A Problem With ALL Ruger American centerfire rifles

not if it takes the ruger mags. Go ahead and do what you said. You know, the 'another web search' thing.

Beat you to it. :) Didn't find anything, just a lot of people complaining about the same thing with similar results, Ruger providing fast replacements that still don't function. One guy apparently went through 5 magazines (playing the "Magazine Lottery with Ruger") and only got 2 that functioned. Ugh . . . face-palm.

I'm sure that at some point someone will figure it out. I think I'm going to sacrifice one of my two non-performers and see if I can disassemble and tighten the spring tension . . . boing . . . and sh!t!!!

Have safeties of late lacked the locking feature. Thought it had to do with unloading the rifle with safety on. This is non-issue with three position Model 70 kinda safety.

Model 70 safeties can do the same thing if you carry the rifle with the safety in the middle position.
You click off the safety and pull the trigger to hear the firing pin snap to lightly dent the primer and look at the bolt to find it was only closed about half way.
Kind of scares you a bit to think about the rifle firing with the bolt half open.
It had happened a few times. I carry my right hand rifle with sling over my left shoulder and the safety is either rubbing on my hip or my hunting pack.

I own several Ruger rifles:
-> stainless 10/22
-> 96/22 magnum lever action rifle
-> Ruger Precision Rifle (6.4 CM)
-> Ruger American Predator

I like them all but one has a true problem endemic to its design.

While hunting with my RAP I lost cartridges on three different occasions. The problem was that the bolt handle easily moves up and the bolt falls open, extracting the cartridge. I have had this happen two times with my Kifaru Gun Bearer and once just using the rifle sling on my shoulder.

I contacted Ruger and the upshot was that their techs said my rifle design was not at fault and was "safe". But the customer service rep said that Ruger would buy my rifle back at the price I paid for it if I sent it in with the receipt.

Well fat chance that would happen now, after I had purchased their outrageously expensive $45. spare magazine, a Timmy trigger and a Boyd's Classic laminated stock and alloy trigger guard.

So, my alternatives are:
1. See if a gunsmith can do a mechanical fix (which would void any Ruger warranty, natch)
2. Do a "redneck fix" such as tie an elastic loop to the trigger guard and up around the bolt handle but make it so it is fast to remove from the handle.

Potential Ruger American rifle buyers should beware of this problem. Jus' saying'...

Eric B.
There are several ways to add a Ball Lock on most Bolt Guns,have done several over the years for similar problems. Similar to the modification I do on S&W revolvers to increase the Lock up of the cranes.
I own several Ruger rifles:
-> stainless 10/22
-> 96/22 magnum lever action rifle
-> Ruger Precision Rifle (6.4 CM)
-> Ruger American Predator

I like them all but one has a true problem endemic to its design.

While hunting with my RAP I lost cartridges on three different occasions. The problem was that the bolt handle easily moves up and the bolt falls open, extracting the cartridge. I have had this happen two times with my Kifaru Gun Bearer and once just using the rifle sling on my shoulder.

I contacted Ruger and the upshot was that their techs said my rifle design was not at fault and was "safe". But the customer service rep said that Ruger would buy my rifle back at the price I paid for it if I sent it in with the receipt.

Well fat chance that would happen now, after I had purchased their outrageously expensive $45. spare magazine, a Timmy trigger and a Boyd's Classic laminated stock and alloy trigger guard.

So, my alternatives are:
1. See if a gunsmith can do a mechanical fix (which would void any Ruger warranty, natch)
2. Do a "redneck fix" such as tie an elastic loop to the trigger guard and up around the bolt handle but make it so it is fast to remove from the handle.

Potential Ruger American rifle buyers should beware of this problem. Jus' saying'...

Eric B.

Super,
Either a spring loaded ball & detent lock or a strong, small rare earth magnet imbedded in the stock beneath the bolt handle would hold the bolt but also ALWAYS make it slower to operate.

"Alternate Plan B"
A V-shaped lever on the rear, right side of the receiver, (pivoting on the bottom of the V) and attached to the inside of the stock may be the best answer. It would look like a Remington safety but be a dedicated bolt lock.

The short forward end of the V would rise on rearward movement of the exposed, knurled top of the rear of the V. As the forward portion of the V rose its end would impinge into a machined slot in the bolt bottom. The long rear side of the V would have a knurled end for thumb operation as in a Remington safety. Likely this V would itself need either two spring loaded ball locks to hold it in either "Lock" and "Open" positions with detents in both front and rear sides of the V. OR one spring loaded ball impinging into one of two detents to receive the ball in either position. This requires the base of the V to be wide enough to accommodate two detents with the V is in "Lock" or "Open" position.
(Clear as mud now?) I proposed this solution to Anarchy Outdoors last week.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I feel your pain. I've got a Ruger American in .22 LR that I use for squirrel hunting. Crawling through brush and walking through thick stuff and something always grabs the bolt handle and opens it. I really want a RAP but that would drive me crazy with my deer rifle. Aggravating enough to shoulder my gun to shoot at a squirrel and I've lost a bullet and bolt is open.

The problem I had with my Ruger American was that there was a huge gap between the barrrel and the stock on one side and it was touching the barrel on the other side. I have noticed others on store shelves had the same problem. I was impressed with the aluminum bedding in the fiber/plastic stock.

I had a problem with the mag that came with my RAP, rounds one and two fed perfectly, round three jammed nose-first into front of mag. Yes, I had ensured that they were fully seated at the back. It happened consistently. I wrote to Ruger and they sent me a replacement, no questions asked, points for customer service. In the meantime I got a 2nd mag for Christmas from my Wife, same issue with that one (round 3 into the front of the box). My replacement mag does the same thing, but not as consistently.

All 3 mags have issues with round 3 feeding.

Other than that, I got this rifle out the door including tax for $406, I love this rifle for what it is. Impressively accurate, but it's a two-shot. I need to do another web-search to see if anyone offers an aftermarket alternative (I'd buy 3).

I had the same problem, the tip would just hit below the mag lip or the casing edge would catch on the lip itself. I carefully used an exacto knife to bevel the inside edge of the mag where the tip or case mouth could catch. ZERO problems since then.

Beat you to it. :) Didn't find anything, just a lot of people complaining about the same thing with similar results, Ruger providing fast replacements that still don't function. One guy apparently went through 5 magazines (playing the "Magazine Lottery with Ruger") and only got 2 that functioned. Ugh . . . face-palm.

I'm sure that at some point someone will figure it out. I think I'm going to sacrifice one of my two non-performers and see if I can disassemble and tighten the spring tension . . . boing . . . and sh!t!!!
I solved the problem with mine in 300blk by shimming the stock to change the stock to action relationship. I put two pieces of aluminum tape in the rear v-block. Now feeds my cast bullets well. The stock controls how the magazine is oriented to the action.

Had a similar issue with my Ruger American in that the bolt lifted slightly as I was busting my way through some brush. I noticed it right away so the bolt did not open. Now that I'm aware of it, I tend to pay much more attention.

I've had the bolt lift and when I pulled the trigger on a coyote, click-nothing. Cycled another round and got him, then figured out what happened. When I realized they made it so the bolt opens with the safety on I immediately thought of Remington and their lawsuits. Ruger wanted no part of that. Now I really pay attention to it or just loop a rubber band around the trigger guard and up to the bolt. It slips off easy when I need it to.