Re-Barrel to what?

No you don't have to go up in caliper you can go up or down or stay the same. I think your confused on rebarreling. Usually when I think of rebarreling it pulling the old barrel off and putting new on. So you can go with any caliper that fits the bolt face and action length. Are you thinking of boring the current barrel bigger?

Reading this after being up 10 minuites and no coffee yet so still in a fog.
Question..... when you rebarrel a gun you have to go from a smaller caliber to larger caliber right in all cases? Bore needs to be cut bigger in all cases ? Like I said just got up so sorry about a stupid question this early in the am. Marty
No. You can go either way because you are completely replacing the barrel with whatever caliber you choose within the limits of the action length and bolt head size.

Since you are on a budget, I would recommend the 6.5 PRC. You can get inexpensive dies from Hornady, Lee and Wilson. The brass is cheap and available.

The .264 Winchester Magnum (I have three barrels worth of experience) has a neck that is too short for half neck sizing and holding long bullets. It will also require deep deep seating to fit in your magazine. The PRC was designed for todays bullets the .264 Win Mag was designed for flat based two diameter spitzers. Got any of those on hand?

McGowen does an excellent job. I have custom 6.5 barrels from Bartlein (I was an early customer), Krieger and Rock Creek. My McGowen barrels have produced my best groups to date.

You can expect about 150 rounds of top accuracy from a .26 Nosler barrel. Double that if you nitrocarburize the barrel. Ask Bartlein if you don't believe me. Also unless you plan to walk around with a 28 inch barrel and brake there is only a few feet per second gain over the PRC. Secondly, your flimsy Savage action won't support that much barrel hanging off of it.

Get the barrel nitrocarburized to extend life, eliminate the need for "fouling shots" and reduce barrel drag. No naked bullets. HBN coating.

Ask yourself how much barrel length you want and which actual bullets you are willing to pay $50 or more a hundred for. High capacity cases aren't much advantage to a two foot barrel.

Yes, I plan on removing the old 300win mag barrel and replacing it with a small caliber one.

I'd like to stay under 26" total length (preferably shorted if i can). The 6.5PRC or 6.5 Sherman needs what length barrel? I have an X-caliber barrel on my 25WSM and its a shooter too.

Appreciate all the comments. Exactly what i was looking for.

Yes, I plan on removing the old 300win mag barrel and replacing it with a small caliber one.

I'd like to stay under 26" total length (preferably shorted if i can). The 6.5PRC or 6.5 Sherman needs what length barrel? I have an X-caliber barrel on my 25WSM and its a shooter too.

I have 22" carbon proof 6.5 PRC. It is showing excellent potential. 147's at 2900ish and 140's at 3000ish. I would prefer a 20 to run with my suppressor though. The short mags seem to be effective with a shorter barrel.

It's ******** about the barrel length and savage action. I have several savages with 28 plus heavy barrels and they all shoot and function very well.

The 6.5 Sherman Short Tactical will operate efficiently at 2.9" coal and was designed as an efficient short action with smooth feeding. The bullet is positioned properly in the case neck, not taking up capacity. It will launch a 140 grain bullet north of 3000' even with a 20" barrel.

I'm thinking about re-barreling a Savage 300 win mag to something smaller. Was thinking a .264 win mag or 6.5PRC. Also tossed the idea of a 240Wby (yes, need a smaller bolt head for this one).

Any other ideas? I like different chamberings but common enough for dies and brass. No real set purpose for the rifle. Hunting deer mostly but no competition shooting

Also, what barrel is the best bang for the buck? Not looking to spend $500-$600 on a match barrel. Just an affordable good shooting barrel.

what about lengt and twist?

For the money, Pac-Nor barrels and rebarreling can not be beat. Use their high/ultra match grade barrels for all of $50.00 more than standard. I vote for a 264 Win Mag, 26" barrel, 1:7", 1:7.5", or 1:8" for the heavy slugs, get either the polygonal or 5 groove and use a .625" muzzle diameter. then thread it for a muzzle brake so you can watch the slug hit the target, after that find a recipe for a good load and have lots of fun with it.

Sorry on the late post here and not trying hijack thread so for give me on my earlier question this am.
Re barrel is putting on a completely new barrel on stock and gun and changing bolt face etc if needed.
Then another way to do it is cutting a barrel ( the bore ) the length of barrel ( ha ha , have to or you blow your self up , ha ha ). So cutting a barrel and making a new caliber out of a old barrel you have to go to a larger caliber correct ? . Sorry for the stupid question. So while I am here you could always go to the next bigger size caliber then what you have cutting into a new barrel if wall thickness is there ? .
Right ? Like could you go from a 243 to a 6.5 creedmoor ? And if so does it make since to re-bore a barrel to a bigger caliber ? With today's prices might be cheaper to just buy a new barrel ? Thanks trying to Answer some dumb questions here , but always thought about this question. Marty

Sorry on the late post here and not trying hijack thread so for give me on my earlier question this am.
Re barrel is putting on a completely new barrel on stock and gun and changing bolt face etc if needed.
Then another way to do it is cutting a barrel ( the bore ) the length of barrel ( ha ha , have to or you blow your self up , ha ha ). So cutting a barrel and making a new caliber out of a old barrel you have to go to a larger caliber correct ? . Sorry for the stupid question. So while I am here you could always go to the next bigger size caliber then what you have cutting into a new barrel if wall thickness is there ? .
Right ? Like could you go from a 243 to a 6.5 creedmoor ? And if so does it make since to re-bore a barrel to a bigger caliber ? With today's prices might be cheaper to just buy a new barrel ? Thanks trying to Answer some dumb questions here , but always thought about this question. Marty
You don't want to try and rebore a barrel. Just get a new barrel properly cut,
Chambered, threaded, and installed

Ok. I was not sure if any one else did that. Thanks for answering a question I had for a long time. I always wanted to buy these shot out target barrels and re-bore them bigger and get rich ! Ha ha ha. Sounds like a bad move. Ha ha ha. Marty

I just bought a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro because the 6.5 PRC is reportedly decent on recoil and not a barrel burner.
Plus, unlike some older 6.5 cartridges, its longer neck permits the use of longer (heavier) bullets to be loaded W/O compressing the powder charge.

Eric B.

Go with the .264 Win. Mag. it's a fun cartridge, doesn't really kick
much and all the 6.5 guys seem to be taking to it lately for good
reason. With the right bullets it's a great cartridge.
Zeke

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.