
I seen a YouTube video where a guy used Rockite to stiffen his RAP stock. I did the same and it worked great. The stock is as stiff as board now. The only problem is it added significant weight, probably 3 pounds plus. I have been doing a product request form on Boyds website trying to get them to make the ProVarmint stock for it. I think they are sick of me emailing them because they quit responding.:D..
If enough people request it, they will make it. Hint hint:)

UGA, Tupperware doesn't lend itself well to bedding. Boyd's Pro-Varmint is probably what we'll get and bed them.

Heya... I'll get some images.... and try to get a total weight on the stock! It'll have to be early next week as going to be out with my boy for his first few days of summer break...

UGA, Tupperware doesn't lend itself well to bedding. Boyd's Pro-Varmint is probably what we'll get and bed them.

Yeah Dosh... I've had issues with both Savage and Remington tup.... but have been fairly pleased with the rigidity of the RAP. I'll do a review in the coming weeks... and try to show the lack of flex now. Wish I had another so that I could show the before and after... but those that own one will hopefully be able to tell the difference. The weight is something to think about, but I really don't notice it... but got me to wondering how much I really added. Will definitely check that out!

Thanks for the awesome discussion guys... enjoying your feedback and thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts