What to re-barrel my 6.5x284

arawls88

So I was gifted a savage 111 6.5x284 a couple years back. With ammo being scarce and me not having the time to reload, I'm left with the choice of rebarreling to a more common caliber with available ammo or complete offload the gun(not really an option). So what would y'all do?? All comments appreciated.

Edit : calibers I already have. 223, 22-250, 6.5G,6.5CM,.308, 30-06, 7mm mag, 35 Whelen.

Last edited:
Since it is a long action I see a 6.5x06 as a simple easy to load for cal. A endless supply of inexpensive 25x06 & 30-06 brass. One pass thru a 6.5x06 sizer, load & shoot. No trimming or neck turning required. Same performance as the 6.5PRC or 6.5x284. My 6.5 takes elk & deer cleanly with minimum recoil & a flat trajectory..

Since it is a long action I see a 6.5x06 as a simple easy to load for cal. A endless supply of inexpensive 25x06 & 30-06 brass. One pass thru a 6.5x06 sizer, load & shoot. No trimming or neck turning required. Same performance as the 6.5PRC or 6.5x284. My 6.5 takes elk & deer cleanly with minimum recoil & a flat trajectory..
The OP wants FACTORY ammo ! there is NONE for a 6.5-06 and he doesn't RELOAD ! WP

So I was gifted a savage 111 6.5x284 a couple years back. With ammo being scarce and me not having the time to reload, I'm left with the choice of rebarreling to a more common caliber with available ammo or complete offload the gun(not really an option). So what would y'all do?? All comments appreciated.

270 Win - 280 AI - 30-06 Lots of those 3 avail in stores ! WP

If you hadn't said factory ammo, a 25-284 would be a nice fit. The 280AI is great as well.

If you go with a either a .280 or .280 Ackley Improved, just find what it likes to shoot and then stock up on ammo via the Internet, home delivery. I like to have at least a 100rds of any good load, especially for hunts, whether factory or handloaded. 30-06 and such is everywhere we all know. Good luck to you

I think I'm going to go the 280AI route, kinda wanted to try a 25-06 again too. Not in a rush though, I just wanted some ideas/opinions.

For far less than the cost of a new barrel get some reloading gear & reload the excellent 6.5x284 you have. Reloading will allow you to enjoy your rifle more & custom ammo that suits your needs will always be at your finger tips...

For far less than the cost of a new barrel get some reloading gear & reload the excellent 6.5x284 you have. Reloading will allow you to enjoy your rifle more & custom ammo that suits your needs will always be at your finger tips...
Yes sir I have lapua and nosler brass, 6.5 pills and some 215 primers. Just don't have a dedicated reloading area/room. Hard when you're on the road working honestly. Or maybe that's just my excuse.

Leave it in the safe until you have time to reload, you already have lots of rifles that'll work

Edit : calibers I already have. 223, 22-250, 6.5G,6.5CM,.308, 30-06, 7mm mag, 35 Whelen.
I would look at the 7mm-08 always been a great round

You don't need a dedicated loading room. There are portable stands to mount your press on like the one here. Or for a few bucks you can make one out of wood. Load a few rounds when your home. Also lots of used loading presses & systems available. Places like " Gun Broker ". You can advertise on the gun forums for used loading equipment. And of course there are all the looney gun cranks like myself that would bend over backwards to help you out with questions. Fun, fun, fun.....
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012829921?pid=324379 The picture of my wild pet bobncat on the porch is just for fun.. fun.....
Jan cat 001.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.