Re-Barrel to what?

CjC73

I'm thinking about re-barreling a Savage 300 win mag to something smaller. Was thinking a .264 win mag or 6.5PRC. Also tossed the idea of a 240Wby (yes, need a smaller bolt head for this one).

Any other ideas? I like different chamberings but common enough for dies and brass. No real set purpose for the rifle. Hunting deer mostly but no competition shooting

Also, what barrel is the best bang for the buck? Not looking to spend $500-$600 on a match barrel. Just an affordable good shooting barrel.

what about lengt and twist?

I'm thinking about re-barreling a Savage 300 win mag to something smaller. Was thinking a .264 win mag or 6.5PRC. Also tossed the idea of a 240Wby (yes, need a smaller bolt head for this one).

Any other ideas? I like different chamberings but common enough for dies and brass. No real set purpose for the rifle. Hunting deer mostly but no competition shooting

Also, what barrel is the best bang for the buck? Not looking to spend $500-$600 on a match barrel. Just an affordable good shooting barrel.

Check out my website and call me if you want. One of my Max cases might fit the bill.

shermanwildcatcartridges.com

Last edited:

26 Nosler? Maybe overkill, but lightning in a bottle.

Have 2 - 257weatherbys.

Yes...the 26 Nosler was another I thought about.

I'll definitely check out that website.

Got one of those too. :p
Mark V stainless.

Who makes a good barrel that doesn't cost an insane amount. Especially since I'll have to get it chambered and threaded to the action. Which I'm guessing will be about $200-$300

McGowen makes a hell of a match grade prefit barrel for around $325 ready to screw on.
6.5 PRC is my vote, 26" 7.5 twist

Check out Northland Shooters Supply James is a good guy and will get you everything you need you can change that barrel in your garage in 30 minutes or less. He is a local guy to me but he ships stuff all over the country.

For the barrel, there are a ton of really good ones out there. I've had excellent luck with McGowen over the years for a moderately price barrel that will perform very well. I'm reluctant to admit it, but I'm currently working with an X-Caliber barrel in 7mm SAUM that's proving to be a genuine BR level accuracy barrel. I've only shot a couple (5) 100 yard groups with it so far and they've all been below .2" for 3 shots with two so far under .1". All my other shots have been at rocks betwen 1380 and 1430 yards.

For the chambering, what about a 6.5x300 Weatherby to match the rest of your Weatherbys?

How about a slightly smaller 30 cal cartridge? The 308 Norma will fit your magazine better than the 300 win mag. Norma brass is readily available. Case has long neck and with the 215 Berger it would be a wonderful hunting rifle.

A while back I did a comparison of a many of 30 cal cartridges with the 215 which I keep in my documents for reference. Here are a few showing you the case capacity and approximate performance.

300 WSM 79- 81 2700-2750

308 norma 86.5 2770

300 win mag 87.5 2800-2875

30 Nosler 89.8 2850-2900

300 PRC 99 2900-2950

If you plan to shoot much barrel life should be a consideration. Accuracy would be equally a factor.
I went with the 308 Win. with both being satisfied.

Last edited:
Reading this after being up 10 minuites and no coffee yet so still in a fog.
Question..... when you rebarrel a gun you have to go from a smaller caliber to larger caliber right in all cases? Bore needs to be cut bigger in all cases ? Like I said just got up so sorry about a stupid question this early in the am. Marty

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.