Ruger rpr....not impressed

Remy700,
I like my RPR as-is (plus a few mods) f0r competition. Damned accurate.

My answer to a 6.5 hunting rifle was a 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator - until I discovered on a hunting trip that Ruger never gave it a locking bolt. I "discovered" this omission by losing two cartridges from my RAP's chamber when, unknown to me, brush popped the bolt open and the cartridge fell out. Calling Ruger's Customer Service department about the problem resulted in a "Deal with it" answer. NOT GOOD!

SO... my solution was to sell the RAP, with its Timmy trigger and Boyd's Classic stock, and buy a 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro, their top of the line "semi-custom" rifle, as my mountain rifle. At 6 lbs. 1 oz. It gives me the same 1/2 MOA accuracy with Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M ammo as the RAP did and it has a robust bolt lock with an innovative override button that permits bolt opening while on safe.

SO Ruger has a problem with this American action and THEY NEED TO FIX IT.

Eric B.

Well, I quit "thinking about getting one" and went down and picked one up in 300 Win Mag!

26" carbon steel hammer forged 9 twist 5R barrel. Trigger pull measured 2 pounds without touching it, so I left it alone. Mine weighs 15.6 pounds without the scope. Removed 2 back plugs on muzzle brake, threw a Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP scope off another rifle and took it out with some Federal blue box 180 gr. Speer HotCor I picked up YEARS ago for like $10.00 a box. Shot 5 rounds as a simple function test into the desert berm (mountain) Not a single problem or hiccup. Got the stock adjusted and had it sighted in 5 more rounds. Commenced to shooting 30 more rounds... honestly, I couldn't stop! I really like this rifle! Able to spot my own hits right down to 100 yards with those little 180 grainers!
"Most" of my 3 round groups were sub .5 MOA at 100 (Had 3 of those and 2 at under .75 MOA. I suspect the ammo or me on those but there was gusty winds then, too... LOL! I'm full of excuses!)
Ran it out to 240 and 550, and had a little trouble with the 20 mph wind gusts at 550, then ran out of ammo.
Went home, cleaned it up, measured everything and loaded a few 215 Berger's with some H1000.
If it shoots those like I think it will, it will be worth the money spent in entertainment value alone!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.