Ruger rpr....not impressed

Got one of these on sale.
Was able finally get out and zero and shoot yesterday.
Best I could get with hornady match ammo of 1.25" group.

Had initially used to cheap FMJ 147gr bullets to get on paper and close...had a lot of horizontal stringing of shots..not sure what that means...

Swapped to the hornady match ammo and closed the groups down significantly, however still having one round that pops about an inch high..

Going to do some minor load work this week...but initial impressions are ....ehh
Love mine in 6 Creed never used factory loads! I use 107 gr Nosler RDF's over 42.6 gr H4350 holds .217 groups all day!

You can also tune the factory triggers. My Ruger American only went as low as 3.5 pounds. It now goes down to 1.5 ( I can even get it lower) without a problem. Its still perfectly safe to. I tested it and felt bad for the gun because of how hard I beat it. And slammed the bolt home fast and hard. You just have to do the right things to get it like that not hard takes less then 5 minutes. Also there is almost no creep, just about cant feel it that to can be adjusted to be less.

All you need is a fine file and a wire cutters. I think you get the pictures.

But yes there are aftermarket triggers. I will be hard put to buy one after knowing how easy and safe it is to make the factory trigger into a like aftermarket trigger.

Doing mine this weekend (if my torque wrench gets here).

How do you adjust for creep?

Where the sear and trigger meet. you need to take a little metal off to get the sear ledge down to about .020 You can also do it by taking a little off the trigger where it sets against the sear. The company's play it safe on put a good sized ledge on the sear for the trigger to catch. I also remove the little "safety" part of the trigger. Its not needed and the aftermarket triggers do not have it. It just adds pull weight.

I wish i would have took pictures or a video of the process when I did two of them. Pictures or videos are worth a lot.

I will say this if you have ever messed with Ruger triggers you will be able to tell whats needed when you get in there. My "non adjustable" 6.5 Pound M77 mark 2 is now sitting @ 1.5 pounds. With no creep.

I take it you have the 6.5 then shooting 147 FMJs? I have one in 308 that will shoot anything I put through it well under MOA with most in the half MOA range. I'm talking super cheap surplus ammo, garbage Tulammo that won't shoot in any of my other rifles and several different factory ammo from 150s to 180s. With handloads (175 VLD, 175 RDF or 178 ELD) that rifle will darn near single hole them.
My experience isn't unique...these RPRs just flat out shoot. That's not to take away from your experience but I would start with the basics and double check everything. Scope mounted correctly, properly torqued, good rings, rifle clean, etc., etc.
147 s are 308 fmjbt

I've put hundreds of 6.5 CM rounds of several varieties down my RPR's barrel and got good (MOA) to excellent (sub 1/2 MOA) with these rounds.

Mine likes 147 gr. Hornady ELD-M ammo best.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I have owned a RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor for about 2 years and have about 1500 rounds down the tube. It has been exceptionally accurate since new with both factory Hornady 140 ELD-M factory ammo and hand loads. Performance is equal or better then my custom rigs costing 2-3x more! Used almost exclusively for PRS, I am acquainted with several other PRS competitors that have experienced comparable performance. While it's certsinly possible for any maker to produce a lemon, my general impression based on several samples is that this rifle can be expected to be a good shooter.
Shown: My PRS load with 142 Sierra 142SMK's and a Factory loaf of Hornady 140ELD-M's .
5972DD67-630A-4CBA-AE89-9A973C52762F.jpeg 5D6DF9F0-69CD-4D4E-9370-2F71679D92ED.jpeg

I have several friends who own one of these rifles, (both 6.5 CM) very accurate and easy to load for. Proof Ruger is following up on their quest to improve barrel quality. Definitely not a hunting rifle, just too **** heavy.

OP hasn't posted since Tuesday.
Waiting to see if he found something loose on the rifle, bad batch of ammo, (happens more often than I can count) or if he suspects the rifle itself.

I have several friends who own one of these rifles, (both 6.5 CM) very accurate and easy to load for. Proof Ruger is following up on their quest to improve barrel quality. Definitely not a hunting rifle, just too ---- heavy.
I do agree with that. That is why my build right now with seekins rail, proof barrel and running one of the new seekins pro comp stocks should take a good deal of that weight out I hope!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts