Re-barrel my hunting rifle

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
My hunting rifle for the last ten years is finally toast. This is a rifle that is semi custom. Was re-barreled with a 30" Lilja chambered in 30-338 Lap Imp. It was a 10" twist. The rifle is a 995 Sako.

I thought I had this all planned out, but now that it is time I am struggling with the idea.

Barrels avail to work with are....

A 30" 10 twist .308. Thinking of just setting the rifle back as it was. 3600 fps 181g Hammer Hunter is formidable.

A 26" 9 twist .308. Thinking of staying same chamber but designing a longer 180g class Hammer Hunter that would be a high bc for the 9" twist. This would get my rifle down to a better weight cause I am getting old. :rolleyes:

A 30" 10 twist .375. Thinking of a 375-338 Lap Imp. The reamer for this is already on it's way. This is what I was sure that I was going to do. Second thought is that I would have to purchase a set of dies and another muzzle break. Also it will render the repeater to a single shot. I don't mind a single shot, it just seems odd to do that to it. Like it's a waste. The idea here is to run a super high bc 375 Hammer Hunter in the 2800 to 2900 fps.

Why is it hard to make the decision?

Steve

I feel your pain... I've got a rather tired 300rum here that should get a barrel, but I'm not sure I want to play with the rums again. If remmy isn't putting out brass, I may as well relegate my brass supply to my other rums and do something else.

For now she is still putting up .5 to .6 moa groups with 225hdy's and rl33 but fouling quickly. I've likely got a couple of hundred rounds to shoot before I have to tear her down and the decision is getting to me a bit.

Why not do a 9" twist and try your current load in her. My 8" twist 7stw still likes 140ab's at 3350 fps... They just spin a bit faster than my 10" twist spun them; I can take advantage of the 195's too if I take a fancy to them...

I feel your pain... I've got a rather tired 300rum here that should get a barrel, but I'm not sure I want to play with the rums again. If remmy isn't putting out brass, I may as well relegate my brass supply to my other rums and do something else.

For now she is still putting up .5 to .6 moa groups with 225hdy's and rl33 but fouling quickly. I've likely got a couple of hundred rounds to shoot before I have to tear her down and the decision is getting to me a bit.

Why not do a 9" twist and try your current load in her. My 8" twist 7stw still likes 140ab's at 3350 fps... They just spin a bit faster than my 10" twist spun them; I can take advantage of the 195's too if I take a fancy to them...

If I can find the original reamer that is where I am leaning. I'll probably lose 100fps. But that seems like a good trade for a couple of lbs.:D

BnG

You think we can do a switch barrel on that rifle? Tell me more.

Steve

If I can find the original reamer that is where I am leaning. I'll probably lose 100fps. But that seems like a good trade for a couple of lbs.:D

BnG

You think we can do a switch barrel on that rifle? Tell me more.

Steve

I doubt you would even loose that. My 27" 7stw (8" twist) was shooting my pet 140ab/rl25 load faster by a few fps than 2 different 26" Remington stw's the last time we had multiple rifles over the Oehler the same day. I was at 3340 fps; they were at 3300 to 3325 fps. Rem uses just over 9" for their twist rate.

I doubt you would even loose that. My 27" 7stw (8" twist) was shooting my pet 140ab/rl25 load faster by a few fps than 2 different 26" Remington stw's the last time we had multiple rifles over the Oehler the same day. I was at 3340 fps; they were at 3300 to 3325 fps. Rem uses just over 9" for their twist rate.

I am figuring 25 fps per inch of barrel lost. It could be more, probably not less. I still think I can get 3500 fps out of a 26" barrel and the 180 class bullet. So if I go 9" twist I can take the 181g Hammer Hunter Make it a bit longer and shorten the baring surface a bit and have a very slick 180g bullet that should run very far at that starting vel. This bullet too could render my rifle a single shot. I could always go to the 215g Hammer and be able to seat deep enough to continue to use the magazine.

Steve

Ok the decision has been made.

I was looking up the contour of my old barrel to have a 375 contoured to the same so it will drop into the stock. The old barrel is a Lilja #7 30". So I was on the Lilja site to get the dimensions and thought I would just take a quick look at what he had on hand. Uh oh, there sits a 30" .338 Sendero contour in a 9" twist. At my elevation this will stabilize the Hammer Hunter 307g.

The barrel will be at my door on Fri. I will be doing 338 Lapua imp 40* shoulder. Should be able to push the 307g Hammer Hunter to 3200 plus fps. This thing is gonna shoot to the curve of the earth.

Looks like I will be making a trip down to Dillon to see Bigngreen so he can get this all put together.

Since I got the 338 barrel Brian is getting the 375 to go with a 700 action that is sitting in Bigngreen's shop. So in the end we will still get to play with the .375.

Steve

Huh, what just happened :D:D:D

I feel a bit like a woman getting ready to go out for an evening on the town. Does this dress make me look fat?

So done is done. I will be shooting .338. Now we just gotta keep Brian on task and re-barrel that 6.5 ultra cat that you have sitting there waiting for instructions with the .375. He is now waffling about doing an 8mm.:rolleyes: He'll come around.

Steve

Attachments

• barrel.jpeg
    barrel.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 103
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.