Really impressed with the Ruger American...

Hey, if you hunting big game and not bench rest rest shooting your better off to buy any of these el-cheappo deluxe bolts for hunting. All of them will shoot two inch groups at 100 yards and that's more than good enough to hit any big game animal out to 300-400 yards with no problem...so keep your hard earned cash in YOUR pocket or fix up that old action.

Hey, if you hunting big game and not bench rest rest shooting your better off to buy any of these el-cheappo deluxe bolts for hunting. All of them will shoot two inch groups at 100 yards and that's more than good enough to hit any big game animal out to 300-400 yards with no problem...so keep your hard earned cash in YOUR pocket or fix up that old action.

Lol... I just responded to a post you left under a weatherby thread! Well said!

Heya.... Safety has to come first Barrelnut. I definitely appreciate the feedback and I noticed it as well when I was cutting the footage and made a mental note of it for next trip. The little things catch up with us all one day, so it's best to attend to them as we go. Much appreciated! One reason I keep coming back to this site.

You Sir are a class act. Sdly It's not often that I see people willing to post the good and or bad parts and take comment intended for simple progression well. We all make mistakes and none of us are immune to it but the wise man listens.
Well done.

You Sir are a class act. Sdly It's not often that I see people willing to post the good and or bad parts and take comment intended for simple progression well. We all make mistakes and none of us are immune to it but the wise man listens.
Well done.

Thank you Str8shooterTX. My Dad tried to teach me to take responsibility for my errors and learn from them. I didn't realize how much my message sounded like him until I read it from your quoted message. Thank you for your kind words sir.

Heya guys... earlier this year, I bought (2) Ruger Precision Rifles... .308 & 6.5cm. After spending a little time with both... even though I really liked the features and accuracy... I decided to sell both. The reason... I hunt a lot, and these guns felt like carrying a bag of bricks out to my stands. The added weight really could be felt especially when dragging a mutt back out, as sometimes, I hike half a mile to a mile in to setup.

So... even though I really thought the RPR was a special rifle... I didn't see how it fit with my needs.

Recently, a gentleman that I met online asked me about trading a Ruger American Predator 6.5CM for a Glock I had. I bit the bullet.... and am happy that I did. My son and I got out this weekend and were pleasantly surprised by it's performance. Though I really need to get some smaller rings for the scope to bring it down to a comfortable level, it shot quite well using Horandy ELD 140s out to 500. It was so easy to shoot well... that my son and I have decided that the next time we go... we're going to push it out to 1k.

Very impressed with such a light, easy to carry/manage rifle. Tremendous value for the performance... at least in my mind. It's amazing what some of the companies (Savage, Ruger, Remington, Tikka, etc....) are producing when it comes to their standard econ lines. Some amazing shooting rifles out there for a pittance.

Here's a vid of our first attempt at 500 yards. Kudos to Ruger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g-jSDBTw4A

EDIT BY LEN FOLLOWS

https://youtu.be/4g-jSDBTw4A
Not bad at all you should both be proud of the shooting and the camera work.

So since Dick's has them on sale this week for $349 I assume I should pick one up.I have a nice Ruger 77 varmint in 22/250 that I hate to take out for fear of scratching it so maybe I should buy one of these Americans and restock it and keep it as a beater.

LOVE IT! Excellent shooting. Your RAP rifle is as accurate as my 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle that I use for competition. BTW, I agree, the RPR is NOT for hunting unless you take an ATV to your stand. That's why I have the Predator. I'll use it this year backpacking in Nevada's Jarbige Wildenness for mules and cow elk.

Think about joining the 6.5 Creedmoor Forum. Lots of info there.

I have the same RAP in 6.5 Creedmoor. I put an SWFA 5 - 15 x 42 scope on it. First focal plane, mil/mil and side focus knob. The glass is excellent for a $600. scope, hell, even for a $1,000. scope. Your Weaver scope is in the next price bracket above mine and is also a great buy.

Due to the heat wave here in 'Vegas (110 - 113 F. ) I haven't sighted it in yet. I'm using Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X factory cartridges B/C my garage has been too beastly hot to do hand loading.

COMING MODS:
1. Boyd's Classic laminated stock (V blocks bedded with JB Weld)
2. Timney trigger
3. Savage 110 aluminum trigger guard (fits the Boyd's stock perfectly)
4. Uncle Mike's Flush Cup sling swivels

All the mods including the scope & Burris 4 bolt rings are medium priced items, in keeping with the rifle's price. But, like the rifle, they are the best for the money.

Eric B.

Litehiker,

Do you know what the Boyds stock adds weight wise to the factory package? I couldn't really find a consistent answer? I'm was guessing maybe a pound, but that was purely guess. If you have or come across any info on the weigh of that standard stock throw it up here!

One of the primary reasons I got the Ruger Predator was the light weight. I have heavier rifles but they can be a pain to drag into particularly distant coyote stands... A mile in and out can be arduous with my heavy barreled guns. I liked the Predator so much I just picked up a Ruger Ranch in 300 Blackout. The predator will be my light weight long distance rifle, and the Ranch my light weight short range rifle.

Guys have been using the Boyd stocks with good success...but the weight factor just had me need the forestock on the Predator.

One of the primary reasons I got the Ruger Predator was the light weight. I have heavier rifles but they can be a pain to drag into particularly distant coyote stands... A mile in and out can be arduous with my heavy barreled guns. I liked the Predator so much I just picked up a Ruger Ranch in 300 Blackout. The predator will be my light weight long distance rifle, and the Ranch my light weight short range rifle.

Guys have been using the Boyd stocks with good success...but the weight factor just had me need the forestock on the Predator.

I bought my Wife a 6.5 Creedmoor RAR Predator. Even though it has the newer stock with better reinforcement it, still was against the barrel on one side. A five minute rasp job took care of that but my Wife ants a Boyd's. If it adds 1# or less it will still be a fairly light rifle.

I would have to agree these Rugers are pretty impressive for the price. I picked one up for my wife about 3 years ago during a Christmas sale for 279. It's a 270 and I've been loading the 130 vlds with much success. This is the first "cheap" rifle I have bought and was hesitant to buy it. Factory ammo it shot about 3/4" at 100 and down to just under 1/2" with the vlds. I used it this year on a whitetail doe hunt and this thing is much nicer to carry than my other 10+lb rifles.

For the weight, price, and accuracy I am pretty confident in this gun and it is hard to beat. I'm pretty particular about keeping my guns in good condition, but it is kinda nice to take this thing out and not really have to worry about getting a scratch here or there (as long as my wife doesn't see). If you don't want to spend a lot of money or just want a reliable back up bolt rifle these deserve a second look.

I've now shot two Ruger Americans, a .223 and a .243, owned by friends.
1) These are not premium-feeling rifles. No surprise for the price. Bolt throw and feeding leave something to be desired.
2) Incredibly impressed with both triggers. They put Remington to absolute shame, and are on par with Savage but I actually give Ruger the edge without the whole blade issue of the Accutrigger. Both guns I told the owners not to bother messing with the factory setting of the trigger, it was that good.
3) Very impressed with the accuracy. The .223 went right to work dispatching prairie dogs out to 400 yards, and did so with nearly the regularity of my custom 243AI shooting next to it. The 243 I shot is not broken it but already shooting sub-MOA to 300 yards.

I'm already telling people who want an economical factory rifle who don't plan on upgrading to buy the Ruger American.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.