My new hunting rifle

• Thread starter Deleted member 103481
  • Start date
No issues with seekins 0.87" rings, so we are back in business, even better this ring height is perfect for off hand shooting. This rifle shoulders phenomenally. Now to getting some powder through it!

loaded 75 and 75.5 grains of rl26 at 3.720 coal for an initial range trip. I don't think I will have any pressure issues with that load but I'd like to not waste a bunch of time in the reloading room. Things are moving along!

View attachment 186880View attachment 186881View attachment 186882
Have you recorded any velocities yet with that 21" barrel?

Have you recorded any velocities yet with that 21" barrel?

not yet, I am between chronographs and not in a hurry as I don't really care at this point.

I just need to shoot it, between bad weather, an infant and work I've had little time to play with the new toy besides gun room tinkering.

That's one beautiful looking rifle. That McWalnut looks great with the stainless action/barrel.

thanks, I'm very happy with how it turned out.. so happy I'm wondering if I need a pair:eek: (I wish)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP that's a beautiful rifle. How's the action feel? I've always wanted a deviant due to the solid tight feel of the action, is the tenacity comparable? Kinda bummed to see that bolt handle hitting on the better fitting ring height.

Last edited:
OP that's a beautiful rifle. How's the action feel? I've always wanted a deviant due to the solid tight feel of the action, is the tenacity comparable? Kinda bummed to see that bolt handle hitting on the better fitting ring height.

action feels great it is smooth tight and glassy, seems like all they did with the tenacity was offer less options and streamline the manufacturing process to cut the price. That was perfect for me as I didn't need or want the options and the simple action body worked well for a hunting style rifle look. I have never had a deviant but I would imagine it's comparable. Actions are hard to describe and the feel can be subjective but I like it for sure.

As for bolt handle, i was also bummed at first. I could have had it turned down but tried a slightly higher ring first and I liked the result, I have no issue with the current ring height it still may be too low to fit a 50+ mm objective scope. ARC extra lows are extremely low, I'm not sure I've seen any in the wild on a rifle before. The rings on it now are still lower than any NightForce makes, and way lower than ARC lows. Better fitting is not always as low as you can go IMO it's when it shoulders correctly and you can practically do it in your sleep. Had this ring height been too high I would have had the handle modified, Alex didn't seem concerned about it being difficult at all. That said, I hope they do offer the smaller diameter handles they mentioned to me especially for people who want to skip the 20 moa base and mount a small scope low to the receiver. It would further improve what I think is probably the best deal on the market for actions.

action feels great it is smooth tight and glassy, seems like all they did with the tenacity was offer less options and streamline the manufacturing process to cut the price. That was perfect for me as I didn't need or want the options and the simple action body worked well for a hunting style rifle look. I have never had a deviant but I would imagine it's comparable. Actions are hard to describe and the feel can be subjective but I like it for sure.

As for bolt handle, i was also bummed at first. I could have had it turned down but tried a slightly higher ring first and I liked the result, I have no issue with the current ring height it still may be too low to fit a 50+ mm objective scope. ARC extra lows are extremely low, I'm not sure I've seen any in the wild on a rifle before. The rings on it now are still lower than any NightForce makes, and way lower than ARC lows. Better fitting is not always as low as you can go IMO it's when it shoulders correctly and you can practically do it in your sleep. Had this ring height been too high I would have had the handle modified, Alex didn't seem concerned about it being difficult at all. That said, I hope they do offer the smaller diameter handles they mentioned to me especially for people who want to skip the 20 moa base and mount a small scope low to the receiver. It would further improve what I think is probably the best deal on the market for actions.

Do you think this would've fixed the problem with bolt handle clearance?

Do you think this would've fixed the problem with bolt handle clearance?

Quite possible, had they started the taper a bit earlier I would sa probably. Contact happened about middle way down the handle so it would be close, I only needed like 4-5 thousandths to clear it when pushing up on the bolt. Should be simple to file/sand/turn down that shaft a touch more if it wasn't quite there. Nice find

First rounds down
C70C5397-8009-48E9-985F-6ADFD0860815.jpeg

sighters and first group
4C2671DF-F5C8-406E-AF42-698F4D9FC2EF.jpeg

I think she wants to shoot!

Tried to find max....Did get a recoil increase at the top end with rl26., no bolt lift issues but I've heard rl26 can throw a recoil increase as a pressure sign, so I'm calling it max. Going to back down into that flat spot and play around. Maxed out at 3009 fps flat spot was at 2850

Short barreled magnums are pointless... might as well just do a 308 :rolleyes:

Dang that's really awesome velocity with such a short barrel!
Kinda makes we wish Id gone with a 24" instead of 26" for my 30 SM.
What chronograph are you using?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts