Time to re-barrel

moosehunter

I have a 300WM on a Win mod. 70 action, MPI stock and a Bevon King SS match barrel. I originally got it in 1-9 twist to shoot the 240gr. MK. Since then Ive gone to the 208gr. A-Max and the 200gr. Sierra SBT for hunting. Its liked them both quite well. Now a few thousand rounds later the throat is about had it again as Ive set it back once already. Now Im looking at a Krieger barrel, same caliber but twisted for a good LR hunting bullet and in 27" to give me an inch for a future set back. Also Id like it throated for seating the bullets to fit the magazine and at the same time bieng close the the lands or even jammed, whichever is most accurate for the bullet of choice.
I know theres better calibers for this choice but Ive got all the set up for 300WM already and future plans for a 300 RUM build on a custom action.
Knowledge and input appreciated.

+1 on the twist and rifling! With your bullet choices, you would be seriously over twisting with a 9". Bartlein or Broughton would be other good barrel choices for the 5R....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.